INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

We have babies!!!!!
jumpy.gif
Three so far, a white silkie, a black, and a little gray spotted one. I hope more hatch today. I won't mess with her anymore, I just had to see what we had.

0.jpg

We have babies!!!!! :jumpy Three so far, a white silkie, a black, and a little gray spotted one. I hope more hatch today. I won't mess with her anymore, I just had to see what we had.
I'm so very excited for you and your new momma with chicks! You've had me on pins and needles with the questions and concerns. Sounds like a great success story.

Hello everyone, I have not been able to get on in a while. Such is LIFE! I want to pick the minds of some of you. We have thought of becoming NPIP for a while now, so that we could ship and sell which I thought was required for our state. I emailed the ISPA to learn a bit more for NPIP and express some concerns in reference to biosecurity at a NPIP flock we visited this spring. I was shocked by the reply to my email which is as follows:

this is the reply I received:

I appreciate your interest in the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP). The NPIP is a voluntary USDA poultry disease control program. The Indiana State Poultry Association (ISPA) is the Official State Agency for our state.

As you can tell from your review of one of our educational modules, we recommend that participants and all producers follow strong biosecurity procedures. It is clearly to the advantage of producers to follow the best biosecurity possible, however, program requirements involve regular testing to help ensure flocks are free of program diseases.

To become an NPIP, Subpart E participant requires annual testing for Salmonella pullorum and typhoid diseases. NPIP participation does not dictate where you source your birds, but your flocks will have to be regularly tested to maintain their NPIP status. Some states require NPIP participation for shipments into the state. If you are interested in pursuing NPIP participation. Please respond accordingly to this email, and we will follow up with the specific requirements for your areas of interest.

So here are my questions: Do you actually have to be NPIP to ship in Indiana?
Why is it required to exhibit when it is a voluntary program?
If birds are only tested once a year and biosecurity is not required, what about the birds one acquires the rest of year?

I was always told NPIP only buys from NPIP and not other outlets. But this email says that they don't care if you buy at sale barns and such.

I am really confused between what I have always been told regarding NPIP and what this email says! Is it worth the money to become certified? To me, this email looks like there is no rules regarding NPIP except the annual testing. Anything you all can help me clarify would be great.

We have babies!!!!! :jumpy Three so far, a white silkie, a black, and a little gray spotted one. I hope more hatch today. I won't mess with her anymore, I just had to see what we had.
Woohoo! Congrats! If you need a home for that little white one, I'd be glad to buy it! ;). The grey Spotted is likely a splash.

Congrats on the broody hatch.

They look great. I have 7 ~ 4 CL chicks but I'm still waiting for the CL to puff up. I'm thinking there might be 1 girl and 3 roosters not sure. I'm not counting on the last rooster to make it either, it just has a look of not going to last the day. There are 3 Sumatras 2 black and one other. I think there was a very pretty blue that just did not pip internally, the yolk was all gone but no pip. I would have helped it out if it had only pipped internally. I can't bring myself to help before that. I know I saw movement in that egg when I peaked while helping the first injured Sumatra. I keep telling myself it would not have made it, but I still don't feel great about not helping it.

All of the other eggs that went into lockdown were fully developed tiny chicks with a lot of yolk left, indicating they passed early in the lockdown stage. Anyone have any ideas why a chick would pass in the first day of lockdown? The incubator had been at the right temp for 3 days and 68%-72% humidity for about 8-12 hours. The humidity and temps remained constant during lockdown.

Last edited:
[kabhyper] I'm so very excited for you and your new momma with chicks! You've had me on pins and needles with the questions and concerns. Sounds like a great success story.
kabhyper~ I am so excited!
celebrate.gif
I am living vicariously through your first hatching experience. Thanks for posting the video. Lavender sure is a sweetie to let you look under her. Can't wait to see more pics/videos.
pop.gif
Congrats!! Did you sleep last night? P.S. Forget Brad's offer--- I will buy the hen and babies today. I'll be there in six or so hours.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom