INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

As mentioned earlier, I'm needing another incubator to use as a hatcher. I don't want to spend the money on another cabinet incubator at this time but still want a decent one incase I just need to incubate a small batch of eggs and don't want to turn on the cabinet incubator. So I'm looking at either the Hovabator Genesis 1588 or Brinsea octagon Eco 20. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Last edited:
Wasn't someone looking for a friend for their peacock?  Have I lost my mind?  I was on craigslist looking for something else and I found this ad... struck a chord in my memory but I can't remember who exactly was looking.  MillerBirds??

"Little Peacocks for $20 each call or text 812-797-5702"

This ad was for the Bloomington area.  May be too far away but just wanted to share. :)

Craigslist is dangerous (as in a too many birds available).  I should obstain. ha
I no that #. Its the guy I got my peafowl from. I must warn anyone that is thinking of calling this man. He has all kinds of birds. Different breeds of chickens,ducks, turkeys, different color peafowl maybe phesants or quail? I've never went onto his property and left with just what I went for lol guineas. He has those also. Every bird I've ever bought from him has been healthy active no issues what so ever.

I now have a final tally on my 27 'Straight Run' hatchery chicks that I got this spring. The last two birds I was in denial about have started crowing and chasing my girls
barnie.gif
. 8 girls, 19 boys. Am I just unlucky, or does this seem like I beat the odds a bit much on this? Or should I say the odds have beaten me......
tongue.gif
Even with an extra boy or three thrown in for 'body heat', I would've expected to be just a bit on the low side of 50% female , definitely not on the low side of 30%. Has anyone else experienced this?
I'd say you had bad luck if you wanted mostly pullets. We had almost the opposite, of our 4 pullets, one turned out to be a boy, of our 4 straight run, 1 is a boy. Luck of the draw, I guess. The bright side is you have a lot of options for freezer camp, eh?

Back Story: Sunday Night I posted: My three month old Lavender Orp pullet "Violet" is limping! As I've mentioned before, I still have her and my Jubilee, Adeline, stay in a large dog crate in our walk-out basement at night. I have to keep my coop sterilized to get rid of my BR's leg mites. Last night when the Orps walked in the basement door and to their crate, I heard a little crash (sound of dog crate metal). I'm thinking that maybe Violet hit her leg on the bottom lip of the dog crate when she got in.

LEG INJURY/VET INFO
Update on Violet, my three month old Lavender Orp who hurt her leg~

I took her to the vet today because I had read so much info, but didn't want to do something to make it worse. The vet took an Xray of Violet's leg, which showed that the leg wasn't broken, but it was swollen at the hock joint. Violet has a torn tendon, which the vet said was consistent with getting caught in the dog kennel/crate base as she hurried in. I'm posting a photo of the area because I know others use dog kennels at times. Had it occurred to me, I would have put a towel or something over that hump. I have been using a folded up towel at one end for the pullets to sleep on, but I wondered if that was a good idea since they could possibly snag their nails in the terry cloth and stumble. There's always an accident waiting to happen! When we started with chickens a year ago, I said that I couldn't believe how complicated chicken raising is.

The vet prescribed an anti-inflamatory pain med, Metacam 0.5ML every 24 hours. I'm supposed to drop it in her beak. She said to wait until tomorrow morning to start it since I gave Violet a quarter of an aspirin this morning. She said it would take a month or so to heal, so she needs to stay in the kennel in the basement (it's by the sliding glass doors to the outside). I can take her outside when the temps are ok and sit with her. Meanwhile, my Jubilee Adeline is her constant companion. She even came to the vet in the cat carrier with Violet because I knew they'd both freak out if they were separated. Violet is eating and drinking, but seems pretty bummed out that she can't stand and is frustrated trying to change positions.

Just for reference:
Metacam $29.50
X-ray 63.33
Avian Exam 55.25
Total: $148.08 I paid cash and didn't go into detail to my DH because I didn't want him to have a heart attack. haha It will be worth it if she recovers. The vet thinks she will, but it will take time. Also, "fyi" to Old Salt and CCCCHICKENS who have birds with leg injuries, the vet said that wrapping the leg or using a splint, etc. typically makes the situation worse because the bird struggles to remove the bandages, etc., which can cause further injuries. She was referring to Violet's condition though, so each situation is different.
Beware of metal bars at base of dog crate:

I used the same type of crate, although I used cardboard to line up about 1' all the way around. I had to change out that front piece alot, a couple times a week as they bent it coming out and in.

Edited to add that I also used the deep litter method.

Last edited:
Ok. Got a question!!! My Millie that has the babies is still turning the additional eggs. Should I let them be ? Think they will still hatch? She only added 1 baby yesterday. And she takes the babies out to eat( there is food next to them as well). So she is off the nest for a bit. But when she goes back she turns the eggs and settles in. Ideas?

Yesterday was so beautiful in Southern Indiana. I got the grass mowed (it needed it so bad and it took forever). My girls were free ranging all day and when I got to the backyard, I ended up chasing them around the entire yard with the mower. I think we went in circles a couple times before they figured, HEY!! Let's go somewhere else! Silly birds! Of course when I was done, you'd think they were in heaven. Fresh cut lawns are a favorite for them; the picking, the scratching, running around for bugs. What a delight to see!

And...I should be seeing their first eggs in a week or two. I CAN'T WAIT!

Just received my eggs that I ordered and I'm so excited and yet very worried because my incubator has been running for 5 days now and the temperature keeps rising and I can't get the temperature i need. I'm using dry incubation and info on how to lower temperature is needed!

Here's the pic of them

Also I cut the bottom of the egg carton so there's ventilation but is it ok if I leave them on the table?

I hate to ask this but our flock has just been dropping off due to something. They are all perfectly fine then one day they just drop. Pullets, roos it doesnt matter. Tonight one of my sons birds is ill that is supposed to be going to fair in a couple weeks. I fear he wont make it so i am searching for a blue copper maran roo large fowl if anyone has one. Thank u!
I don't have any of that breed. But I hope you find one.
I do have hatchery females a random assortment of breeds. I know I did not think I was going to buy more hatchery birds but I got a great deal and My flock is being reduced by hawks, owls, and CL sales.
As mentioned earlier, I'm needing another incubator to use as a hatcher. I don't want to spend the money on another cabinet incubator at this time but still want a decent one incase I just need to incubate a small batch of eggs and don't want to turn on the cabinet incubator. So I'm looking at either the Hovabator Genesis 1588 or Brinsea octagon Eco 20. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?
I have the 1588. It is nice for the first part of incubating, but the fan can't be turned off for hatching. The down side is that with the fan the water has to be added a lot. Also for some reason the instructions say for lockdown not to go higher than 65% humidity. And the warning sticker says not to operate above 65% humidity. It is way better at controlling the temps with so much less of a hassel than a still air though. It costs less and holds more eggs than the Eco 20. The turner fits other hovabators and the 1588 comes with a plastic tray for water to keep the incubator much cleaner. The clips to attach the floor the water try are annoying but not really need either. Over all I really like the 1588. It was how I got my first and only 100% hatch rate for a batch of 9 eggs.
Shop around though, some places offer free shipping others longer warranties.
Just received my eggs that I ordered and I'm so excited and yet very worried because my incubator has been running for 5 days now and the temperature keeps rising and I can't get the temperature i need. I'm using dry incubation and info on how to lower temperature is needed!

Here's the pic of them

Also I cut the bottom of the egg carton so there's ventilation but is it ok if I leave them on the table?
if you have cardboard cartons with the bottoms cut out the eggs will be able to have even better ventilation. Next the cartons need to sit for 24 to 48 hours for air cell issues but in a cool dark place so not next to the 100 degree incubator. Think bottom of a closet or high self in a cool basement.
As for the high temps, first fill some empty water bottles with water that is just under your desired temperature. place in the incubator to fill up empty space, then after 2-3 hours check the incubator temp. If it is too high, adjust down and check again in 3 hours. Remember the water bottles as well as the air will take time to cool down or heat up with any adjustment. But the water bottles help replicate a full incubator.
Next make sure the bator is nowhere near an AC vent or window or sunlight.
Other great hints in the hatching 101 article on this site.

Yesterday was so beautiful in Southern Indiana. I got the grass mowed (it needed it so bad and it took forever). My girls were free ranging all day and when I got to the backyard, I ended up chasing them around the entire yard with the mower. I think we went in circles a couple times before they figured, HEY!! Let's go somewhere else! Silly birds! Of course when I was done, you'd think they were in heaven. Fresh cut lawns are a favorite for them; the picking, the scratching, running around for bugs. What a delight to see!

And...I should be seeing their first eggs in a week or two. I CAN'T WAIT!
Ahhh finding first eggs are the best! I found a spot where my lil silkie had started laying. She's been laying for a week and I didnt even know! She's a sneaky little thing. Yes - this has been perfect weather :)

Back
Top Bottom