INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Or if you have a smaller flock of 8 like us, and the run is secure/predator proof, you can keep the pop door open all the time. We let them out into the yard when we get up and are outside. They do roam unsupervised during the day, but our backyard is mostly contained.

2. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    C'mon now, 5 more kids would be great, eh?

They are both cute.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  3. JAG0105

JAG0105 Out Of The Brooder

John

Thanks for the info, it sure was helpful. Funny I was just wondering how long I needed to keep my chicks on starter and that
    answered my question. Being new to all this has raised a lot of questions for me. I have a variety of 7 chicks no roosters yet
    and 5 more on the way along with 2 roosters. I love watching the chicks since I put them out in the coop, but haven't gotten up the courage to let them out into the pen area as of yet. I lost 9 chicks to raccoon in May and couldn't stand to let that happen again.
    I am sure we have secured the coop and pen but still have that "Old Mother Hen" feeling.

Thanks again for the info
    Judy

4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Noticed this morning that the eggs of my young bantam silkie that just started laying are fertilized. Ack! The only roo I have old enough to breed is my main mr rooster Firecracker. He is a buff Brahma and probably five times her size. You guys think I should keep them separated or will she be ok? She doesn't show any sign of injury so far. I've never seen him bother her but the eggs are clearly fertile.

5. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    No. I was just assuming you bought straight run. If you have all pullets, you won't have to put up with the rooster's antics and the egg production will be about the same.

Even if you did buy all pullets, chances are there might be a rooster or 2 in the batch. Sexing of chicks is about 90% accurate, depending on the skill of the sexer.

John

6. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Why would you want to spoil their fun?[​IMG]

John

7. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    lol

8. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

My neighbor up the road has chickens for a couple of months now and apperantly the hatchery sent him a roo I heard it for the first time yesterday, thought Hmmm that sounds like s roo up the road as I was going to town. When I got back yes I heard him loud and clear it put a smile on my face because 2 of the neighbors I have trouble with over stupid little stuff hate roosters.....

1 person likes this.
  9. MillerBirds

MillerBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Indiana

Not trying to sound ignorant, but how are you able to tell it is fertile?
    Was this like when you were going to make it for breakfast?
    I currently only have one group mating, and it is my sweet bantam wyandottes.
    I have two other roosters, but no mating yet. At this point, I am not planning on hatching any chickens, but eventually I may especially my Blue Ameracanas.

10. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Smother the girl with kisses. Smother the roosters with gravy.

Your spiel at the bottom says 7 roosters, 3 hens. Kinda got that upside down, huh?

Killing chickens is not hard to do, unless you have named them and turned them into pets.
    Racinchickins has a cone. That should make it easier. Not so personal.
    I was raised to use a hatchet and log stump. A bit more messy.

Bring them to the Poultry Fest. If you can't bring yourself to do the deed, someone will do it for you.
    Then all you have to do is the feather picking. Bring a cooler and ice for the carcasses.

John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by