INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    If the egg is fertile you will see a white bullseye like spot in the yolk. Easy to miss unless you are looking for it. Her first few eggs didn't have it but they do now. I want to put a couple in the incubator. I bet they would be adorable chicks :)

2. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Ok, I've decided to start making my own whole grain chicken feed instead of buying commercial feed. Does anyone on here do this? If I can figure out the whole raw food diet for my dogs I should definitely be able to figure this out for chickens. I'm finding that I'm starting to get the same feeling about the crumbles that they are currently on that I have about dog kibble. It just doesn't look like food. I don't eat things that don't look like food, so why should my animals. Especially when my animals are producing food for me. I'd like to find some good local sources for my grains which is why I'm wondering if anyone else makes their feed.

3. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am currently having an issue with three chickens sleeping outside at night and I know their pen is not super secure for attacks, trying to make the tough decision of closing the coop door at night and leaving the three to defend for themselves or leaving it open to they can hide but risking my entire flock while doing so.
    Due to the design I have I have to go through the coop to climb through the door to enter the run, doing so causes them all to act like fools and head outside. Making it then a challenge of popping them all back in, going outside to close the door and keeping them all inside while doing this with shear will power.

Thinking as you have all the experience.... You would love to come trench the run out and show me how it's done right..... right...I'll pay you in eggs :D

4. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

Fertile vs. infertile egg pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

I've found that in general, Silkie crosses are adorable. ;)

5. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
  6. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Here is a picture that I just took showing the bullseye

[​IMG]

7. MillerBirds

MillerBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Indiana
    Thank you all for the pictures. There is no way of knowing prior to breaking the shell correct?

8. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    No not that I'm aware of. Once you find a hens egg has been fertilized though you can be sure the next egg will be as well. Well for the most part barring something hasn't happened to your rooster I suppose. They are pretty consistent.

9. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Out of all the wonderful eggs my girls produce I would say 90% of them are fertile. I know this seems rather high, considering the 9 hens to one roo ratio, however all the eggs I have personally cracked open I can remember two not being fertile. However I do sell a lot of the eggs so I don't see everyone one. I did just make 2 dozen scrambled eggs for the girls as a treat and all of them were fertile also.
    DH was a little off put by the fact they are fertilized at the beginning, not so much anymore.

10. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    yeah the judge pointed out the production reds that were there too. In the end I think half or over half never had a chance. Then the judge pointed out age, for RIR showing age is well past 5 months so of course the hens that were 5 months at the show lost out as well. We did not stay for the other breed showings but I have a feeling the judge would have been just as tough on the araucanas.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by