INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I would say coccidiosis, but don't panic.

The coccidia life cycle is over pretty quickly. In order to keep your birds infected and suffering, they have to have the opportunity to eat more coccidia. It is not infective immediately after it has been pooped out, it takes at least a day for bloody poops to "mature" and become dangerous.

What you need to do is a total litter change, at least once a day.

Also, try to keep spilled food to a minimum, so they don't have an incentive to root round for food amongst the poop; and keep the food and water dishes clean and poop free.

In five or six days, things should be pretty much cleared up. and the good news is, your chicks will have gained some immunity.

Woot! Lebanon show coming up tomorrow AM! No idea what I'm doing! Soon to shampoo and blow dry a silkie, as everyone seems to expect this of the breed; he hasn't been through it before and I don't expect him to be happy.

Best - exop

Last edited:
For the Lebanon show tomorrow. There was some talk of an area being set aside for members of this thread to meet up? Does anyone know of this?

My partner and I will be there around 9 tomorrow. Hoping to see some of you!

I have finally recuperated from my brother's wedding last week. I almost have all my baking supplies washed. Taking care of sick chickens and rapidly growing puppies take away from things I love doing the most like dishes and cleaning...not!!
tongue.png

I wanted to share some pics:

The cake that my brother and his wife cut into.
The 140+ cupcakes (chocolate,vanilla,pumpkin spice) I will never do cupcake wars! But I definitely would be willing to do a big BYC get-together!!

My brother and his new wife. They were married in the Brown County Park amphitheater and it was really gorgeous. Twinkling lights and sparklers!!

And my 7 puppies! We have all but two of the brown ones sold. I am keeping the one at the top left. She is a little rambunctious, but so darn cute!! They have been running after the chickens and the chickens don't seem to mind. They will have excellent immune systems after running around the yard...eating chicken poop just like they're mother!!

And last, since this is a chicken forum after all, this is my little mille fleur, Martha. I named her that because the first time I saw a mille fleur was on a story of Martha Stewart's chickens and she was holding one. I fell in love!

Hope everyone has a good weekend and who ever is going to Lebanon, enjoy and stay warm!!

Last edited:
I agree with exop, it sounds like Coccidiosis. As long as they aren't lethargic or acting sick in any other way, I would follow exop's advice.

If they do start acting sick, though, you can pick up some Amprolium (usually brand name Corid) from the feed store to treat them. I use the 20% soluble powder, but there is a 9.6% liquid as well, I guess. Both are administered in their drinking water. Dosage for the powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for at least 5 days. Dosage for the liquid is 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days. Rinse out and refill their waterers daily while they are being treated. Also, do not stop the treatment early, even if they appear healthy, as this can cause an Amprolium resistance in your native Cocci population. Oh, and if you have laying hens with the 6 week olds, I would separate the youngsters to treat as there is a recommended egg withdrawal of 10 days after the final dose of Amprolium. The adults should be immune to your native Cocci by now and so they shouldn't need treatment anyway.

Pipd and exop- I only have limited experience with coccidosis but I thought, based on what I had read this year when I dealt with it, that If there is bloody pooh it's better to treat right away because once they start acting sick it's quite advanced. Are you saying that's not necessarily the case?

Momma was stir crazy, so we went outside for about 5 minutes. Hopefully I didn't give the kids a chill. It wasn't too bad out today.

0.jpg

I went out to give Snow a drink and make sure the hatch was going, and this little head popped out. Something its screwy with my genetics lol. I don't care, its adorable!

Pipd and exop- I only have limited experience with coccidosis but I thought, based on what I had read this year when I dealt with it, that If there is bloody pooh it's better to treat right away because once they start acting sick it's quite advanced. Are you saying that's not necessarily the case?
From my experience I would treat immediately if they already have bloody poo with corid.
[COLOR=333333]Momma was stir crazy, so we went outside for about 5 minutes. Hopefully I didn't give the kids a chill. It wasn't too bad out today.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I went out to give Snow a drink and make sure the hatch was going, and this little head popped out. Something its screwy with my genetics lol. I don't care, its adorable![/COLOR]
looks like a little partridge! Congrats.

Thanks for the help everyone. I cleaned out the pen and put down fresh shavings (a much smaller amount!) I looked for corid at TSC but the one in Plainfield was out so I guess I'll check with Lebanon. Everyone is still acting fine so...

Oh and my statement about where the birds are wasn't very clear. The 6 week olds are in the same building as the rest if my flock but not in the same pen. They've had contact with each other through the chicken wire.

Quote:
Thanks! It has to be from the blue side. The whites go back umpteen generations as white, so it is definitely a throw back lol. Partridge is pretty though. I'm kinda excited about it. I don't think partridge is unusual, but I don't see them around here much. I know there is a black and a white under her too, but she had 14 eggs under there, so who knows what she has.

The reason I said to go with what exop said is because if they are not acting ill, then maybe they can build up an immunity without having to have medicine run through their system. If it were me, I would keep the Corid on hand and treat only if the birds started acting sick. That's my personal thought on the topic.

In other news, my little Exchequer Leghorn, Roha, appears to have laid her first egg at last!! :weee She is just under 24 weeks old today! :D I need to get pictures still. The egg is so tiny and looks like my Sebrights' eggs except whiter. My Sebrights have stopped laying and are either molting or have finished their molts for the season, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of them! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom