INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    OK, borrowing from M2H posting style since otherwise this will be a long one!

First off, thank you to everyone for your concern and prayers for Alfie. He is back home now. Long story short, after 2 days at the vet, multiple x-rays and blood work, the culprit seems to be an infection in either his GI or prostate. He's on antibiotics and prescription food until his poor little system recovers. He's back to eating normal but still looks quite thin. He's about 54 lbs and is normally right around 60. I'll feel much more at ease when he is back up to his normal weight. He has a small amount of arthritis in his spine, but we've been giving supplements for that already. I've had eyes on him constantly since he's come home. He threw up once yesterday, but that's because he was chomping down on grass in the yard. It still caused some red flags to go up. On the bright side, the vet did say as far as everything else is concerned he's in great condition for a bulldog his age. Really hoping we get a few more years with him. He's been with DH and I threw just about our entire relationship. I got him my senior year of college and he's basically an extension of us. It will be extremely hard to say goodbye to him when that time comes. There will never be another dog in our lives quite as special as Alfie.

[​IMG]

danand~ the picture of your momma and babies is just too cute! Really hoping one of my girls goes broody sometime. I don't think I have the time or patience to incubate, but I'd love it if one of my girls did the work for me! Plus, I think it would be a really fun relationship to watch.

pipdsipdnreadytogo~ I think you are crazy!!!! [​IMG] I had the flock in the house until they were about 6 weeks old and I think I would have gone insane if they were there for another day. I love them to death, but not in my house. I really want to get a few more chicks next summer and hopefully that will be enough time for me to forget the mess the kids made in the house. Also, I just Love Hika Ma! My roo is an EE as well and I'm pretty sure they are the best.

CRSelvey~ Alfie is our first English Bulldog. Ever since I was a little girl I knew that was the dog I wanted. He has been beyond perfect for us. I know I'm biased, but I really believe that you can't find a better personality in a dog than a bulldog. My best friend has 2 as well. Every bullie I've ever been around has been a champ. After the scare with Alfie I told DH I think I'm done with dogs, but I'm sure we'll always end up with a bullie in our lives. I just don't think we could go without one.

Mother2Hens~ You are the best chicken mom ever! I'm so glad that you have figured out what the problem is. How is Tweedy's little bum doing?

MillerBirds~ DH and I looked into doing a backyard water garden at one time.... I can't find the link to the forum I really liked about it, but I found this site helpful. http://watergarden.com/pages/build_wg.html

Peeps4me~ I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. My prayers are with you and your family. I hope life brings you some joy and healing.

irtehun~ Welcome! Be prepared for an extremely active thread!

bradselig~ Those crested legbars are just too cute. You really need to stop with the adorable breeds or I may come steal some chickens. If you come up with any missing I don't know what happened to them.

gonebad395~ Welcome to the thread! This is my first time with chickens as well and I'm absolutely loving it.

On another note, DH said he heard Carl crowing yesterday... I'm really bummed he heard him before me, but excited to hear my little guy go. Still waiting on those eggs. The little girls are almost 13 weeks old and the big girls are almost 16 weeks. When do you typically see production start?

2. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    5 more days tell the fair .... I'm so nervous I hope it isn't extremely hot out like last year who has showed Poultry??? Do they ask you questions if so what type of questions???

3. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Welcome gonebad395. I'm from Porter County

4. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Good eye. The cochin is a roo, the GLW is a pullet.

I got 5 each GLW, SLW, JBG pullets. The 5 Buff Cochin and 5 Blue Cochin are straight run.

They are eating a piece of donut that I got from the donut shop trash bin while I was salvaging buckets.

Saturday's haul was 5 4-gal buckets and a couple of gallons of left-over donuts in a cardboard box.
    Whenever I go out to the barn, I throw a few over the fence. Free feed.

Since I've been scrounging buckets, I've noticed enough thrown-away donuts that I'm convinced someone down on his luck could feed a family on it. Not healthy, but better than starvation. I noticed that they do the same thing at the fast food places. When the bell rings for switch from breakfast to lunch, they gather up whatever is left and chuck it in a wastebasket. I thought "What a waste". Probably some regulation that won't allow ...........rant..............enough.

John

5. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    Quote:sorry, I meant I think your GLW pullet looks like a roo too me. "her" saddle feathers look like a roos. I may be completely mistaken though. I hope I am incorrect, my GLW are my favorite hens, just don't tell the rest!! lol

6. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    [​IMG]

Someone commented on what a lovely dog I had. You want her? Rotten dog. I was working in the chicken yard when I heard splashing. Looked around and found Millie sitting in the duck pool, happy as a clam in mud. This photo was snapped just as she was standing.

The ducks were not happy. They worked very hard to suck up mud from the ground and put it in the pool. Then along comes the rotten dog and spoils everything. Bad dog.

I hosed her off and put her in the garage to dry off. She's not coming back into the house until certified as mostly clean. Like my wife does to me.

John

1 person likes this.
  7. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I don't know anything about Jasper Pulaski. Tell me more. Jimmy the wacked may need companionship later.

John

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  8. gonebad395

gonebad395 New Egg

May 5, 2013
    Try for the welcomes guys can't wait to learn what I can from you guys

9. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

10. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    So good to hear they can help him get better!!! He looks like a sweetheart.I understand the bond you have with him, I lost my rottie to bone cancer several years ago, and still miss him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by