INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Thank you for the info, but I couldn't take it anymore, so I helped her out. She looks like I drowned her. All I did was break away pieces of the shell down along both sides. As soon as I got some broke off she started pushing trying to get out, then after I got down so far she pushed the shell right off.

Here is a picture of her and a picture of a few that I pulled out of the incubator. There was one hatched while I was helping her so she isn't in there alone. They are both taking away to each other. I don't know if I did right by helping or not, but I can't change that now, all I can do is hope that she will survive and that I didn't harm any of the other ones still in there. Thank you every one for your help, it is much appreciated.
By the way Kab, very lovely chick.
Aww, well thats what my little one looked like when she got out too, barely moving and weak. I think she will be okay as long as she can rest and get dried off good.

Im thinking of a fun project with our male goats. going to try and train them to pull a cart. Should be fun to train them. Need to order a harness and get started.

Oh hatching friends I have an age old question. My broody was kicked off her nest while I was at work today. She's nearly a week into the process. She was locked out and it could have been up to five hours. She's back on the nest now. Think there is any chance those eggs will make it? It was 75 here and the eggs felt cool when I found them.

What do I do!!! I just found a baby bird in my newly planted chamomile! Its still mostly pink and the eyes aren't even opening a lot!! Do I move it? I can't just leave it, it will die where it's at. I can't even imagine how it got there as there's no place for a nest even close by. Ahhh help!!
Personally I would cull the wild baby bird, meaning my barn cat would get a treat. I do not have a love of wild birds around my property.

Oh hatching friends I have an age old question. My broody was kicked off her nest while I was at work today. She's nearly a week into the process. She was locked out and it could have been up to five hours. She's back on the nest now. Think there is any chance those eggs will make it? It was 75 here and the eggs felt cool when I found them.
It was quite warm here today. I would treat it much like a power outage and candle around day 10 if you can. Should the eggs not show movement, then I'm sure there are people with chicks you could give her. I have some mutts that should hatch about the same time as her eggs. Last I heard Akers was selling chicks for $1 a chick. Then at least she would not have to start over with hatching.

True.
Personally I would cull the wild baby bird, meaning my barn cat would get a treat.  I do not have a love of wild birds around my property. 

It was quite warm here today.  I would treat it much like a power outage and candle around day 10 if you can.    Should the eggs not show movement, then I'm sure there are people with chicks you could give her.  I have some mutts that should hatch about the same time as her eggs.  Last I heard Akers was selling chicks for $1 a chick.  Then at least she would not have to start over with hatching.
true. I also have a friend getting ready to place a hatchery order. We will see. They r just mixed bantam eggs I just really wanted to see what they were going to look like. I have a frizzle rooster. There is real 'cute' potential. :). So day ten u think to look for movement?

Question for the feed fermenters. What kind of feeder do you use? I'd really like the chickens to not walk in their food or knock it over. I've seen all the standard feeders at TSC, but I wanted to ask if there's any particular one that does better with mush.

Last edited:
My youngsters are a year old today! :D I made them a 'cake' and everything!

Huka the Silver Lakenvelder:

Ihi the Golden Campine:

Marama the Egyptian Fayoumi:

My poor Rangi, the Ancona:

Roha the Exchequer Leghorn:

Whiri the Light Brown Leghorn:

Mr. Po missed the party because he's been too rough with the girls (as evidenced by poor Rangi's condition!).

Here's the 'cake'! :D A hollowed out watermelon half filled with diced bell peppers, cucumbers, and apples, and then topped with a little plain yogurt. The 'sprinkles' are seeds from the bell peppers and the letters are cut out of cucumbers.

Here are some 'party favors'; hollowed apples with yogurt, peppers, and cucumbers inside.

The girls went nuts, but the older hens pretty much kept the birthday girls from their cake, which was one of the reasons why I made the apple party favors. :) All in all, I think the girls enjoyed the party. :D

I ran across this blog post today on treating Bumblefoot. I was wondering if anyone has seen or tried this?

http://ouroneacrefarm.com/bumblefoot-treatment-tricideneo/

I've done the surgery with successful results, but if this works, it is much less invasive.

I bought the tricideneo when I had a case of bumblefoot. I did try it but it is annoying because you have to soak over and over and over. Most people don't have the time to do it.

I have finally realized that most of what folks treat as bumblefoot doesn't really need to be treated. If they have active infestion - ie: seeing pus anywhere on the foot - then I will lance and treat. But I did all kinds of heroics on a foot that I don't believe - looking back - that I needed to treat the bottom center and I think I caused more trauma. This bird healed well, but I don't think I ever needed to do the surgery that I did.

I've seen the black spot on some of my kiddos with NO SIGN of infection and my current "take" on it is not to intervene unless I can see the active infection (even if there is the black spot). All the birds I have had with the black spot (2 in addition to the first one I did surgery on) never developed into active infection and they are still alive and healthy more than a year after I saw a black spot.

The one girl that I did do a surgery on had infection on a couple of the toes and I think I could have easily just lanced those and put on a topical on the infected areas. But I thought that the black spot had to be removed completely. I now know that I was wrong.

Sadly though not unexpectedly, the baby was gone next time I went out to check on it. It kind of looked like something got it as my chamomile looked a little ragged. While sad I know it was for the best. On a good note, all the chickens were in the coop on their own tonight when I went out to close up!!!! Yay for not having to chase 19 chickens around the run! Especially since hubby is sick.

Back
Top Bottom