INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

One thing that I was thinking with the grasses is that you don't get a stump like you do if you need to cut down a tree. Now I have no experience with them so maybe y'all can educate me.

I need a privacy across about 160' but I don't want to plant trees because they often die from the bottom up (spruces) and leave you with a bunch of tall trunks and no cover at the area you want. Then when you go to remove them, there are stumps and roots that are a hassle to get rid of.

So I was thinking to do the grasses as an experiment and if we hate them, I figured that you could just cut them down and resume mowing the area rather than having to grind out stumps.

Is that possible?

Last edited:
One thing that I was thinking with the grasses is that you don't get a stump like you do if you need to cut down a tree.  Now I have no experience with them so maybe y'all can educate me.

I need a privacy across about 160' but I don't want to plant trees because they often die from the bottom up (spruces) and leave you with a bunch of tall trunks and no cover at the area you want.  Then when you go to remove them, there are stumps and roots that are a hassle to get rid of.

So I was thinking to do the grasses as an experiment and if we have them, I figured that you could just cut them down and resume mowing the area rather than having to grind out stumps.

Is that possible?

yes very possible

What's the temps in your area? Not your incubator temps but weather temps. I figured i better clarify that since most of us are hatching fanatics. Lol

sent from your friendly neighborhood poultry raiser! cluck... cluck...

What's the temps in your area? Not your incubator temps but weather temps. I figured i better clarify that since most of us are hatching fanatics. Lol

45* and beautifully sunny here today! :) Hoping to get outside here shortly! We've been stuck in the house for the last week with the plague :( I'm SO over being sick and having sick kids!!!

Really last minute but, anyone within an hour of Danville got LF hatching eggs I could pick up tomorrow? :)

Mid 40s and sunny. I was outside, just came in to grab something to eat and going back out in a few. Hard to believe it was snowing hard yesterday morning

My chicks that I have outside are all 6 weeks and older, the lowest temp this week is going to be 34 at night and 49 daytime, do you think I could shut thier heat light off at night? I already turn it off when it is above 50. If they get cold would they have enough body heat to stay warm? There is 15 of them. in this

If you keep straw in it they should be fine. I put my birds out at 6 weeks when the whether was still going down into the teens with no losses and no heat. They actually went out with my older birds. But since yours are used to the heat lamp I'd try to kind of wean them off of it by not turning it on above 40 for a little while then 35 then 30 if it does get that low. Straw is a natural insulator so that's why I suggested it.

For my sister's visit, I suggested that we go to RK to look at the chicks!
big_smile.png
I was really tempted to get some mystery bantams, but I reminded myself that I am tired of cleaning up after chicks and hope to move my five outside soon. And yes, what crummy, cold, dreary weather today! Hopefully, Sunday will be an improvement.
smile.png

leslea ~ Sounds like a yucky scene. I'm kinda surprised that a business would be so negligent since it's so common for people to take cell phone photos of something like that to post on social media. Hopefully, the management hadn't realized the situation, and it wasn't a case of ignoring unsanitary conditions.
As far as your coop, if it's become a big stressor, you could always buy a coop or shed to convert. There are just so many hours in a day!
hmm.png

minmin~ I have been do a lot of shuffling rooms around and spring cleaning-- not to the extent that you have, but I can relate. I don't know how you do everything!! Kids, grandkids, cranky DH, childcare, not to mention chickens and other animals! You should feel proud of your accomplishments.
hugs.gif

CrazedChick ~ I remember seeing the plans to make those feeders-- they looked like a lot of work! You did a great job! I am so impressed! I know what you mean about chickens drinking out of a dirty puddle after you give them fresh water!
roll.png

rasinsemright ~ Your coop is amazing! All of you are wearing me out, just seeing all of the projects people have been taking on.
th.gif
I'm just a hard headed independent old crab-ss asccording to my husband and children. My daughter got on me because i didnt wait til she was here to help, like i have 8 months to wait for her to help...LOL. Thx for compliment though.

Ok anyone who is wanting to save on shipping and doesn't want to take the birds I don't want I'm gonna be paying very soon. So let me know asap if you want to go in on this order with me. I have no idea if she has anything besides the blue partridge and the blrw that will be ready at the same time but you can check out her page and ask if she will if you want something else. Hopefully this time next year I will have my own blrw and blue partridge brahmas to sell :D

Ok anyone who is wanting to save on shipping and doesn't want to take the birds I don't want I'm gonna be paying very soon. So let me know asap if you want to go in on this order with me. I have no idea if she has anything besides the blue partridge and the blrw that will be ready at the same time but you can check out her page and ask if she will if you want something else. Hopefully this time next year I will have my own blrw and blue partridge brahmas to sell :D

What price are you getting them for and how many? I will go in with you but honestly would probably only want a couple of each and are they being vaccinated?
Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom