INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    We finally got the coop addition foundation put together! :celebrate :weee In about 48-72 hours (once the concrete cures), we can finally start building this thing!!

To all commenters on Rangi and the other babies, all I have to say is aw, shucks. :D Me and the little ones appreciate the love.

"...You're making me blush..."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  2. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Finally got my first EE egg...

Sadly is was soft and laid while sitting on a perch outside so it lasted all of about five minutes thanks to 13 excited and obviously starving chickens.

Maybe the others will follow suit. Excited about moving them to their own pen.

3. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Just found this cat by my back door. The poor cat had one of her ears cut a little bit. You can see it in the picture

4. gonebad395

gonebad395 New Egg

May 5, 2013
    do I ha e to have a rooster?

5. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Old salt- well I compared pics of Weed whacked Jimmy!! He still looks beat up but he looks better to me!!!;). Has more color!

1 person likes this.
  6. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Ok I know I've said it before and you said you drink while writing your stuff, but I've really got to quit drinking while reading your stuff. It might be the death of me. I like your humor.

I might have two bantams I could bring to the meeting however I've never killed anything that wasn't a spider before and its possible it could end badly. They keep going after my favorite hen (lucy) and I'm about to take a shovel to their backsides. Lucy is a red sex-link and while I don't know much about the breeds, she is the sweetest thing going...except for the other chocolate covered red head holding her like a baby. I could really have 5 more just like her (the chicken, not the girl [​IMG]).

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Ok I know I've said it before and you said you drink while writing your stuff, but I've really got to quit drinking while reading your stuff. It might be the death of me. I like your humor.

John/ Old Salt- that was for you. I just misused my phone.

8. MillerBirds

MillerBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Indiana

I agree. I think he is definitely brightening up. So glad you were able to take him. We would have loved to take him, but you are better set for him now.

John, your new run looks great. Glad you were able to get it done.

9. Eliaria

Eliaria Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    My cousin has 10 ISA browns and I recently obtained one as well. From my experience (of 19 weeks), mine is one of the top hens, quick layer, and pecks at the occasional passerbyer. She's quite vocal and is the one who fears me the least, going to far as to walking up to me and waiting for something, even if there is nothing to give.

My cousin's hens are very aggressive. They've pecked their chests and backs bald ( I also blame that on the small space the 10 girls are forced to live in) and eat eggs.

But you indeed have a hen. ISA browns are a "brand name" red sex link. They are red in color, and have white feathers tipped on their wings, tail, and around the neck. they are sexed when they hatch. If you had a rooster, he would be white with a few red patches on his wings/shoulder area. No exceptions. They are hybrids that are bred to mature quickly and be egg laying machines. At 19 weeks, she should look full grown just about. Large red waddle and comb are a good sign on this breed. Her aggressiveness comes from the Rhode Islands Red that are bred into the line, a breed that can known for aggressive chickens (roos and hens, though this is not always true). they're made to be aggressive breeders and layers, so it doesn't surprise me that that particular triat carries over into their personality a bit.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Still 6 chicks so far. 1 splash and 5 black (ameraucanas). I had one that started hatching and hadnt done anthing for quite sometime. I took it out and started peeling away the egg, it was dead :(. One chick that has a tumor or hernia on its butt. It acts a little weak, I will give it a few days and see how it is acting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by