INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

here is a link to a thread on Backyard herds. She raises feeder pigs every year. She built an awesome pig palace. The way she has it set up seems like a great management system. When I read her pig raising threads, it makes ME want to raise some pigs!
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/baymule’s-pigs-2018-herefords.37448/page-6
Thanks that's giving me a lot of great ideas! I want to start planning infrastructure now so its ready to go in the spring. If we do this we won't keep during the winter and I don't plan to breed again.

1st hard freeze coming tonight. We changed all the poultry water buckets over to rubber bowls. Put stock tank heaters in. Low 19 tonight high 36 tomorrow! Tomorrow we wrap the coops with clear plastic to keep drafts down. All my coops but one are open air design. Going to clean and freshen nest boxes while I'm at it.

Trying to find a temporary SAFE home for my 6 chickens in Southern Indiana. I know this is a weird request but I am in the process of moving and due to slow appraisals, I might not be in the new home when I have to move out of the one I am currently in.

So I am looking for someone near me who could safely house my chickens (with payment) for a very short while. I would not mind doing it for someone else so I wondered if someone was out there that might not mind doing it for payment. I would mark my chickens with bands so I would know which is mine. I love my chickens a lot so they are very important to me.

Can't hurt to ask, I thought. Just preparing for the worst-case scenario. Also would be nice to know where other chicken lovers are in my area.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Last edited:
Trying to find a temporary SAFE home for my chickens in Southern Indiana. I know this is a weird request but I am in the process of moving and due to slow appraisals, I might not be in the new home when I have to move out of the one I am currently in.

So I am looking for someone near me who could safely house my chickens (with payment) for a very short while. I would not mind doing it for someone else so I wondered if someone was out there that might not mind doing it for payment. I would mark my chickens with bands so I would know which is mine. I love my chickens a lot so they are very important to me.

Can't hurt to ask, I thought. Just preparing for the worst-case scenario. Also would be nice to know where other chicken lovers are in my area.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Hi, Hayley3!
I'm not in Southern Indiana, but I'll keep my ears open to persons that may fit this bill. How many chickens, and are they LF or bantam, are we talking about?
:)

Tell me about it!!!

Look, I have a naked neck!
Opps. No. It's just Blizzard.
img_9790-jpg.1911371

img_9802-jpg.1911370

Poor Cupcake now looks like a Rumpless Araucana.
img_9813-jpg.1911375

She was giving me the evil eye for trying to take her pic during molt.
img_9814-jpg.1911376

@pginsber - :loveI really enjoy the expressions on your Dominique & Brown Leghorn(?).

What kind of chicken is that black and white bird? It sorta looks like a silver laced wyandotte but it's so fluffy.

1st hard freeze coming tonight. We changed all the poultry water buckets over to rubber bowls. Put stock tank heaters in. Low 19 tonight high 36 tomorrow! Tomorrow we wrap the coops with clear plastic to keep drafts down. All my coops but one are open air design. Going to clean and freshen nest boxes while I'm at it.

Us, too! I hate this weather!! :barnie I think we only got down to the lower 20's overnight and that's bad enough! I thankfully did most of my winterizing over the past week or two, so at least the hens are set for this. Fresh bedding in their coop, and plastic sheeting to keep the wind off the deck. 4 hens are molting terribly right now, but actually seem to be doing fine despite that. :fl I'm surprised at how well my OEGBs are doing so far, too. I was sure they'd end up being house chickens for the winter by now. :p

Thanks! I have 6 chickens...they are all regular size chickens. 2 welsummers and 2 buff orpingtons that are escape artists. And 2 timid silver laced wyandottes.

Aw, best of luck! That's definitely a reasonable number of birds to house, so hopefully someone comes along at some point. :fl I'm way up north so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to help. :hmm

What kind of chicken is that black and white bird? It sorta looks like a silver laced wyandotte but it's so fluffy.

@Faraday40 has laced Orpingtons, some of the prettiest birds out there. I think that hen is a Blue Silver Laced, too. :love :love

She's a laced orpington. We're working on a blue silver laced orpington project. In general they are very large birds.

This is what Blizzard normally looks like:
Bliz1.jpg

IMG_6869 copy.jpg

Cupcake (the buff) is also looking more like herself now that her molt is finishing up. Pic taken 2 days ago.
IMG_0801 (2).JPG

@Faraday40 has laced Orpingtons, some of the prettiest birds out there. I think that hen is a Blue Silver Laced, too. :love :love

Awww, thanks. Of course you have those adorable silkied cochins, cuddling Dorkings, and Crashie. I always love seeing their photos. Hint Hint

Although the weather is chilly, there's one great thing about winter with chickens ...... Frozen poop! It was so easy to sift & clean those dropping trays this morning. No smell, no breaking apart, and fast. About 20-25'F is perfect. Everything is frozen but not uncomfortably cold. It also helps that I have the "storm windows" up. (Wood framed, clear vinyl, shower curtains) They make the run into a green house.

Back
Top Bottom