INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    What is the proper humidity suppose to be for chicken eggs? Its at 54%. This is the first time I have ever used and incubator and I have eggs coming in sometime this week but there's a delay because the place where I ordered them from are waiting for the hens to lay some eggs. Out of all the things in the world of delays I never expected that one to be a delay.

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    start with the humidity low say around 45% then watch the air cells and increase as needed. Or just keep at 55% and hope for the best. There is a hatching 101 link in the first few posts to this thread it is great. with lots of info. There are special things to do for shipped eggs. The heat is reducing the number of eggs I'm getting each day right now. It is posible the place you ordered from is getting warmer for the summer. The other possibility is that they have an increased number of chick orders and need the eggs, that is if they sell day old chicks.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    before lockdown I have my humidity around 45% and during lockdown I have it around 65%.

4. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Thank you for the information!

5. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Yup. That's her. I candled the eggs last night at 5 days, and they all showed veining, so I am 7/7 at the moment. Hope yours do well also.

6. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Raccoons are great climbers. They could easily do exactly what you are worried about. I would definitely cover any area the chickens rest near the fence with the hardware cloth. Just doubling the fence won't do it, as it won't make the holes small enough to keep their arms out. And if they can grab it, it's dead.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  7. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Well I had a disappointing morning. Went out o feed and had one killed overnight. Head neck and innards gone!! Guess I better start locking down better!! They won't like it!! It was a bany RIR, and I'd have thought it would've done a Cochin since they are slower!!

Quinstar- I think he's a beautiful roo!! Hope he stays a good boy!!

When I got home my new mommy had her babies out of the nest. I've wrapped the kennel in extra plastic , 3 foot chicken fence! To keep the little ones in and the free rangers from reaching thru!![​IMG][/IMG]

8. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    My iPad wont let me do more than 1 pic at a time![​IMG]

9. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Yes.

10. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps