INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

. . . . & our EE cockrel - he has different color patterns on either side:

As of 7pm we are hearing at least three sets of peeps coming from under the silkie. I am going to wait until tomorrow to see how things are going. Momma is doing pretty well so far.
congrats.

Well my shipped eggs are not lost after all. It turns out the chickens have stopped laying for the year. I feel bad for all the mean thoughts I was having towards the PO. Still they have messed me over a few times so I don't feel too bad.

I am so mad right now. My mom found homes for a few of my dogs puppies a little over a week ago. They insured us that they were going to a good home. A few days ago the guys wife posted them for sale for $250! They are mutts! No one is going to pay $250 for a dog that is mixed with so many breeds it is funny. they are trying to say they are bulloxers. Thats not even a breed of dog! Tonight I get on the farm and garden section today and their they are again, but this time for $150. Why do people have to be so stupid? If they werent going to give them a good home, Why would they have took them and try to make a profit on them? I am even more frustrated since they took my 2 favorite puppies. I would of never guessed the people to have done something like this, the husband was really nice, the wife I didnt like so much. to make matters worse the husband is my step-dads boss. Guess who is getting a phone call tomorrow. Mom is going to handle the phone call, I dont think I would be very pleasant to talk to. Hopefully we can get the puppies back and find good homes for them. I know not chicken related but I need to rant.

Newbie question - How does outside sales work? Do people just have their birds in their vehicles and you walk around to see them? I went to Bloomington a little while ago, but didn't realize this was going on.

That's how it works, either from the backs of vans or trucks or with pens set up. Last year the sale area at Lebanon was in a covered pavilion rather than inside a building, so I decided I can shiver at my truck just as well and not have to transfer the birds. There weren't too many set up outside at Bloomington this time, so you might not have noticed them.

We use the Adordor door with the light sensor extension and have it installed on the inside of the coop. I've had to program it for last call, open early, close late, blah, blah, blah you name it. Our chicks had no idea they were supposed to go in at night, and seemed to prefer piling up outside of the closed door. UGH!
Anyway, all this to say the instructions that come with it are definitely written by an engineer, and if you need help with some 'translation' to common speak, I'm glad to help.
Ha ha! I can just picture a pile of sleeping chicks heaped up against the door. Probably be just my luck to have the same thing happen with our birds! Thanks for the offer of help! You undoubtedly will be hearing from me!

Last edited:
We use the Adordor door with the light sensor extension and have it installed on the inside of the coop. I've had to program it for last call, open early, close late, blah, blah, blah you name it. Our chicks had no idea they were supposed to go in at night, and seemed to prefer piling up outside of the closed door. UGH!
Anyway, all this to say the instructions that come with it are definitely written by an engineer, and if you need help with some 'translation' to common speak, I'm glad to help.
When I set up my auto door, I had to lift the door manually and toss each of the younger birds in for quite a few nights before they caught on. Takes patience. I set the alarm on my phone to remind me.

Toodlesmom described it perfectly. A heap of sleeping birds piled up against the closed door.

John

Last edited:
I'd like to know if anyone on the thread has solar experience.

I'd like to run my already-installed automatic door with solar rather than electricity if possible. I don't know a lot about it, but I think I need to have a panel, inverter, and battery. Just don't know what kind of each of those I'd need and where to get them. It would have to run the timer clock at the right speed 24 hrs.; door motor 2-3 times a day for about 3 minutes at a time.

Anyone have that kind of experience?
yellow-smiley-confused-emoticon.gif

If I get that solved, the next thing I'd like to do is run Three 50 watt bowl heaters throughout the winter off solar it it's not cost prohibitive to get thWhen I was researching doors I came across the Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door that can be converted to solar with a kit they sell. I don't know whether that would help you convert your existing door or not.
When I was researching coop pop doors, I came across the Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door. They sell a solar converter for an additional price. I don't know whether it could be used to convert your existing door, but you might want to take a look at it. http://www.chickendoors.com/products.htm

Back
Top Bottom