INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Just found this Indiana thread. Happy to be a member of BYC, we bought our first chickens ever (8) last Friday. 4 pullets, NHR and amber links, and 4 straight run. 2 each of SLW and leghorn. After reading thru some of this thread, I'm now worried that some of the pullets won't be girls. We want between 4 and 6 hens, and no rooster unless he's well behaved.

Building a pallet coop, the 4 x 8 base is on the posts already, but no sides up yet. 3 stall laying beds are made, ready to put on when the walls are done. Amazing how many pallets are out there for the taking! Dpn't know why anyone would buy the cheaply made things, unless they just can't build something.

How young is too young to feed the chicks anything but the starter feed? I found a fly that hibernated, only to become chick feed this morning. How funny that was watching them play keep away with each other when the fly got cornered lol.

My wife and I would like to meet someone in the Indy area to see a working coop, to make sure we are on the right track. We live just south of Speedway, near the 8 Second Saloon.

Steve and Sondra

welcome-byc.gif
I am also building a pallet coop. I have pics on my profile and on this thread if you would like to check mine out. Its not all done yet. The weather is holding it back. I have to get it done soon tho. I have many chicks that will be growing up soon and will need a place to stay. They will get up to 5 months free rent then they will have to start paying me in eggs. LOL

I will. Do I post them up the same way I do with others, load them up on Photo Bucket and then post the image code?

Wifey is wondering about the little things pecking/possibly eating the paper towels in their brooder pen. We have paper towels on top of the wood shavings, to help clean up from the pooping machines.

Last edited:
Mind don't mind rain, but hate wind and snow. They are picky. Last time it snowed I had to rake a path in their run so they would come out.
Cluck~ how's that incubator coming along? I have been keeping an eye out for a cabinet here. I really need to put a floor on the coop this weekend, and then start a tractor for these 4 eggs that will hopefully make it to hatch day. I drew out plans today. 4'x8' triangle shaped, since it gets so windy here, figured it was the best.
Got my box, heat lamp, feeder and waterer set up for the 4. Hoping they all make it. Going to collect eggs again end of march to hatch again.

Mind don't mind rain, but hate wind and snow. They are picky. Last time it snowed I had to rake a path in their run so they would come out.
Cluck~ how's that incubator coming along? I have been keeping an eye out for a cabinet here. I really need to put a floor on the coop this weekend, and then start a tractor for these 4 eggs that will hopefully make it to hatch day. I drew out plans today. 4'x8' triangle shaped, since it gets so windy here, figured it was the best.
Got my box, heat lamp, feeder and waterer set up for the 4. Hoping they all make it. Going to collect eggs again end of march to hatch again.

my incubator is coming along. I posted more pics yesterday on here. I fixed the door, sanded the whole thing down, re stained , and put plexi glass for the viewing window in the door. I hope your eggs hatch out just fine!

^^^thanks I will. Looks like a nice, active thread. I'm going to bed now, after I check on the little clucks, of course. No worries, the snow will melt in a couple days.

I cant wait till next weekend! I will have around 60 eggs go into lock down. They are all mystery eggs that i received from someone. They will be mix breed all all kinds of different breeds. My only concern is he said there might be some duck eggs mixed in but i cant tell the difference in what i have so maybe there isnt any duck eggs mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom