INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my new silkie girls layed an egg this morning. I know its fetile and I havent removed it. I dont have an incubator and she is the only one laying. I really dont want to eat a sq silkie egg. Should I leave it in there with them? How long is it good for?

2. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Quinstar- I wish you and Alfie the best of luck with his health. Bulldogs are awesome and so easy to love. I like the wrinkles so much but ended up with a bullmastiff.

M2h- I also used that kind of crate with my chicks and had a side door open to an extended run. Thank you for bringing this to my attention so that I can be careful with future chicks. I also wrapped the crate with cardboard to keep the shavings inside.

3. CRSelvey

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    My chicks are about the same age. I only have 10 total. Do you think that would be a good fit? 4 of them are bantam Roos so they don't get to stay with the girls all day. Our run should be complete by the end of the weekend and the coop is done now. Also, our cat spends time with the chickens and has never bothered them.

4. MillerBirds

MillerBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Indiana

Hi, I am sorry they have now found a new home. Guess I need to update this thread. Sorry.

5. MillerBirds

MillerBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Indiana
    My Faverolles have found a new home with a sweet family that lost their birds when on vacation.

I do have 2 RIRs that are looking for a new home, and 1 BR. Can post pictures later.
    1 RIR & the BR are both laying. However, they all came to me from a local farmer that was getting out of farming. They did not have the best living conditions and 2 of these girls have bare buttoms and are stinky. Gave one a bath and somewhat better. All clean from lice or mites and healthy. Just bare buttoms and a little stinky. The RIR really likes to follow me around the yard.

Great birds just need to make room for a few new ones I am getting this weekend.

6. CRSelvey

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    No, that's great that they have a new home. I just don't like to see animals need a home, which is how I ended up with all the roos, lol. I'm going to get a few hens in the future, but my kids really want these by the pics and egg colors: Welsummer, Chocolate Bantam Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Wyandotte, and Black Copper Maran. I'm not sure if I spelled them all correctly and I'm still learning about the breeds, so we are going to proceed with more caution than before ;-).

Quinstar, have you had any good news yet?

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
  8. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    That's funny
    that's funny my silkie started laying too. It will be good as long as its unwashed for awhile. Hatchable for close to a week edible at maybe two weeks? It would be good much longer if you take it out and refrigerate it. What are you going to do with all of her eggs if you don't want to eat them? I bought a cheap lil mini done incubator from mcmurray for $12 and I have a couple of eggs in it that are coming along nicely. If all keeps going well they will hatch in about a week :)

9. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    she might keep laying and then to hatch them herself. I don't know if she would go broody that young? Their eggs are cute and tiny. Not sure how I'll use them myself. :)

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by