INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

OK, you can stop waiting. You have Rhode Island Reds. They are a great choice for eggs and general chickenness. But, you will find that the roosters are agressive. Roosters are easy to spot. They are the ones attacking your ankles. When they are 3 or 4 months old, all but 1 need to go to freezer camp.

There are youtube videos showing how. Or you can come to the Mooresville meeting at Racinchickins on 7/28 at 11:00 and learn how first hand. I can provide you with a couple of test subjects.

The roo you keep should be instructed on proper etiquette through proper application of foot to bird. Use the side of your foot, you don't want to do actual harm to your pride and joy. RIR roos are beautiful birds.

Unfortunately, this one got strained through a coyote. He was the neighborhood mean rooster.
The men kicked him, the ladies carried a broom. They all loved him, except for one equally mean old lady.

Feed your chicks "Chick starter" feed for 4 months. Switch to "Layer mix". They should start laying at about that time.
I prefer to keep feed out all the time for them. They will eat what they need and no more.

You will need a chicken house (coop) with room for roosts, nest boxes, and loafing space. You will also need room for a lawn chair to sit and watch the little feathered varmits doing chicken things. If you are handy, you can make one. If not, or if money is easier to come by than time, you can buy an outdoor storage shed and put a pop door in it. You can spend any where from $100 to $10,000 on the coop. It can be made of recycled pallets or built to match your house.

Try to make it coyote and raccoon proof. If you are not short of funds, consider an automatic door that raises in the morning and lowers in the evening. That way, you don't have to go out at 7 AM to open the door or 10 pm to close it. If the chickens are out at night, owls will find them as well as coyotes and raccoons and various other hungry critters.

During the day, all you have to worry about are hawks, dogs, and brazen coyotes that have not been shot at.

What are you sitting around for? Get up and get at it!!!!!!!!

John
Or if you have a smaller flock of 8 like us, and the run is secure/predator proof, you can keep the pop door open all the time. We let them out into the yard when we get up and are outside. They do roam unsupervised during the day, but our backyard is mostly contained.

Ok I know I've said it before and you said you drink while writing your stuff, but I've really got to quit drinking while reading your stuff. It might be the death of me. I like your humor.

I might have two bantams I could bring to the meeting however I've never killed anything that wasn't a spider before and its possible it could end badly. They keep going after my favorite hen (lucy) and I'm about to take a shovel to their backsides. Lucy is a red sex-link and while I don't know much about the breeds, she is the sweetest thing going...except for the other chocolate covered red head holding her like a baby. I could really have 5 more just like her (the chicken, not the girl
1f609.png
).

C'mon now, 5 more kids would be great, eh?

They are both cute.

Last edited:
John

Thanks for the info, it sure was helpful. Funny I was just wondering how long I needed to keep my chicks on starter and that
answered my question. Being new to all this has raised a lot of questions for me. I have a variety of 7 chicks no roosters yet
and 5 more on the way along with 2 roosters. I love watching the chicks since I put them out in the coop, but haven't gotten up the courage to let them out into the pen area as of yet. I lost 9 chicks to raccoon in May and couldn't stand to let that happen again.
I am sure we have secured the coop and pen but still have that "Old Mother Hen" feeling.

Thanks again for the info
Judy

Noticed this morning that the eggs of my young bantam silkie that just started laying are fertilized. Ack! The only roo I have old enough to breed is my main mr rooster Firecracker. He is a buff Brahma and probably five times her size. You guys think I should keep them separated or will she be ok? She doesn't show any sign of injury so far. I've never seen him bother her but the eggs are clearly fertile.

do I ha e to have a rooster?

No. I was just assuming you bought straight run. If you have all pullets, you won't have to put up with the rooster's antics and the egg production will be about the same.

Even if you did buy all pullets, chances are there might be a rooster or 2 in the batch. Sexing of chicks is about 90% accurate, depending on the skill of the sexer.

John

Noticed this morning that the eggs of my young bantam silkie that just started laying are fertilized. Ack! The only roo I have old enough to breed is my main mr rooster Firecracker. He is a buff Brahma and probably five times her size. You guys think I should keep them separated or will she be ok? She doesn't show any sign of injury so far. I've never seen him bother her but the eggs are clearly fertile.

Why would you want to spoil their fun?
wink.png

John

My neighbor up the road has chickens for a couple of months now and apperantly the hatchery sent him a roo I heard it for the first time yesterday, thought Hmmm that sounds like s roo up the road as I was going to town. When I got back yes I heard him loud and clear it put a smile on my face because 2 of the neighbors I have trouble with over stupid little stuff hate roosters.....

Not trying to sound ignorant, but how are you able to tell it is fertile?
Was this like when you were going to make it for breakfast?
I currently only have one group mating, and it is my sweet bantam wyandottes.
I have two other roosters, but no mating yet. At this point, I am not planning on hatching any chickens, but eventually I may especially my Blue Ameracanas.

Ok I know I've said it before and you said you drink while writing your stuff, but I've really got to quit drinking while reading your stuff. It might be the death of me. I like your humor.

I might have two bantams I could bring to the meeting however I've never killed anything that wasn't a spider before and its possible it could end badly. They keep going after my favorite hen (lucy) and I'm about to take a shovel to their backsides. Lucy is a red sex-link and while I don't know much about the breeds, she is the sweetest thing going...except for the other chocolate covered red head holding her like a baby. I could really have 5 more just like her (the chicken, not the girl
1f609.png
).

Smother the girl with kisses. Smother the roosters with gravy.

Your spiel at the bottom says 7 roosters, 3 hens. Kinda got that upside down, huh?

Killing chickens is not hard to do, unless you have named them and turned them into pets.
Racinchickins has a cone. That should make it easier. Not so personal.
I was raised to use a hatchet and log stump. A bit more messy.

Bring them to the Poultry Fest. If you can't bring yourself to do the deed, someone will do it for you.
Then all you have to do is the feather picking. Bring a cooler and ice for the carcasses.

John

Back
Top Bottom