INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hear that, seems I never sleep much. Too much to do! Congrats on the hogs! Did you get any sows? We have become quite familiar with electric fence. Sooo cheap compared to traditional fencing! I train any new animals in the fenced main pasture. once they learn the wire we move them with the herds. Most livestock lunge forward so they need a visual barrier to train them to wire. A strong charger, T-posts, insulators and tight wire is all you need. Holler if you need input or help.

We got 4 barrows. Going to see how we like them before we commit to breeding stock. I'm installing the electric fencing this weekend, I'll let you know if I need any advice or troubleshooting.

Speaking of chicken math... DH didn't understand why you buy so many chicks, so I tried to explain chicken math to him and I just got an eye roll. I pulled up an old thread and started reading him responses, he couldn't get enough. He didn't understand why when people would ask how many chickens we have, I'd tell them 5.

My FIL came over the other day and asked since when we have 14 chickens, DH responded, you must be blind, there's only 5 :lau

Speaking of chicken math... DH didn't understand why you buy so many chicks, so I tried to explain chicken math to him and I just got an eye roll. I pulled up an old thread and started reading him responses, he couldn't get enough. He didn't understand why when people would ask how many chickens we have, I'd tell them 5.

My FIL came over the other day and asked since when we have 14 chickens, DH responded, you must be blind, there's only 5 :lau

My kids LOVE chicken math. According to them, we have no chickens since none are laying. :thumbsup

Whoops.... HERE re the photos of the 2 sfh girls.

IMG_8901.JPG
2017 5-7 Winter aka Cranky.jpg

On Chicken Math:
According to DD, bantams don't count. :lau They're too small & they hardly take up any space. Therefore, they shouldn't really be included in our chicken numbers. Poor DH doesn't know how many we actually own. In my defense, chicks are regularly being sold and new ones keep hatching, so the number may change daily.
:oops:

@akorte
Congrats on that 1st egg!

@wheezy50

Love your new beds! Tell me about your strawberries. I'm considering doing some. I had thought about using some of the varieties that are more "clumping" as ground cover but I haven't found one I'm sure of yet. I prefer some larger berries and the clumping kind that I've seen so far seem to be small.

:caf
I have a 4ft x 8ft bed, I planted 2 varieties one is called "Temptation" the other is "Fresca." So far, after 4ish weeks the temptation seem to be a little more vigorous. They are already sending out shoots and new little clumps are starting to grow. The fresca are alive and well but not spreading yet. A friend made the pyramid from a design on Pinterest. As the plants send out new shoots the pyramid should become covered.

I had a bed this exact same size in a different location a few years back. I planted 4 small plants originally and in 3-4 seasons they completely took over the bed. I don't know what variety those were. The berries were medium to large size on those, I believe they were close to the same as the Temptation. My chickens destroyed that bed every season so I tried a new spot and expect after a few seasons to get quite a few berries.

The Fresca seem to have smaller berries and not spread as well but i'll just have wait and see how they both pan out.

Back
Top Bottom