INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    For the RIR breed you need them at least a year old some say 15 months for the boys. I will have extra Heritage RIR roos from Ron's line available about the time of the show. They were born March 30th or April 28th depending on who becomes the extras. I plan to be at the show in Lebanon as well. I'm not showing any birds but I will be there.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I will be at the show in Lebanon too. I will be showing as long as I have no suprise attacks, of course buying, and maybe selling depending on how many chickens I want to get rid of at the time (as of right now there arent any but we will see as it gets closer).

3. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    So, while I research where to get some local grain to make my own food I found this http://www.scratchandpeck.com/products and a place in Chicago that sells it. I have to drive to WI this weekend to pick up dog food and go through Chicago anyway so I'm going to pick up a couple bags. It's $32 for a 40lb bag, which is pricey, but it looks quality. Has anyone ever used this food?

4. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Nice! I like that kind of payback, especially if someone is stupid for no reason.

5. Too Fast

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Ha! More eggs right now is all we need, we're getting 3-4 per day. Until someone around here decided to put the egg basket on top of the fridge door, when it was opened next, it fell and broke 4 out of the 5. Not sure who put it there (me?), but I didn't open it!

You don't have to trench it out. I started that, said no way in this clay soil, then found out all you have to do is lay it out horizontally 2 feet. Smooth as gravy then. Our chickens are roosting a lot outdoors lately, in their secure run, but it needs some welded wire around the area where they roost outdoors to keep raccoons out of reach. But still, I'm wondering who the fools are at your place. The chickens just wanna run free, and you like crawling thru their coop lol.
    Now that sounds like entertainment. I'll have to get one of those traps soon, the beetles are coming already. Free protein that way!

6. Too Fast

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Nice that he took her as a friend so fast. I've heard so many bad things about introducing new chickens to the flock it worries me a bit. We are most likely getting a faverolles next week.
    Your rooster and Julie's look fantastic. This is what I think of when I picture roosters, all proud and strutting.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  7. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    thanks!!!

8. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Ha! They do look alike! Mine is two years old and lost some tail feathers with a recent bout of mites. I think he lost them when I was washing him (that was fun lol-- actually not as bad as I imagined, catching him for said bath was most entertaining and could also account for a few of the feathers). He's so laid back and friendly. By far my favorite rooster to date. If/when I ever lose him I'll definitely look for another like him.

9. JAG0105

JAG0105 Out Of The Brooder

WOW ! What a beautiful Bird...

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Thanks! (i assumed you were talking about mine since it was in the post above)

Mine is 2 years now too! Ironically mine just got lice, thankfully I have him in a coop that only have 3 other chickens.I have more chickens but they are in different pens really far away from each other. I have to clean out the coop and use some sevin dust on him. I'm just glad he has something that can be taking care of fairly easily.I hope they go away fast because he is entered in a show in august. He is nice once I get ahold of him. But he is mean when he is in the pen. Dont get me wrong he is a great rooster, he protects his hens very well. He is also pretty. But he has attacked me before a couple of times. I have a scare on my leg where he got me with his spurs. He is the only mean roo I have. I normally dont tolerate mean roos, but he is realy good at protecting and taking care of his hens, i show him, and he is nice once I catch him. I got him when he was a little over a year old and the people I got him from didnt treat him very well, I think that is why he has an attitude which is prefectly understandable considering that. He is way niocer than when I first got him though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by