INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

you guys.... I have the chance to do some trading for peafowl. Just found out... Anyone have them, opinions, comments? These will be eggs, hatch at home. I can pick them up myself, DH has a buddy from high school that is heavy into OEG, and wants some of my turkeys when they get here.
I actually started with peafowl--the chickens came later. Have had peafowl for 8 years now. They are trickier to hatch and raise; count on losses. The eggs need to be turned by hand even with a turner, which just rocks them back and forth. They need to be turned over completely twice a day, 3 times if no turner. I had my best hatches with a Brower Top Hatch incubator, which rolls the eggs rather than rocking them; unfortunately the motor gave out and I haven't got it repaired yet.
The chicks may seem to bond with you at first, but change rather quickly. I have one midnight black shoulder cock from my very first hatch who will come to me and eat from my hand but doesn't want to be touched. He hatched with crippled feet and I handled him a lot as a chick to straighten them, so is tamer.
They aren't ready to breed until 2 years; lose their trains after mating season, and start growing them back about in December.
You can find excellent info at www.peafowl.org and at www.hopkinslivestock.com.

I saw an egg rock! I am in lockdown as of today, got them all situated and ready. How long from rock til pip or hatch?
Bnunes~ Iam hatching buff orpingtons, but this is my first hatch. I am just south of columbus.

I have a could birds that I need to sell, please make me a reasonable offer. Would also love to trade for young hens or ducks.
I was give a male Yellow Golden Pheasant, unsure of age, he can be flighty. He has a crooked toe on one foot, but it doesnt bother him, he can still run like crazy. I have him in a large rabbit hutch right now and he is doing great and beautiful to look at, but I am not interested in rasing Pheasants.

I also have 2 Barred Rock Roosters that will be 1 yr in April. Something got into my coop and got 4 of my hens, and roughed up some of the others. The rooster's combs are still healing but they seem fine.

I am located in Owensville, which is about 30-45minutes from Evansville.
:)

Last edited:
as of right now I have 10 hatched and day 21 officially hit about an hour ago. hoping that I hold strong to my 75% hatch rate and have 14 more hatch!!!! Good luck everyone else who is hatching.

Crafty-I've had them roll when I put them in lockdown and not hatch until day 21. guess you'll just have to wait and see.
fl.gif
for a good hatch for you

Back
Top Bottom