INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Here are my thoughts...

I'd put the little ones in first like Ellymay said. Let them get used to it for a few days.

When it comes time to put the adults in, I'd put in some kind of divider. The plastic, small opening chicken fencing could be put up temporarily to keep the adults and kiddos separated at first. Then you can start to let the little ones have access to the adult side by raising the fence between the 2 sides slightly - just high enough that they can get under but the adults can't. You want the littles to have a safe place. In the chicken world, the older ones WILL attack the little ones at some level until things get sorted out so they NEED to have a safe place.

Another thing that could work well.....
Leave the older ones in the barn at first and continue to let them range. After the littles get used to their coop and you begin to let them go outside, you could have the temporary fence outside the coop with the same thing as described above - raised just enough that they can get in but the elders can't. Then the littles will come out and begin to mingle with the olders as they get confidence but still have a safe place to go. After seeing that they are all getting along together on range alright, take down the fence and let the olders join the youngers.

OR....
If that new coop has 2 doors to the outside world even better. You could put them in with the divider inside, and give the littles a safe pen outside as described above. Then they can each get outside with a little divider on the outside to keep the little ones safe until they integrate at which time you can remove all the dividers.

Those are just a couple of ideas.

Plastic netting looks like this and you can get it at Menards/Lowes, etc.

010515090786_02887611sm.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_157764-1311...t&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=poultry+net&facetInfo=

Ok then so I have a Millie fleur Duccle and a Golden Seabright Thank everyone who cleared that up for me.. Also thank you Rural King for giving me a seabright that was supposed to be a Golden laced Wyandotte last year. hahah
Now what will I get if I hatch eggs from the two hens with the Rooster being a full size Barred Rock?? Any guesses, Will the offspring be Bantam mutts or Large chickens like the Rooster?

These are supposed to be SLW...I'm extremely fond of all my chickens, but does anyone else think these are the "ugliest SLWs" they've ever seen???
:confused:

I bought them at the RK in Muncie. The bin said SLW pullets. Does it look like they're both girls? One has much more lacing around her head and the other is smaller, but has a bit more pink to her comb. Other than a slight size difference and terrible coloring, they look like they are the same sex. I'm planning on moving them outside in the next couple of weeks, but I'd rather just rehome them.
Any takers? Make me an offer... I would be happy to keep them in the brooder until we are sure they're both girls.

Last edited:
This is the second half, of my last brooder batch ever. They are all about 5 weeks.

At first poll, everyone thought this was an OEGB. Still in agreement? What about that comb? Boy?

I just couldn't get that Golden to look at me.
:barnie

My lil Sebrights!!! I can't wait to see these guys(gals I hope) bouncing around my garden!

Last edited:
DH seen your Millie and wants some!!!! He has gone GAGA over them !!!!!!!! but every place is sold out, now he is upset.... lol " chicken people are nuts " kind think this and Cochin's have turned him into a " chicken people " .
I am fairly certain that a lot of the TSC "Assorted Bantam" bins have Mille Fleur d'Uccle chicks in them. (At least here in Central IN, I don't know about where your from) I looked at some pics to try and make sure I knew what I was looking for and picked out two last week. I guess I'll know for sure in a few more weeks when they feather in.

I am fairly certain that a lot of the TSC "Assorted Bantam" bins have Mille Fleur d'Uccle chicks in them. (At least here in Central IN, I don't know about where your from) I looked at some pics to try and make sure I knew what I was looking for and picked out two last week. I guess I'll know for sure in a few more weeks when they feather in.

that is awesome news as I saw a mixed Bantam bin at TSC last weekend.. Can you post a picture of what a chick of a Mille would look like So that I may be able to get a couple.

I am sorry for your loss. Had no idea that turkey mating could be so violent.
Thanks, I didn't either. But I do believe they were BBB turkeys and not heritage, which makes all the difference in the world. The BBB toms get way to large to do the deed. And even though she was large, shes a lot smaller than him. And just wouldn't put up with his trying and trying I'm guessing. I've been told toms won't mate a hen until she is ready, she gives the go ahead signs. He just wasn't listening.

Thanks, I didn't either. But I do believe they were BBB turkeys and not heritage, which makes all the difference in the world. The BBB toms get way to large to do the deed. And even though she was large, shes a lot smaller than him. And just wouldn't put up with his trying and trying I'm guessing. I've been told toms won't mate a hen until she is ready, she gives the go ahead signs. He just wasn't listening.
BBB = Broad Breasted Bronze Turkey?

Back
Top Bottom