INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Not trying to sound ignorant, but how are you able to tell it is fertile?
Was this like when you were going to make it for breakfast?
I currently only have one group mating, and it is my sweet bantam wyandottes.
I have two other roosters, but no mating yet. At this point, I am not planning on hatching any chickens, but eventually I may especially my Blue Ameracanas.
If the egg is fertile you will see a white bullseye like spot in the yolk. Easy to miss unless you are looking for it. Her first few eggs didn't have it but they do now. I want to put a couple in the incubator. I bet they would be adorable chicks :)

Ok, I've decided to start making my own whole grain chicken feed instead of buying commercial feed. Does anyone on here do this? If I can figure out the whole raw food diet for my dogs I should definitely be able to figure this out for chickens. I'm finding that I'm starting to get the same feeling about the crumbles that they are currently on that I have about dog kibble. It just doesn't look like food. I don't eat things that don't look like food, so why should my animals. Especially when my animals are producing food for me. I'd like to find some good local sources for my grains which is why I'm wondering if anyone else makes their feed.

Or if you have a smaller flock of 8 like us, and the run is secure/predator proof, you can keep the pop door open all the time. We let them out into the yard when we get up and are outside. They do roam unsupervised during the day, but our backyard is mostly contained.

I am currently having an issue with three chickens sleeping outside at night and I know their pen is not super secure for attacks, trying to make the tough decision of closing the coop door at night and leaving the three to defend for themselves or leaving it open to they can hide but risking my entire flock while doing so.
Due to the design I have I have to go through the coop to climb through the door to enter the run, doing so causes them all to act like fools and head outside. Making it then a challenge of popping them all back in, going outside to close the door and keeping them all inside while doing this with shear will power.

Thinking as you have all the experience.... You would love to come trench the run out and show me how it's done right..... right...I'll pay you in eggs :D

I have two other roosters, but no mating yet. At this point, I am not planning on hatching any chickens, but eventually I may especially my Blue Ameracanas.
If the egg is fertile you will see a white bullseye like spot in the yolk. Easy to miss unless you are looking for it. Her first few eggs didn't have it but they do now. I want to put a couple in the incubator. I bet they would be adorable chicks :)

Fertile vs. infertile egg pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

I've found that in general, Silkie crosses are adorable. ;)

Here is a picture that I just took showing the bullseye

Thank you all for the pictures. There is no way of knowing prior to breaking the shell correct?
No not that I'm aware of. Once you find a hens egg has been fertilized though you can be sure the next egg will be as well. Well for the most part barring something hasn't happened to your rooster I suppose. They are pretty consistent.

Out of all the wonderful eggs my girls produce I would say 90% of them are fertile. I know this seems rather high, considering the 9 hens to one roo ratio, however all the eggs I have personally cracked open I can remember two not being fertile. However I do sell a lot of the eggs so I don't see everyone one. I did just make 2 dozen scrambled eggs for the girls as a treat and all of them were fertile also.
DH was a little off put by the fact they are fertilized at the beginning, not so much anymore.

If you try to show a NH red in the RIR group it will be disqualified even if it is your first year showing and the rooster is as big as you. At a lot of smaller fairs you dont have to worry about being disqualified. At the wells co. 4h fair which is really small they let kids enter easter eggers as araucanas. They dont disqaulify them or tell them what they really have. I think they should tell them what they are really are sdo they no for next year and stuff but they never do. I counted, this year their are 4 pens of EEs labeled as araucanas.
yeah the judge pointed out the production reds that were there too. In the end I think half or over half never had a chance. Then the judge pointed out age, for RIR showing age is well past 5 months so of course the hens that were 5 months at the show lost out as well. We did not stay for the other breed showings but I have a feeling the judge would have been just as tough on the araucanas.
Quote: Hatching is fun after a while but can be stressing the first few times. Many people build their own incubators on here. I recommend starting with a still air and turner. Both go on sale at TSC in the month or two before Easter, just in time for hatching season.

Back
Top Bottom