INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Quote: Thought I'd chime in on this one.

If I could only own 1 chicken book....My most favorite book of all times for chickens is:

The Small Scale Poultry Flock by Harvey Ussery.

A lot of the book content is also on his website. LOVE LOVE LOVE his book.

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Poultry.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the articles list.

Edited to add:
This is a "husbandry" type book rather than listings of diseases, etc. I also own a couple other books that I'd recommend as well...

Last edited:
So that is why when I went through the banties, there were none with feathered legs...lol.  They also had Pekin and Runner ducks as well as the dark ones.  BBB and BBW turkeys, White Leghorn and Cornish X chicks.  I'm with you on the ducks.  I want some, but just can't make the jump into waterfowl yet.  I ended up bringing home 6 Cornish X and 2 BBB turkeys.  I decided that if I am going to talk about the differences between my birds and the commercial birds, then I need to have experience with both.  But it is also poultry math, and DSO will not be overjoyed.  I am currently just going with hoping he doesn't notice them mixed in with all my other chicks.....

Also overheard that tomorrow they will be getting in Jersey Giants, Light Brahmas, and guineas.   I want all three and will be avoiding the Martinsville RK like the plague.

Haha yes I did! Sooo sorry. I was there too long trying to figure out which ones were the d'uccles I had a conference call at 2 and just thought heck I'll just take them all..watch none of them be it anyway! ! Lol!

I also heard the talk about new ones coming in. Only specific I heard was the light brahma. The employee was talking to someone else and I just wasn't really listening. I had a four year old holding the dog leash while I tried figuring out which chicks to get. I'll get some pics soon. Letting them rest. I always leave them be for a day cuz I always feel like they've had such a stressful start! First out of the egg into a box Shipping to bright lights and people people people! The bantys are sooooo tiny omy!

So I'm beginning to suspect that I have two maybe three roos out of my 19 BAs. One I could deal with, but thats it. They're only 4 weeks since hatch date and two have large combs beginning to turn red!!! If I end up with more than one the rest will be rehomed or processed. If anyone wants dibs let me know.

Haha yes I did! Sooo sorry. I was there too long trying to figure out which ones were the d'uccles I had a conference call at 2 and just thought heck I'll just take them all..watch none of them be it anyway! ! Lol!

I also heard the talk about new ones coming in. Only specific I heard was the light brahma. The employee was talking to someone else and I just wasn't really listening. I had a four year old holding the dog leash while I tried figuring out which chicks to get. I'll get some pics soon. Letting them rest. I always leave them be for a day cuz I always feel like they've had such a stressful start! First out of the egg into a box Shipping to bright lights and people people people! The bantys are sooooo tiny omy!

You don't happen to know what other breeds of bantams were mixed in do you?

mIL's new babies. 2 polish 2EE and the smallest chick I have ever seen. I think she is Oegb, not sure of color though.

i Love oegb's!!!

sent from your friendly neighborhood poultry raiser! cluck... cluck...

You don't happen to know what other breeds of bantams were mixed in do you?

I really don't. I know the 6 I got were the only with feathered shanks. They were all very tiny. I swear they were all smaller than my Cochins or silkies at hatch!

Let me poke around see if I can figure a few out. I should've asked what hatchery they get them from too but didn't.

I think our pond party may be coming to a close. Just a brief visit by 2 male teal after it finally stopped raining this afternoon. With all the standing water around here they could have gone swimming in the pasture!

Well this I believe is are last nubian kid for the season. We were out doing chores and this little girls mom (Hope) was lying down and moaning, sure enough she was in labor (a rough labor too!) big kid small mom but they both turned out good and healthy!! I would like to thank you all for putting up with my goat updates. I will try and get a couple group pics soon if I can fit them all in one frame lol

Back
Top Bottom