INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Thank you. Tomorrow I intend to have a happy Wednesday![​IMG]

Just tell the kids hawks flew off with George and Sam and Max and Charlie.

I have 50 chickens, ducks, and guineas in an 8' x 16' coop. 10 roosters and a mean guinea are on death row.

I just rearranged the interior to eliminate a partition and to extend the roost to 12' x 4 tiers. That's about a foot per feathered varmit. When I started it was 81 deg. When I finished, it was 89.

Left side - all jammed up.
    [​IMG]

Right side - room to spare. Note the dumb ones on the floor at the right edge. Crappy place to sleep.
    [​IMG]

Then I started building nest boxes. The heat won and I gave up until tomorrow morning.

I bought fly strips from TSC at $2 for box of 4.
    I bought fly strips from Wal-Mart at $2 for box of 10. I recommend the latter.
    [​IMG]

Fierce guard dog making the world safe for chickendom.
    [​IMG]

John

1 person likes this.
  2. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Thanks!

3. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Thanks for the hook idea, John. I just made one, it will go in the shed by our coop. I was thinking I'd catch the roosters while they are sleeping, but this looks easier. Still trying to convince the family that Merlin's name is Nugget, and Spike's name is Dumplin.

1 person likes this.
  4. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    That also looks like something I'd make bread with...well minus the free-choice parts ;-)
    I understand. I know what's in it and I still can't give it up, but its been greatly reduced over the years. Good luck with that!
    You have no idea how much of a day you just saved me by letting me know I was off a day. I almost packed everyone up for a kids play date but now that I've seen this, we can stay home. I'd like to say I lose track because I'm a stay-at-home mom and its summer, but really I've done it all my life. When I was working, our building's security guard used to say Happy (insert day of week) so that I'd know what meetings to go to...I miss him.

I went out to let the chickens out today and my son's favorite roo walked up and bit me hard on the hand. I hold this guy all the time and he's really sweet, so why would he draw blood this morning I ask you? Ungrateful wretch...

[​IMG]
    Well its coming along. The tar paper is coming loose, but the shingles will be on soon, so I'm not worried. Once I finish the run frame, I can get the fencing back up where it belongs. Until then, they have free range of the garden when they aren't in the coop. The pretty tarp is up to keep their run area more dry. That clay is dangerous, so I'm looking forward to getting the sand in.

Happy Wednesday (again!)

5. CRSelvey

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Oh, I forgot to ask, what's up with fermenting chickens food? Is it better for them? How do you know you aren't just making drunk chickens, or is that the point?

6. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    It's only done for Irish breeds of chickens.[​IMG]

I found an article somewhere on BYC that told how to do it. It also had a before/after comparison study that showed that the feed costs went down sharply. I thought about doing it, but laziness intervened at the last moment. After I get a few other things done around here, I may give it another look. Alternately, you could do all the research, work out a method and then come over and set it all up for me.[​IMG]

John

7. CRSelvey

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't wait on that....I don't work quickly as shown by the 4 month coop project.

8. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    DH and I rented a trench digger for 2 hours to do ours and it was only about $30. Knocked it out is no time at all. Thing was heavy, but worked great! Do you have any equipment rentals in your area?

9. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    If you go into each food type directly there is a link to the feed label. Here is the one for grower which I am planning on getting.

[​IMG]

10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    awe I love lil frizzles. So cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by