INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

With silkies, a lot of people AI. Sometimes all the fluff back there makes it hard for nature. I was watching a show on National Geographic Wild channel called Shear Madness and in the episode 2 weeks ago Natalie does AI on her silkies. Looks pretty simple. 

I am so sorry for your loss. 

Did one doe have all 3 babies? Are triplets common? Just can't believe there are three and oh so cute! :love

Your silkies look amazing! Would love to have a silkie flock that large and great looking one day! Some of them even appear to be posing for the camera with their chests poofed out and tails up! :bow

Yup one two year old doe, this is second freshening and she had 3 beautiful healthy kids. Triplets are not that uncommon but not that common either if that makes any sense lol.

My kindergartner did a project in school hatching chicken eggs. They are hatched 13 chicks and guess what he gets to bring them home. Super excited not only we hatch eggs at home my son got to do it at school. His teacher called said he did a awesome job and knows so much about hatching. So now we get to add 13 more babies to like the 30 we have to already. Good thing we have big brooder. Lol in 2 more weeks we should have around 30 more chicks that's in the incubator developing.

sent from your friendly neighborhood poultry raiser! cluck... cluck...

That is really cool! I've made diapers with elastic and it worked okay. I just used scrap cloth but the fluffy silkie butts needed more room in the fabric. Did you make your own pattern or buy one? I've seen patterns online but none specifically for bantams so I always have to modify the original to get them to fit right.
I bought 2 from someone on ebay, but also found another pattern online -- I forget where though! I kinda combined the 2 ideas to make ours -- very simple pattern. I assume just a smaller version of the big ones would work for the little ones?

Does anyone make hen aprons for girls with some junk in the trunk? My BLRW has some feather damage in the "trunk" region from my over-zealous rooster (also missing a bunch of neck feathers) and may need an apron if it keeps getting worse. She really needs a body suit! She is a pretty big girl!

Hi All - I'm new to the forum and to raising chickens. I'm in Southern IN near Louisville, KY. So far, I have 4 RIRs, 3 NHRs and a bossy mutt hen. I still want to get BRs and BOs and who knows what else I'll end up with before my hubby cuts me off.
big_smile.png
Hi, neighbor!

Thanks for the sympathy. The coop's already there, it's just a run we need to build. I keep telling myself I've got a month+ until chicks get here...why am I so stressed about this run?

I think part of it's just the weather. Today's GORGEOUS. Maybe we will do something crazy and go to the hardware store on a weekday if it stays this nice. DH is not willing to buy lumber without me. He is afraid he'll get something I don't care for and I'm the engineer between us.

Which is SILLY bc neither of us are carpenters.
lau.gif

Yeah, those itty bitties were gross and I think that might have added to my stress. I don't know what they were thinking.

[COLOR=008000]Leah's Mom ~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]I took this photo today of one of our ornamental grasses that DH just cut back. Sometimes they're not perfectly round at the base if an animal, like a hen named Adeline for example, makes a path to regularly walk in and lay eggs! It is obviously dry and straw-like now, but soon it will quickly turn into a lush green plant. I think that one is Maiden grass, which looks like the photo attached. As I mentioned before, there are tons of colors and sizes.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]These two photos are the same stump -- Adeline is a size reference.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Maiden grass photo from Internet. This is what the stump will turn into.[/COLOR] [rule][COLOR=000080]CluckAcres ~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]It was 60 degrees and Sunny today here in the southwestern tip of Indiana. It was great to have my five chicks outside and to do yard work with my six hens. We're supposed to be in the 70s all week. Hope spring is making its way north, too![/COLOR]
Yes! I think that's what mine is... I think it's plumes were purple. Very pretty this last fall.

Back
Top Bottom