Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    As mentioned earlier, I'm needing another incubator to use as a hatcher. I don't want to spend the money on another cabinet incubator at this time but still want a decent one incase I just need to incubate a small batch of eggs and don't want to turn on the cabinet incubator. So I'm looking at either the Hovabator Genesis 1588 or Brinsea octagon Eco 20. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  2. itsjustme

itsjustme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    I no that #. Its the guy I got my peafowl from. I must warn anyone that is thinking of calling this man. He has all kinds of birds. Different breeds of chickens,ducks, turkeys, different color peafowl maybe phesants or quail? I've never went onto his property and left with just what I went for lol guineas. He has those also. Every bird I've ever bought from him has been healthy active no issues what so ever.
    2 people like this.
  3. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    I'd say you had bad luck if you wanted mostly pullets. We had almost the opposite, of our 4 pullets, one turned out to be a boy, of our 4 straight run, 1 is a boy. Luck of the draw, I guess. The bright side is you have a lot of options for freezer camp, eh?
  4. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  5. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Ok. Got a question!!! My Millie that has the babies is still turning the additional eggs. Should I let them be ? Think they will still hatch? She only added 1 baby yesterday. And she takes the babies out to eat( there is food next to them as well). So she is off the nest for a bit. But when she goes back she turns the eggs and settles in. Ideas?
  6. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Found a new home for my lil Sebright boy. I take him over there on Sunday. I'm sad! I'll miss the lil guy!
  7. amwchickin

amwchickin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Dubois County, IN
    Yesterday was so beautiful in Southern Indiana. I got the grass mowed (it needed it so bad and it took forever). My girls were free ranging all day and when I got to the backyard, I ended up chasing them around the entire yard with the mower. I think we went in circles a couple times before they figured, HEY!! Let's go somewhere else! Silly birds! Of course when I was done, you'd think they were in heaven. Fresh cut lawns are a favorite for them; the picking, the scratching, running around for bugs. What a delight to see!

And...I should be seeing their first eggs in a week or two. I CAN'T WAIT!
    1 person likes this.
  8. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Just received my eggs that I ordered and I'm so excited and yet very worried because my incubator has been running for 5 days now and the temperature keeps rising and I can't get the temperature i need. I'm using dry incubation and info on how to lower temperature is needed!

Here's the pic of them
    Also I cut the bottom of the egg carton so there's ventilation but is it ok if I leave them on the table?
  9. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I don't have any of that breed. But I hope you find one.
    I do have hatchery females a random assortment of breeds. I know I did not think I was going to buy more hatchery birds but I got a great deal and My flock is being reduced by hawks, owls, and CL sales.
    I have the 1588. It is nice for the first part of incubating, but the fan can't be turned off for hatching. The down side is that with the fan the water has to be added a lot. Also for some reason the instructions say for lockdown not to go higher than 65% humidity. And the warning sticker says not to operate above 65% humidity. It is way better at controlling the temps with so much less of a hassel than a still air though. It costs less and holds more eggs than the Eco 20. The turner fits other hovabators and the 1588 comes with a plastic tray for water to keep the incubator much cleaner. The clips to attach the floor the water try are annoying but not really need either. Over all I really like the 1588. It was how I got my first and only 100% hatch rate for a batch of 9 eggs.
    Shop around though, some places offer free shipping others longer warranties.
    if you have cardboard cartons with the bottoms cut out the eggs will be able to have even better ventilation. Next the cartons need to sit for 24 to 48 hours for air cell issues but in a cool dark place so not next to the 100 degree incubator. Think bottom of a closet or high self in a cool basement.
    As for the high temps, first fill some empty water bottles with water that is just under your desired temperature. place in the incubator to fill up empty space, then after 2-3 hours check the incubator temp. If it is too high, adjust down and check again in 3 hours. Remember the water bottles as well as the air will take time to cool down or heat up with any adjustment. But the water bottles help replicate a full incubator.
    Next make sure the bator is nowhere near an AC vent or window or sunlight.
    Other great hints in the hatching 101 article on this site.
  10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Ahhh finding first eggs are the best! I found a spot where my lil silkie had started laying. She's been laying for a week and I didnt even know! She's a sneaky little thing. Yes - this has been perfect weather :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by