INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

What is the proper humidity suppose to be for chicken eggs? Its at 54%. This is the first time I have ever used and incubator and I have eggs coming in sometime this week but there's a delay because the place where I ordered them from are waiting for the hens to lay some eggs. Out of all the things in the world of delays I never expected that one to be a delay.

What is the proper humidity suppose to be for chicken eggs? Its at 54%. This is the first time I have ever used and incubator and I have eggs coming in sometime this week but there's a delay because the place where I ordered them from are waiting for the hens to lay some eggs. Out of all the things in the world of delays I never expected that one to be a delay.

start with the humidity low say around 45% then watch the air cells and increase as needed. Or just keep at 55% and hope for the best. There is a hatching 101 link in the first few posts to this thread it is great. with lots of info. There are special things to do for shipped eggs. The heat is reducing the number of eggs I'm getting each day right now. It is posible the place you ordered from is getting warmer for the summer. The other possibility is that they have an increased number of chick orders and need the eggs, that is if they sell day old chicks.

before lockdown I have my humidity around 45% and during lockdown I have it around 65%.

So I know raccons climb things pretty well. I wonder, will they climb a 2x4 fenced in enclosure to reach thru and kill chickens? The predators would have to climb the fencing around the run to get at them, then hang on the fencing to reach thru to the chickens. My chickens are starting to like sleeping outside on some perches in the enclosed run, some right next to the 2x4 wire

.. They are easily near enough where a marauding animal could reach thru and get them at night. I'm thinking I should at least double the fencing in those particular areas, or maybe put up the 1/2'' hardware cloth in those areas.

Any thoughts? Otherwise our coop/run is highly secure unless a tornado strikes.

Also, look out for the giant chicken, he will easily lop off a human head and eat it!

Raccoons are great climbers. They could easily do exactly what you are worried about. I would definitely cover any area the chickens rest near the fence with the hardware cloth. Just doubling the fence won't do it, as it won't make the holes small enough to keep their arms out. And if they can grab it, it's dead.

Last edited:
Well I had a disappointing morning. Went out o feed and had one killed overnight. Head neck and innards gone!! Guess I better start locking down better!! They won't like it!! It was a bany RIR, and I'd have thought it would've done a Cochin since they are slower!!

Quinstar- I think he's a beautiful roo!! Hope he stays a good boy!!

When I got home my new mommy had her babies out of the nest. I've wrapped the kennel in extra plastic , 3 foot chicken fence! To keep the little ones in and the free rangers from reaching thru!!
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom