INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Anyone around Martinsville got fertile eggs for sale looking to do Easter hatch and I have nothing I want to breed out of my own flock. Would like black silkies but would take anything that doesn't lay white eggs or breed I can buy from RK or TS. Please send message
@racinchickins or @ellymayrans are close to you, possibly @wheezy50
Murray McMurray sent the shipping confirmation. Chicks are on the way!!!

AWESOME!!!!
Well my lone oops hatch just had to have some broodmates so i snatched up 6 Speckled Sussex from the local RK today..lol!

Also grabbed the Bin auction for Mille Fluer cochins eggs! Will be hatching in participation of the EHAL. Since hatching the 2 boys last spring i realize just how difficult they are to come by. Here's to hoping for some lovely ladies!!

Day 26 of 35 for my Scovys! ! 10 eggs left! Anticipation is killing me!
wink.png

Happy March 1st everyone!
OOOOooOOO speckled sussex! The scovy are so tiny and precious, exciting!

My next tray to hatch I just candled at day 14. Only 2 viable eggs out of 19, am pretty sad. Suspect the temp jumps some days as much as a 50 degree change! All duds went to Momma hog DS, made her night with a warm protein snack.
Dad went for a checkup due to recent mood swings and off behavior.. I insisted. Pacemaker is malfunctioning, causing less blood flow, oxygen and hence some Dementia! He is also dehydrating again, so med changes. I conned him into going because he keeps saying he has headaches.. honestly because he has been hateful. sure sign of heart issues. He has been a total pistol the past few weeks and now we know why. Mom goes tomorrow for her followup on her valve. Note to self, I need to do more of the scheduling, this should have been the same day. The trip to Indy is hard on both of them. Both were in bed by 8pm.
I am taking another hard look at more downsizing. I may be selling my remaining turkeys, some of the chicken breeds I keep. From what Dads Dr discussed today, he will not be driving much longer. Thats going to change things even more here. Will asses what I have and post more info this weekend.

My next tray to hatch I just candled at day 14. Only 2 viable eggs out of 19, am pretty sad. Suspect the temp jumps some days as much as a 50 degree change! All duds went to Momma hog DS, made her night with a warm protein snack.
Dad went for a checkup due to recent mood swings and off behavior.. I insisted. Pacemaker is malfunctioning, causing less blood flow, oxygen and hence some Dementia! He is also dehydrating again, so med changes. I conned him into going because he keeps saying he has headaches.. honestly because he has been hateful. sure sign of heart issues. He has been a total pistol the past few weeks and now we know why. Mom goes tomorrow for her followup on her valve. Note to self, I need to do more of the scheduling, this should have been the same day. The trip to Indy is hard on both of them. Both were in bed by 8pm.
I am taking another hard look at more downsizing. I may be selling my remaining turkeys, some of the chicken breeds I keep. From what Dads Dr discussed today, he will not be driving much longer. Thats going to change things even more here. Will asses what I have and post more info this weekend.
wow sorry to hear that about your chicks, prayers go out to you and your parents! hope things go well for them, and less stress for you!!!

Hello fellow Hoosiers I wanted to jump in and introduce myself and my families newest additions.
I just joined today and stumbled into here. Today we just picked up our four babies and I must add we are total newbies to this but have done tons of reading and video watching. We are a bit nervous but have found BYC a tremendous help.
Well not to keep you waiting but here are the little ones..

The chicks seem happy in the brooder I made in our unfinished bathrooms tub. I plugged all holes and placed a layer of carpet pad all the way around the inside and bottom then a few layers of thick plastic finished with cardboard sides and fresh pine shavings. Heat lamp and small roost for fun with fresh water and chick crumble.
This is the first night for them here and I'm sure I won't sleep much. ;)

Quote: Thanks so much. I want to be sure my birds are well cared for. Looking at our future situation I need to downsize and make sure my birds have good homes.

Hello fellow Hoosiers I wanted to jump in and introduce myself and my families newest additions.
I just joined today and stumbled into here. Today we just picked up our four babies and I must add we are total newbies to this but have done tons of reading and video watching. We are a bit nervous but have found BYC a tremendous help.
Well not to keep you waiting but here are the little ones..

The chicks seem happy in the brooder I made in our unfinished bathrooms tub. I plugged all holes and placed a layer of carpet pad all the way around the inside and bottom then a few layers of thick plastic finished with cardboard sides and fresh pine shavings. Heat lamp and small roost for fun with fresh water and chick crumble.
This is the first night for them here and I'm sure I won't sleep much.
wink.png
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BC and our thread
frow.gif
! First and every baby chick after I am always so fretting over them. Is the water ok? are they eating? I swear I am looking at the brooders nonstop. You will love them.

@Faraday40 The poop definitely does not look right, especially since she is not eating grass (or much of anything). In a person, persistent green poop either indicates liver disease OR just poop running through your system too fast (the brown color comes from modifications of a green urobilogen pigment, if memory serves, and if you get diarrhea, your stools can become greenish from lack of conversion time). I do NOT think it operates like this in chickens. I checked the Chicken Chick's blog on poop, and she had a photo of one much like your girl's, and hers was also not eating. She had her euthanized and on necropsy had ovarian cancer, which is apparently not that uncommon in hens.

Hope I am wrong! If she has masses in her abdomen, though, some kind of abdominal cancer might make sense. Do you have a chicken or avian vet in your area? You could also do a consult over the phone or email with Purdue. I don't think they charge much (if anything) if it goes to one of the veterinarians who are in training for specialization. You are a science person and could express yourself well, plus send the history and photos. Search the Purdue website for Dr. Lossie's email and give it a shot. May not save her life, but may give you insights.

@jchny2000 I'm already afraid I killed my full bator of 48! They spend about an hour at 105 degrees F, then a few more hours down at 102+. It was the first day, so maybe I'll get lucky and not have killed them all. Now I finally have the temp set (which I THOUGHT I did BEFORE I put the eggs in). Next time I need one, I will pay extra for the electronic thermostat that is in my 24 capacity bator. Waiting to fill that with chocolate/chocolate cuckoo, another genetic test grouping from a black hen that may or may not be split to lav, and some sexable by color chocolate cuckoo over true black hen, plus a few Jubilees. We got everyone moved around on Monday.

Hershey, my chocolate cuckoo roo, actually seems happier to be back with the chocolate hen he grew up with. That's a good thing.

@jchny2000 I'm already afraid I killed my full bator of 48! They spend about an hour at 105 degrees F, then a few more hours down at 102+. It was the first day, so maybe I'll get lucky and not have killed them all. Now I finally have the temp set (which I THOUGHT I did BEFORE I put the eggs in). Next time I need one, I will pay extra for the electronic thermostat that is in my 24 capacity bator. Waiting to fill that with chocolate/chocolate cuckoo, another genetic test grouping from a black hen that may or may not be split to lav, and some sexable by color chocolate cuckoo over true black hen, plus a few Jubilees. We got everyone moved around on Monday.

Hershey, my chocolate cuckoo roo, actually seems happier to be back with the chocolate hen he grew up with. That's a good thing.
Oh my, that would make me so worried too. Spikes if short are often ok.
I moved everyone to breeder pens in January so the eggs should be pure.Running 1of my GQF cabinent bators so far. I have to ask because I am reading so many OPs. My roo is a barred chocolate and the hens are solid chocolate. is there any chance of sexlink or autosexed chicks?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom