INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

You have no idea! I was just telling jchny2000 that I wanted chicks no younger than this exact age! ARGH!!!
droolin.gif

The only problem is $$ right now. Until we get our big wooden playhouse here and know how much we have to sink into it I don't think we really can commit to buying any more chickens.
hit.gif

I hate being realistic and practical but I am guessing my family likes to eat.

Originally Posted by kabhyper1

If you really want them, I can hold them for you for awhile. They don't have to go right now. I would really like the youngest to be at least a couple months old before they go anyway. Let me know.

So I have a question for all my fellow Indiana chickeners....:D I bought the two chicks below at an auction when they were day old chicks. They are now about 7-8 weeks old. My question is : Does anyone know what these are? This is Jezabell. She is mostly black with gold penciling, hardly any comb. Here's a side view of Merida. I also have a very interesting silkie I thought Brad might be able to help me with. What color would she be considered? Paint, Splash, or maybe a silver partridge? This is Madison
Jezebell looks like either a Barnevelder or a Dark Cornish. Can you see if she has a pea comb or a single comb? Cornish have pea combs and Barnies have single combs. If not, once she's older, her type should make it obvious what she is. Merida, I'm not sure on. Some sort of game breed, maybe? Looks similar to a Yokohama. All I know for sure is that Merida is a boy. I can see his pointed saddle feathers in the second picture. Madison looks almost like a very dark Columbian patterned bird, though I will agree with Kab and say he's probably some sort of mixed color Silkie. He also looks like a boy to me, though I am by no means good at sexing Silkies.
I am not going to the get together, but if some one is that is close to me, I can arrange to meet up and have them bring them to the party.
That third one is super cute, but I'm going to pass on them. However, I'm right in your area and I am going to the Chickenfest, so if anyone else going wants them, I can give them a ride. :)

Last edited:
So I have a question for all my fellow Indiana chickeners....:D I bought the two chicks below at an auction when they were day old chicks. They are now about 7-8 weeks old. My question is : Does anyone know what these are? This is Jezabell. She is mostly black with gold penciling, hardly any comb. Next is Merida. She has very interesting feathers, they look almost lacey, and she has green eyes. and again hardly any comb. Very pretty and very sweet. Here's a side view of Merida. I also have a very interesting silkie I thought Brad might be able to help me with. What color would she be considered? Paint, Splash, or maybe a silver partridge? This is Madison It almost looks like she has silver lacing, like my silver laced wyandott. Any help would be appreciated. You guys are always very helpful to this newbie!!:drool
The first one is a dark laced Cornish

My girls in my den, on the couch, patiently awaiting the arrival of their little ones due Friday.
jumpy.gif
Snow is on 3 Blue/black/splash silkie eggs, and Lavender is sitting on 2 of her own Blue/ black /splash Large fowl cochin eggs. When I candled tonight for the last time, they were all wiggling. :)
pop.gif
Maybe Lavenders feathers will grow back out from the boys over loving her while she is separated from the flock.

Jezebell looks like either a Barnevelder or a Dark Cornish. Can you see if she has a pea comb or a single comb? Cornish have pea combs and Barnies have single combs. If not, once she's older, her type should make it obvious what she is.

Merida, I'm not sure on. Some sort of game breed, maybe? Looks similar to a Yokohama. All I know for sure is that Merida is a boy. I can see his pointed saddle feathers in the second picture.

Madison looks almost like a very dark Columbian patterned bird, though I will agree with Kab and say he's probably some sort of mixed color Silkie. He also looks like a boy to me, though I am by no means good at sexing Silkies.
That third one is super cute, but I'm going to pass on them. However, I'm right in your area and I am going to the Chickenfest, so if anyone else going wants them, I can give them a ride.
smile.png
Thanks Pip'd I'll let you know. They all look like the black one, they just don't all pose like she did lol. ;)

Has anybody ever bought a coop from Brazil Urban Farm and Garden (www.brazilfarm.webs.com)?

I found them thru Craig's List, and they seem to have ok prices and claim they will customize. My DH and I are still trying to figure out the best way to get the coop and run accomplished.
They look like nice coops, except for using chicken wire instead of hardware cloth on their runs and coops. If I lived close enough to have one built, I would for sure pay the extra to have hardware cloth installed. Other than that, they are cute coops. :)

Has anybody ever bought a coop from Brazil Urban Farm and Garden (www.brazilfarm.webs.com)?

I found them thru Craig's List, and they seem to have ok prices and claim they will customize. My DH and I are still trying to figure out the best way to get the coop and run accomplished.

How many chickens are you wanting to have?
Can you or your DH do any construction modifications? If so a shed from Craigslist might be more cost effective and allow for more chickens in the future.
How do you plan to deal or not deal with the chicken poo. I like the deep litter method as it is not something I have to deal with daily.
The coops pictured on the BrazilFarm site look great. Naptown chickens also sells coops with runs and might be closer to you.

I think in the end if you are looking for a shed coop with a large walk in run for lots of chickens, you can customizing advantage when you do it yourself. But the brazil farm and nap town coops are way better than what I have seen of the prefab build it yourself coops on Amazon.

Editing to add a note about the run security. naptown's coop has a stronger run fence compared to chicken wire. If your run is chicken wire only it should be in a larger fenced area. This is mentioned on the Brazil site too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom