INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Awww, thanks. Of course you have those adorable silkied cochins, cuddling Dorkings, and Crashie. I always love seeing their photos. Hint Hint

:gig I think I have some fairly recent pictures of them all... ;) My poor Dorkies are in a sad state right now, though. Lydda's grown in some since this picture, and had her beak trimmed since she let it get so bad, but she and Callette are still in rough shape!

Lydda molt 2.jpg

The youngest Dorkings are done molting and went back to laying, though. :eek: Oh, this was a while ago, though, too much green on that plant there...

Myrna and Kita on the barrel.jpg

Crash and Malcolm had their pool up until yesterday, but I had to empty it for these temps. Poor li'l duckies. :love

Crash and Malcolm.jpg

Gosh, I guess the silkied Cochins have escaped my camera lens for a while... Sorry if any of these are repeats! Here's Roxy holding a branch down. :p

Roxanne one heavy cochin.jpg

ROWENA! :love

Rowena.jpg

This was a very tense truce between Abra and Ida the Mottled Cochin for the favored box that day... :lol:

Abra Ida sharing.jpg

I guess I'll have to go out there with the camera this weekend when we're supposed to get a brief reprieve from this cold. :D

Although the weather is chilly, there's one great thing about winter with chickens ...... Frozen poop! It was so easy to sift & clean those dropping trays this morning. No smell, no breaking apart, and fast. About 20-25'F is perfect. Everything is frozen but not uncomfortably cold. It also helps that I have the "storm windows" up. (Wood framed, clear vinyl, shower curtains) They make the run into a green house.

Yeah, that is a good point! Makes scooping a breeze! :D I wish I'd gone with clear shower curtains versus the opaque plastic sheeting on the deck. I hate that it blocks out the view of the chicken yard when it's up! I might replace the sheeting later on if I can collect enough shower curtains to do so. :fl

A few pics

Anyone interested in a good lav orp boy? Hatched in May He's a gentle giant and fine around kids. I decided to keep a different cockerel, so this guy will be processed very soon. If someone has a use for him, let me know ASAP.
IMG_0777 (2).JPG

BTW- He's related to our former Mr Dummy. And any long time members of this thread may also remember @kittydoc and her gentle Cogburn = the dad of our beloved Mr Dummy. My lav line started with hers and I've been adding more imported English bloodlines to develop that nice round extra fluffy appearance.

Several hens are still molting here. Poor Coco! She lost all her butt fluff. Without the orp bloomers, she looks skinny & naked.
:eek:
IMG_0787 (2).JPG

Then there's Glow, my golden girl. She's related to Blizzard. Like Blizzard, she looked very ugly & awkward as a juvenile, but grew up into a beauty. Don't let the grumpy face fool you. She's a big, gentle cuddler!
IMG_0826 (2).JPG
IMG_0838 (2).JPG
IMG_0840 (2).JPG

IMG_6543.JPG
IMG_6728 copy.jpg
IMG_6971.JPG

IMG_7768.JPG
IMG_8233 copy.jpg

Hey. I warned you that these weren't pretty!

Here's a big blue orp pullet
IMG_0612 (2).JPG

This girl is a dark blue silver laced orp. I thought it was black lacing for a long time, but as she's maturing, it looks blue.
IMG_0618 (2).JPG

This lav orp pullet is one of my favs. Just look at that fluffy butt! She loves neck/wattle rubs & leans into it. Her only bad habit is constantly being underfoot. She wants my attention all the time and doesn't seem to understand that I sometimes have work to do.
IMG_0622 (2).JPG

A few pics

Anyone interested in a good lav orp boy? Hatched in May He's a gentle giant and fine around kids. I decided to keep a different cockerel, so this guy will be processed very soon. If someone has a use for him, let me know ASAP.
View attachment 1954547
BTW- He's related to our former Mr Dummy. And any long time members of this thread may also remember @kittydoc and her gentle Cogburn = the dad of our beloved Mr Dummy. My lav line started with hers and I've been adding more imported English bloodlines to develop that nice round extra fluffy appearance.

Several hens are still molting here. Poor Coco! She lost all her butt fluff. Without the orp bloomers, she looks skinny & naked.
View attachment 1954549

Then there's Glow, my golden girl. She's related to Blizzard. Like Blizzard, she looked very ugly & awkward as a juvenile, but grew up into a beauty. Don't let the grumpy face fool you. She's a big, gentle cuddler!
View attachment 1954569 View attachment 1954570 View attachment 1954571

View attachment 1954579
This girl is a dark blue silver laced orp. I thought it was black lacing for a long time, but as she's maturing, it looks blue.
View attachment 1954580
This lav orp pullet is one of my favs. Just look at that fluffy butt! She loves neck/wattle rubs & leans into it. Her only bad habit is constantly being underfoot. She wants my attention all the time and doesn't seem to understand that I sometimes have work to do.
View attachment 1954581
Even in molt, you birds are so beautiful. He is flat stunning and I'd love to have him. We're just too far away :(. DH won't go for a trip that far even tho that fella is one of @kittydoc lineage. Miss seeing her and @Mother2Hens also, great contributors.

I want to say WELCOME to anyone joining our thread. My 1st experience keeping chickens myself was 1983. Cornish cross. I keep holding on and subscribe to this thread mostly because I started it several years ago. I joined BYC in 2012 because I thought my chickens were sick. Rolling and flopping in dirt! I googled the behavior and realized heritage hens/roosters will dust bathe! BYC had several articles about it. So I joined and found any Indiana threads were no longer active. So I started ours! I welcome you to share life events, just let off steam! :mad: Any other animals you keep. I also keep waterfowl, goats and cattle.
My only request is to keep posts kid safe. We do have some children following the thread.

A few pics

View attachment 1954547

View attachment 1954549

View attachment 1954569 View attachment 1954570 View attachment 1954571

View attachment 1954579
View attachment 1954580
View attachment 1954581

Oh, man, such gorgeous birds!! :love I would jump on the opportunity for that Lavender fella, but I'm already holding back more roosters than I should at this point... No space. :( Darn! I hope someone chimes in! :fl

I neglected to comment on them before, but Blizzard and Cupcake are super gorgeous, too! :love Love the subtle pattern on Cupcake, too pretty! :love :love

@kittydoc Miss seeing her and @Mother2Hens also, great contributors.

I miss them, too, and others that have gone silent over the years. I really miss when this thread had pages and pages to catch up on when you didn't check in for as little as a few hours. :( We're gonna have to try and fix that. :)

I was at the Ohio Nationals practically all day yesterday and took a ton of pictures if anyone is interested? I don't want to overload the thread, but there were around 75 pictures that turned out well enough to save, so at least 2 posts worth. :D

Oh, man, such gorgeous birds!! :love I would jump on the opportunity for that Lavender fella, but I'm already holding back more roosters than I should at this point... No space. :( Darn! I hope someone chimes in! :fl

Thank you.

Yes, I really like the lav boy, "Mr Nice Guy." He's got the usual gentle giant personality and we can just bend down & scoop him up without a fuss. However, I have too many and must process the extras. We have another sweet lav with a better body shape and extra fluffy bloomers that will soon glide across the ground (but a wonky comb). "Wonky's" going to stay for a little while longer, but doubtful that he'll make the cut to become our breeder. (Yet, I need to keep him for flock protection until his replacement gets bigger.) Then I have a 3rd lav boy who hatched in August. He's "Mr Potential." His shape is not as nice as Wonky, but his comb is much better. Lastly, I have a lav from the Sept 10 hatch. My gut says male due to slower feather growth & slightly larger wattles. However, at 9 wks there are no definite male signs, so he could still end up being female. For now, I'll just let them keep growing until I can be sure of gender.

Wonky I love this guy but I'm too nervous about breeding him. How many years would it take to get that crooked comb out of my line?
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0868 (2).JPG
IMG_0869 (2).JPG

Mr Potential
IMG_0717 (2).JPG

IMG_0896 (2).JPG
IMG_0908 (2).JPG

Mr Potential's sister whom I adore. Its hard to see in a photograph, but her shiny black feathers are amazing.
IMG_0913 (2).JPG

The September buddies. Do you agree that I have a pair? If the male is nicer than Mr Potential, then he could be our keeper.
IMG_0876 (2).JPG
IMG_0882 (2).JPG

Wow, that is a wicked comb on Wonky! He is a stunning fella for type, though! :love I'm faced with a similar dilemma with the Mottled Cochins I bought to cross into my silkieds for some genetic diversity and to try to work back to Blacks. Only 2 of the 4 Mottled hens have good combs, and one of those two has hard tail feathers and a wry tail, so I'm down to either risking introducing some funky combs (and tails) to my silkieds or having just one Mottled hen to cross in... or scrapping the idea entirely, keeping the girls as pets, and getting a better line to cross into the silkieds. :barnie Roscoe has taken Donna's iffy comb and produced much better combs on his offspring, though...

They're 9 weeks old? Yeah, I'm feeling like that's a little fella... But I tend to err on the side of cockerel with questionable birds, so I could definitely be wrong! Mr. Potential looks nice so far to me, too. Is there no chance that he'll fill out enough to be similar to Wonky?

I haven't had a dog for 11years, and was inspired to get one. After much reading about different breeds and what attributes would be most desirable, I decided that a poodle (toy or mini) would be the best fit.

I searched for a reputable breeder with certain specifications and found a breeder of mini poodles a few hours away, and would have to wait until the breeder had some black puppies available from two black parents. Although, I really did not and do not want to house train a puppy, and don't want the hyperness of a puppy.

I kept in mind that there could be a small dog out there who needs a good home, and not get the puppy. I came across this one!

Jordan: He's a 2 & 1/2 year old mini poodle, weighs approximately 15 lbs. Was for sale by a breeder of Maltipoos (who was getting out of it) and he was cheap enough to be easily bought by someone who would just use him for more breeding of expensive designer dogs (they used to be called mutts, and used to be cheap).

His previous owner of the past year kept him in a cage most of the time, and he was let outside to run and was around chickens and good about leaving them alone.

He is housebroke, super smart, eager to please, learns after being shown something only once, quiet, so happy to be here. Loves snuggles.
DSCN6251.JPG

Last edited:
I haven't had a dog for 11years, and was inspired to get one. After much reading about different breeds and what attributes would be most desirable, I decided that a poodle (toy or mini) would be the best fit.

I searched for a reputable breeder with certain specifications and found a breeder of mini poodles a few hours away, and would have to wait until the breeder had some black puppies available from two black parents. Although, I really did not and do not want to house train a puppy, and don't want the hyperness of a puppy.

I kept in mind that there could be a small dog out there who needs a good home, and not get the puppy. I came across this one!

Jordan: He's a 2 & 1/2 year old mini poodle, weighs approximately 15 lbs. Was for sale by a breeder of Maltipoos (who was getting out of it) and he was cheap enough to be easily bought by someone who would just use him for more breeding of expensive designer dogs (they used to be called mutts, and used to be cheap).

His previous owner of the past year kept him in a cage most of the time, and he was let outside to run and was around chickens and good about leaving them alone.

He is housebroke, super smart, eager to please, learns after being shown something only once, quiet, so happy to be here. Loves snuggles.
View attachment 1956797
How precious! Congrats on your sweet little Jordan!

Back
Top Bottom