INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

So, while I research where to get some local grain to make my own food I found this http://www.scratchandpeck.com/products and a place in Chicago that sells it. I have to drive to WI this weekend to pick up dog food and go through Chicago anyway so I'm going to pick up a couple bags. It's $32 for a 40lb bag, which is pricey, but it looks quality. Has anyone ever used this food?
I tried finding an actual list of ingredients but couldn't. I bet they could send you the info. The garden hoops they had looked really nice.

Here is their info http://centralindianaorganics.com/about.htm.  They are in Lebanon.

Wonderful. Thank you. Lebanon is not too far from me.

We chose to go organic because that is part of the reason we are raising chickens. KNOW where our food is coming from. Eliminate as many GMO/hormoned products as possible.

I am working on giving up my fast food addiction.....that one is a bit harder. :-/

Wonderful. Thank you. Lebanon is not too far from me.

We chose to go organic because that is part of the reason we are raising chickens. KNOW where our food is coming from. Eliminate as many GMO/hormoned products as possible.

I am working on giving up my fast food addiction.....that one is a bit harder. :-/
I used to eat out at fast food a lot. But I rarley do anymore. Just spend all your money so you dont have money to go out to fast food lol. (I have a bad habbit of chewing on my nails, I do it subconciensly (spelling?) and I hate it)

Several people have mentioned difficulties in catching chickens. Here is an old trick.

Straighten out a coat hanger and bend it according to the following photos.

Hook end.

Handle end.

Chicken hook laying on a board for photo contrast.

Hook is sized to be slightly larger at the small end than the leg bone of the chicken.

The chicken will, usually, focus on your face and/or hand and not notice the hook. Reach it out near the leg and then swing it against his leg and instantly pull toward you, hooking the leg just above the ankle. After a couple of practice grabs, you will get the hang of it. It won't hurt the bird. It is VERY efficient.

Pull the chicken off his feet so that he is lying down trying to get away from you, but held by the hook. Grab the leg and disengage the hook. Then you can gather up the other leg and transport him to wherever upside down.

I wouldn't do this to a tame pet chicken as it will get wary of you.

But if you gotta catch the varmit and it don't wanna get caught, this will do it. Much more humane than a ballbat or shotgun.

John

Last edited:
Several people have mentioned difficulties in catching chickens. Here is an old trick.

Straighten out a coat hanger and bend it according to the following photos.

Hook end.

Handle end.

Chicken hook laying on a board for photo contrast.

Hook is sized to be slightly larger at the small end than the leg bone of the chicken.

The chicken will, usually, focus on your face and/or hand and not notice the hook. Reach it out near the leg and then swing it against his leg and instantly pull toward you, hooking the leg just above the ankle. After a couple of practice grabs, you will get the hang of it. It won't hurt the bird. It is VERY efficient.

Pull the chicken off his feet so that he is hanging by the leg from the hook. Grab the leg and disengage the hook. Then you can gather up the other leg and transport him to wherever upside down.

I wouldn't do this to a tame pet chicken as it will get wary of you.

But if you gotta catch the varmit and it don't wanna get caught, this will do it. Much more humane than a ballbat or shotgun.

John
Great idea! At meyers hatchery they sell these for $16 (not including shipping), which is dumb when you can make it for less than $1 yourself.

I used to eat out at fast food a lot. But I rarley do anymore. Just spend all your money so you dont have money to go out to fast food lol. (I have a bad habbit of chewing on my nails, I do it subconciensly (spelling?) and I hate it)

Dip your fingertips in BBQ sauce. It won't stop you from biting your fingernails, but they will taste much better.

John

Dip your fingertips in BBQ sauce. It won't stop you from biting your fingernails, but they will taste much better.

John
lol. true, but i am trying to STOP lol. I even tried putting hand sanitizer on all the time. But it didnt really work because i wouldnt realize I was doing it. If I stay busy I dont have a problem.

Hi All... I'll be moving to Wheatfield IN next week :) We bought a five acre place with a barn and can't wait to get my horses home and watch my chickens run around the yard :) I only have 5 chickens right now but I'm adding a couple more after we move into the new place. And I'm going to get a few guineas for tick control too.

Hi All...    I'll be moving to Wheatfield IN next week :)       We bought a five acre place with a barn and can't wait to get my horses home and watch my chickens run around the yard :)   I only have 5 chickens right now but I'm adding a couple more after we move into the new place.   And I'm going to get a few guineas for tick control too.       
Congrats on the new place! I can't wait to get more acreage and a barn.

So I was messing around with the tolbunt polish chicks tonight and pretty sure one is a frizzle! It's wing feathers are already coming in "bent" out. I've never had a frizzled chicken before.

Back
Top Bottom