INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Managed to spend a cold day at Lebanon without bringing home more than I took. Unfortunately, though, I only brought home one less than I took; that one was the peachick that EllieMaeRans had reserved ahead of time.
Like most others, I had no luck finding anyone at the meetup table, but did see EMR and LAMom.
None of my birds were really show ready this time except my BCM cock and hen, but I took some anyhow so they would have the experience of being around so many birds, being handled by the judge, etc. At least none of them were DQed! I had marked my white frizzle cochin as out because he had managed to drag himself through poop in the cage overnight and I didn't want to deal with trying to clean him up. He got judged and got a 1 anyhow--judge must not have handled him or he would have seen the mess!
Blue Grass show at Frankfort KY next weekend, Ohio National and Indiana Poultry Breeders in November, and that's it for the year unless I want to really travel, which isn't sounding too appealing.

So my babies have little gold colored bugs crawling on them. What can I do for little guys?I don't want to do anything that will harm the chicks.I was going to use DE, but with the respiratory issues we just had, I don't think its a good idea. Any suggestions?

I finally got to see a blue sumatra in person. I got the list of showers so next spring I can try the old postal system and write a letter to see about picking up chicks all the way in greencastle.

I'm in Greencastle, and the blue sumatras, belong to my friend Terry. His son is out of 4-H now (as of this year) o the little neighbor girl, also in our 4-H poultry club is showing them now.

We went to the show. My DH was in weather shock and didn't wear a coat!! It was 80+ in Brazil when he left! Al the birds were gorgeous!! DH wants ducks now!! I want a couple turkeys and sabastapole geese!! Soooo many chickens to choose from. We did stop by the table but it was a bit late , and cold, and had everything to see. Did see Peabirdhaven and also a neighbor of mine that was showing. All of my LF seem so small now! And after seeing certain breeds up close it easy to see the difference between barnyard and show birds!!

Ok so now that the DH thinks the call ducks are fun.....who has them? And what do they need, different than chickens? And there were some beautiful turkeys there too!!!
Call ducks are nice. Even the males. I have not had good expriences with the larger breed males. they like to fly, and call to each other a lot. If you get them I would cover the top of th pen, unless you dont mind them flying around.

I had a fun time at the show and didnt do half bad, but didnt get champion row or anything (BTW im talking about the junior show not the open show). I went back to the Indiana Bycers table frequently and didnt meet anyone there. Well i met up with sallyinindiana there, but that was planed., I was at the show all day, just left for about 30 mins to eat. I ende up meeting little ameraucana mom, ellymay rans (spelling?), and sallyinindiana. So many of you went. I wish I could of met more of you, next time we should wear name tags. I was suppose to meet Duane Shroder and couldnt find him.

I bought 12 chickens:
1 pair of salmon favorelle bantams
1 pair of blue/black ameraucana bantams
1 pair of crele old english game bantams
1 pair of mottled cochin bantams
1 mille fleur bearded belgian d'uccle pullet (im sure I spelled at least one word wrong!)
1 beared buff laced polish pullet
1 white rock cockerel- he is huge! And so calm. He is quite a bit above my knee when he stands all the way up and is definaltey at least 12 lbs but I need to weigh him.
1 barred rock cockerel

Managed to spend a cold day at Lebanon without bringing home more than I took. Unfortunately, though, I only brought home one less than I took; that one was the peachick that EllieMaeRans had reserved ahead of time.
Like most others, I had no luck finding anyone at the meetup table, but did see EMR and LAMom.
None of my birds were really show ready this time except my BCM cock and hen, but I took some anyhow so they would have the experience of being around so many birds, being handled by the judge, etc. At least none of them were DQed! I had marked my white frizzle cochin as out because he had managed to drag himself through poop in the cage overnight and I didn't want to deal with trying to clean him up. He got judged and got a 1 anyhow--judge must not have handled him or he would have seen the mess!
Blue Grass show at Frankfort KY next weekend, Ohio National and Indiana Poultry Breeders in November, and that's it for the year unless I want to really travel, which isn't sounding too appealing.

Talked to the guy who runs the Indiana Poultry Breeder show when we were at Lebanon and he said that it was being cancelled this year. The cancellation will be posted in the November issue of the poultry press.

We went to the show. My DH was in weather shock and didn't wear a coat!! It was 80+ in Brazil when he left! Al the birds were gorgeous!! DH wants ducks now!! I want a couple turkeys and sabastapole geese!! Soooo many chickens to choose from. We did stop by the table but it was a bit late , and cold, and had everything to see. Did see Peabirdhaven and also a neighbor of mine that was showing. All of my LF seem so small now! And after seeing certain breeds up close it easy to see the difference between barnyard and show birds!!

Ok so now that the DH thinks the call ducks are fun.....who has them? And what do they need, different than chickens? And there were some beautiful turkeys there too!!!

My son has a pair of grey call ducks. When I first noticed them this summer-I loved them! Then my son went to a swap and said he couldn't come home empty handed, so we ended up with some call ducks. They are so much fun to watch swimming in their pool. A friend has her pekin ducks in with her layer hens, so we just copied her. We have a young quad of silver phoenix in their own house with a run, so put the ducks in with them (just added a small pool and a dog house to the run so the ducks don't have to go up into the house). They get along well. They all eat and drink together.

Pipd posted: Oh, and if you post some recent pictures of your Orpington ladies I can give you my best guess at how close to laying they are. I'm betting it'll be a while, though, because as I understand, English Orpingtons (and especially Jubilee Orpingtons) are slow to mature.

Pipd~ I took some new photos today! They are supposed to be 7 months old. Thanks for your expertise.
smile.png

Adeline, English Jubilee Orpington

Bonbon, English Chocolate Orpington ~ Bantam (Adeline's fluff in background)

Bonbon's fluff in foreground.

Photobomb by my infamous floppy-combed RIR, Nene!

All of my flock, except my EE must've been behind a bush.

Back
Top Bottom