INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Anyone have any experience with ISA Browns? I have one that has been a bit aggressive from the beginning (called her Meany), but now today I am wondering if 'she' is a 'he'. Still aggressive/bossy, but that of course could just be pecking order.

19 weeks old. Likes to hang around the chicken coop. Real friendly towards me. Nice straight comb. The comb is really the only thing that is making me question more than anything.

Thoughts please?

If 'she' is a 'he', he will have to go. Already have my designated roosters and he is not one of them.

TIA!!

Housecat- those are REALLY cute!!!;)

Crafty-- we'll my girls are 3 sooooo you may have to wait!! They laid a fair amount last year but no one acted broody!! She still has (now 6) eggs under her but I think they are done!! And I have an EE and white Cochin both on the nests but its starting to smell!! Thinking about pulling them off!!! They will NOT be happy!! Glad you had a good trip. I've never been to Minn!!

Also my leghorn just started laying,3 in the last 4 days. None of the other girls the same age have started yet. 18 weeks

Also I bought a kiddie pool for my dogs several weeks ago when we had that hot spell!! All three wont touch it. I put a rug in the bottom in case they thought it was slick. They all love to lay in our creek and have no fear.......except now for a 6 inch pool!!

5 more days tell the fair .... I'm so nervous I hope it isn't extremely hot out like last year who has showed Poultry??? Do they ask you questions if so what type of questions???

They asked questions for showmanship at the fair in Columbus, IN. They are detailed questions coming from the SOP for your breed and other breeds. Depending on the 4-h level. To be honest the questions that they mentioned asking the most experienced students were not something one crams in overnight. Stuff about which breeds have barring and which do but should not. Stuff about the base of a feather being a good base for one breed but that same feather would be a horrible feather base on another breed. Then for tiebreakers they broke out the most horrible question ~ WHY? Then there was a short lunch break. Then they asked one or two questions if the judge wanted extra info for the chicken showing part. The poultry judging took most of a day in Columbus with showmanship for little ones lasting no time but showmanship for the rest taking about 3.5 hours. We did not stay to see the entire bird judging as outlet mall was on our way home and there was a sale going on. :)

It sounds like this is your first time showing at a poultry 4-h show. Going to the Columbus show was my first time to go to a 4-h poultry show. Some things you might want to know to have a good and fun day. First the judge does not handle the showers with kid gloves. If you try to show a NH red in the RIR group it will be disqualified even if it is your first year showing and the rooster is as big as you. Next bring you own comfy lawn chairs. It is a nice way to save your seat if you get up to walk around. Coolers in the trunk of your car with frozen water bottles are good for both you and the chicken. Depending on the set up of the pens you may want to bring an umbrella for shade for your bird. Candy is also nice to have in case lunch is a touch late. Can't say I would recommend anything that looks like a chicken treat though :) And lastly some of the 4H students had white lab coats. For showman ship, the chickens can spend a lot of time being held and there is a risk of poo getting on clothing or poo being in the chair when it is your turn to sit in it.
I must say the fair in Columbus had a much larger poultry showing than the Johnson County fair. I did not go to the JC poultry show as I did not see it listed in the fair activities and the ribbons were already there this morning when we went to see the animals. But the barn stalls at the JC fair were very cute and interesting. People went all out to decorate their horse's stall.

My husband somehow stumbled across this really cool - but crazy expensive - coop modeled on the Hobbit houses from Lord of the Rings:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/Hobbit-Hole-Chicken-Coop-Med-Ships-Free-p1236.aspx
Crazy expensive indeed. I optioned it out like I would like it, and came out to only $3269. For up to 15 birds. Probably plus shipping, then I'd have to build it. Our coop does have cedar shake shingles, tho, so we are in the same uppitiness ha ha.

Housecat- those are REALLY cute!!!
wink.png

Crafty-- we'll my girls are 3 sooooo you may have to wait!! They laid a fair amount last year but no one acted broody!! She still has (now 6) eggs under her but I think they are done!! And I have an EE and white Cochin both on the nests but its starting to smell!! Thinking about pulling them off!!! They will NOT be happy!! Glad you had a good trip. I've never been to Minn!!

Also my leghorn just started laying,3 in the last 4 days. None of the other girls the same age have started yet. 18 weeks
Nice. Eggs are so delicous when fresh, I've discovered for the first time in my life. We got 4 (!) today, then I promply broke them. I set the basket on the 'fridge, only not back far enough, so when my son Kyle opened it to get some tea it fell and broke them. Dang parents, always breaking things.

If you try to show a NH red in the RIR group it will be disqualified even if it is your first year showing and the rooster is as big as you. 

At a lot of smaller fairs you dont have to worry about being disqualified. At the wells co. 4h fair which is really small they let kids enter easter eggers as araucanas. They dont disqaulify them or tell them what they really have. I think they should tell them what they are really are sdo they no for next year and stuff but they never do. I counted, this year their are 4 pens of EEs labeled as araucanas.

Old Salt~ Your photos are so beautiful! What a scenic place and lovely creatures~ even Jimmy. Which chicken took the "birds-eye view" shots? Btw, your faithful dog who just recovered from injuries deserves her own pool. : - )
Waddyamean? People go to spas and pay big money for a mud bath. She has her own, no charge. She just has to endure a hose-down afterward.

Millie took the birds eye views. Didn't you see her feet on the ledge in the east view?

Jimmy "The Wack Job" hasn't changed any. He eats & drinks & stands there on his left foot and gives the evil eye to all comers. His leg will probably not get better, but who knows? We'll see in a month or so.

I noticed he has spurs, so he is probably a year or older. Don't know much about golden pheasants, just what I have looked up on the net. Maybe he will clear up in all regards. Right now he looks pretty pitiful. Kind of like his feathers were ripped off and put back randomly and all his tail feathers were chopped in half. Poor little dude.

John

Last edited:
Try for the welcomes guys can't wait to learn what I can from you guys

OK, you can stop waiting. You have Rhode Island Reds. They are a great choice for eggs and general chickenness. But, you will find that the roosters are agressive. Roosters are easy to spot. They are the ones attacking your ankles. When they are 3 or 4 months old, all but 1 need to go to freezer camp.

There are youtube videos showing how. Or you can come to the Mooresville meeting at Racinchickins on 7/28 at 11:00 and learn how first hand. I can provide you with a couple of test subjects.

The roo you keep should be instructed on proper etiquette through proper application of foot to bird. Use the side of your foot, you don't want to do actual harm to your pride and joy. RIR roos are beautiful birds.

Unfortunately, this one got strained through a coyote. He was the neighborhood mean rooster.
The men kicked him, the ladies carried a broom. They all loved him, except for one equally mean old lady.

Feed your chicks "Chick starter" feed for 4 months. Switch to "Layer mix". They should start laying at about that time.
I prefer to keep feed out all the time for them. They will eat what they need and no more.

You will need a chicken house (coop) with room for roosts, nest boxes, and loafing space. You will also need room for a lawn chair to sit and watch the little feathered varmits doing chicken things. If you are handy, you can make one. If not, or if money is easier to come by than time, you can buy an outdoor storage shed and put a pop door in it. You can spend any where from $100 to $10,000 on the coop. It can be made of recycled pallets or built to match your house.

Try to make it coyote and raccoon proof. If you are not short of funds, consider an automatic door that raises in the morning and lowers in the evening. That way, you don't have to go out at 7 AM to open the door or 10 pm to close it. If the chickens are out at night, owls will find them as well as coyotes and raccoons and various other hungry critters.

During the day, all you have to worry about are hawks, dogs, and brazen coyotes that have not been shot at.

What are you sitting around for? Get up and get at it!!!!!!!!

John

I'm looking for some Welsummer chicks close to the Fort Wayne, Indiana area within the 25-50 mile range. If anyone has any, or knows anyone who does please PM me.

Back
Top Bottom