INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Any tips on having a heat light not so hot last time I checked the temp was 124 so I put the heater and the light on them for now so how can i lower the temp so I don't cook them
Why not try a lower watt bulb? Heat bulbs come in 125w and 250w. What are you using? Do you even need to be using a "Heat" bulb.
All Standard Incandescent bulbs produce heat (Not CFL bulbs). Depending on your set-up, you may be able to use a regular household bulb. Think 75w -100 watts.

Have you posted pictures or descriptions of your brooder set-up? There are a lot of people here with years of experience in chickens that can help you.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Well I'm blaming all of you for this!! I went to RK and got chicks. 6 mixed Bantys and 2 wyandottes. My ordered chicks will be here Wed so ill have 8 more. A couple of the Bantys had messy butts though and I've smoked and wiped them. Ad I put a drop of mineral oil on them. Any other suggestions? Otherwise eating , drinking and running around. And you-all are right...... They are just the cutest things!!!:)
woot.gif

Well I'm blaming all of you for this!! I went to RK and got chicks. 6 mixed Bantys and 2 wyandottes. My ordered chicks will be here Wed so ill have 8 more. A couple of the Bantys had messy butts though and I've smoked and wiped them. Ad I put a drop of mineral oil on them. Any other suggestions? Otherwise eating , drinking and running around. And you-all are right...... They are just the cutest things!!!:)
woot.gif
yuckyuck.gif

I found a used Sportsman 1202 on craigslist this weekend and picked it up today. Tomorrow will be spent cleaning it all up and learning how to work it. Goodbye styrofoam Little Giants!! I am so excited to have found this incubator -- I love craigslist!!!! We had already decided to upgrade to a used Brower that we found, and then start saving for a cabinet. This let us just skip the entire middle step.

wee.gif
I called on this one and it had just sold Good luck with it.

Crafty chick- sure thing! I pass jonesville every Friday on my way to Seymour. I don't have any I am willing to trade now but its always nice to have a fellow chicken crazy near by. Me and my dad like to pair up with friends and order chicken's every spring. So you are hatching your own babies this year? I have never attempted that lol

We usually order our through hatcheries. My last bunch were just given to me by the whipkers. Shame they were all show banties. Belonged to a 4Her before I got them. Cute and free but not what I wanted. I had Orpingtons last year but just didn't want to lay. Even my trusty true Rhodes didn't want to lay. I am trying some different layers this year and hoping it turns out better.

Back
Top Bottom