INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

0.jpg

The day off was great I was able to spend a lot of time with the peeps and my son. Anyone have a good idea how to tell these chicks male from female. The Father is possibly my white EE rooster or a Barred Rock Roo. The mothers of the eggs are possibly ISA Reds, Barred Rock, Jersey giant, Astralorp, Buff Orpington, or RIR. I assume most eggs came from The Isa Reds since I tried to select better looking larger brown eggs to hatch under the broody over a two day span of collection. I assume,( but am not sure) The all black one to be female and the Black one with the yellow dot on his head to be male, as for the 5 yellow ones I have no Idea. I also decided today that the two broodies are jersey giants and the astralorp is the one running around with the flock..

CCCCCHICKENS - Did your mom get the pups back? I sure hope so! That was a terrible way to treat you and to treat the dogs! Those folks must be a taco shy of a combination platter!

Quote:
Thanks, that's my biggest issue, I am so afraid of aggressive drivers, traffic. I still drive a lot but gees, its awful
My first accident ever was a roundabout. why did they make the things?
That one was a 2 lane one. I was hit so hard it put me in the exit ramp.
I am so afraid to drive anymore after that but have no choice.

Jchny- I've already been thru the "taking care of parents" stage. Try not to let yourself get to worn out. With all you are trying to do, and will be doing, it'll be so easy for you to get sick. Then where will everyone be!!! There are a lot of services, for free, out here that can help you!! I know our Lions club drives people for cancer treatments. And there are tons more, not only g'ment services . Pleases use them!! And if you add the stress and nerves from all of it.... It can just be too much!!! We have a local free buss for seniors too, and it even goes out to the county. They may not be comfortable using that, but check with your churches too! There are sooo many GOOD people out there , with time on their hands, that can and will help!! I'll be thinking of you!!

Mother- we only sell Indiana produce so we only have a limited time to sell during the year, hence the canned veggies :)

So I was getting worried about the second egg not making it and was giving it to today before removing it. They were laid the same day and set the same day and after candling the per night with the air sac more on the side of the egg vs the bottom I thought it was going to have issues.

Turns out it was good... Came home during my lunch break to have a peek and there was the first hole with a tiny beak sticking out. Both girls were off the nest and running around the pen to show the now three day old chick what to do. So fun to watch. They destroyed the food bowl by scratching it everywhere but the baby loved it and was picking food up from wherever it landed.

Excited about checking them out this morning, DH checked them last night while I was at work (I knew he could not wait). Said baby was out but still a little wet.
Success!

Has been fun watching both the moms play steal the egg from each other as they both think it is theirs. Hope the two mom thing works out for them both.
Going to make sure they get separated if they sit next time.

Also experienced my first after brooding poop... Holy moley.... No wonder she never got off the nest.. Can not imagine how she would have moved with that much in the digestive tract. Good enough to make me and the hubby retch..go Momma!

Anyhoo... I will be making time either this evening or tomorrow for updates. Worked a 14 hr day yesterday and I need to take some Vicki time or I am going to burn out.

Hello again, everyone. :) I'm back now, probably as active as before but we'll see. Sorry if I missed any posts between my last one and now.

As an explanation for my absence, well, a game came out last weekend. :oops: I don't get into games much, but I have been playing the games in this series since I was quite young and it has sentiment to me. And on top of that, I've had homework and classes and I've been waiting on exam scores, so I've been prioritizing my time around school and the new game. Anyway, my last two exams were an 89 (for Philosophy) and a 97 (for Chemistry), so I'm feeling pretty good there. :D

The hens are not happy at the moment, mostly because there are more feathers on the ground than on some of them. I swear, I could bundle up all of those feathers and have another hen! It looks like a hen exploded on my compost pile because there have been so many feathers under the roosts in the morning. Phew!

Margaret, the darling Silkie I picked up from Brad over the summer, has started to squat and so she is definitely a pullet at this point (not that I was worried anymore about that ;) ). Judging by her comb and wattles, I'm thinking she'll lay soon!

I'm still waiting on eggs from the rest of the pullets, though I suspect if I took a hike through the woods I would find some as I've heard cackling out there. :barnie Silly pullets!

In regards to possible new additions next year, my turkeys are going to have to be put on hold until further into the future. I just don't have the space for them or the funds to make more space. So I'll be living vicariously through those of you who do have turkeys--post lots of pictures please. ;) I am still planning on building a barn in the distant future, so I'll just have to plan for space for them in it.

Okay, I think I've rambled enough now. :rolleyes: See y'all around.

Do you have any youngsters or new birds in your flock? The only thing I can think of is Coccidiosis, which would normally only affect younger birds and sometimes adults that are new to the property. Hopefully someone else can chime in, as I have no clue as to anything else that causes bloody droppings.

A couple more possibilities I've found from a quick search:

Have you wormed them recently? Bloody droppings can indicate internal parasites, which should be addressed as soon as possible.

Also, have you fed them anything red? Sometimes, if they are fed red foods like red peppers, tomatoes, etc., their droppings can look red as a result of vegetable skins or juices. This honestly doesn't look like the case to me, but you never know.

Last edited:
Do you have any youngsters or new birds in your flock? The only thing I can think of is Coccidiosis, which would normally only affect younger birds and sometimes adults that are new to the property. Hopefully someone else can chime in, as I have no clue as to anything else that causes bloody droppings.

These are 6 week old pullets that this is coming from. They've been in the main coop and had exposure to everyone else since I got them. I added 3 adult birds to the flock about a month ago. I have not wormed anyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom