INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Few more pictures

Congrats, and I agree with the guesses!
Here is your stress relief for the day! Gave me a good chuckle:

11013144_765006153612016_3413096038990437658_n.jpg

lau.gif

I think one of my adult chickens may have wry neck. I haven't found any really good articles on attempting to treat this. One article said that you can treat them with terramycian, but a different one said to just use polyvisol baby viatmins (without iron). Thoughts? I have used the baby viatmins before, but not for something like this
Thats what I have heard also. I had one that survived to be about 8 months, but it was a severe case.

I introduced my 4 BBB turkeys to my free range flick last night. I hope they do well together. Last years BBB did great with the chickens.

Well just a quick update and a Warm /welcome to any and ALL new Hoosier BYCer's!!!! While initially having a small coup ready for Patricks (racinchickens) Amer. Bresse chicks to be raised in who are doing Very well btw.....I got started on a more suitable coup (10x10) in the lean to part of our barn. And just Wednesday of this past week we moved Lunch and Dinner ( silly names given to them when our daughter asked if I'd named them yet) into their new digs so that our (6) new chicks ( 2 BO's / 2 SLW and 2 BR's ) could move into the brooder coup. And I'm happy to report that ALL seem to be doing well and adjusting to their new digs. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!!!!!

Hi! I'm new to Backyardchickens.com but have lurked a bit. I've decided to work on getting the zoning changed in Columbus , Indiana so that we can have a few backyard chickens. I am looking for support , information, history, and oh man, some friends to help with the battle.;) Columbus is such a forward thinking city it is time to bring this zoning ordinance from the dark ages up to 2015 and beyond.

Hi! I'm new to Backyardchickens.com but have lurked a bit. I've decided to work on getting the zoning changed in Columbus , Indiana so that we can have a few backyard chickens. I am looking for support , information, history, and oh man, some friends to help with the battle.
wink.png
Columbus is such a forward thinking city it is time to bring this zoning ordinance from the dark ages up to 2015 and beyond.

Well first of all Welcome to BYC Hoosier's!!! I wish you all the luck getting your zoning laws amended so you can be a BYC farmer!!!! If it were me I'd start looking into what other cities ( rather in IN. or not ) have changed their zoning laws to allow for this and cite those cases when you get your opportunity to take your case before the board.

I think one of my adult chickens may have wry neck. I haven't found any really good articles on attempting to treat this. One article said that you can treat them with terramycian, but a different one said to just use polyvisol baby viatmins (without iron). Thoughts? I have used the baby viatmins before, but not for something like this

PLEASE HIVE ME SOME IMPUT ON THIS! I don't want to give her something that isn't going help, specifically the terramycian. If I can give her both a one I will. This is one of my favorite birds and SHE ISNT DOING GOOD AT ALL! She is 1 1/2-2 years old so I don't have a clue why this is happening now. This is the closest thing I can match her symptoms up with!

Last edited:

PLEASE HIVE ME SOME IMPUT ON THIS! I don't want to give her something that isn't going help, specifically the terramycian. If I can give her both a one I will. This is one of my favorite birds and SHE ISNT DOING GOOD AT ALL! She is 1 1/2-2 years old so I don't have a clue why this is happening now. This is the closest thing I can match her symptoms up with!

Personally, when this happened with one of my hens, Poly-Vi-Sol did next to nothing. We hit her with B-complex, Vitamin E, and just a hint of Selenium to help with absorption of the Vit. E, given in a slurry of crumbles and water every day for a few weeks. I can get exact amounts if you need, but I think it was about half a tablet of the B-complex, most if not all of the capsule of Vit. E, and just a drop of Selenium. The thing is, if it is wry neck, it can take a month or more before you see any improvement and during that time it takes a lot of supportive care. If you're already helping her out, be patient and keep supporting her to make sure she's holding her weight and everything is okay otherwise. In all the research I did while caring for my bird, that's about all the advice I could find in the end.

Last edited:
Personally, when this happened with one of my hens, Poly-Vi-Sol did next to nothing. We hit her with B-complex, Vitamin E, and just a hint of Selenium to help with absorption of the Vit. E, given in a slurry of crumbles and water every day for a few weeks. I can get exact amounts if you need, but I think it was about half a tablet of the B-complex, most if not all of the capsule of Vit. E, and just a drop of Selenium. The thing is, if it is wry neck, it can take a month or more before you see any improvement and during that time it takes a lot of supportive care. If you're already helping her out, be patient and keep supporting her to make sure she's holding her weight and everything is okay otherwise. In all the research I did while caring for my bird, that's about all the advice I could find in the end.

Exact amounts would be awesome! I don't know if her size will matter in dosage, but she is a full grown large fowl bird. Where do I get all these things at? she is already dropping weight. But I am trying to keep it on her.

Back
Top Bottom