INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Predators...Its really becoming an issue for the winter. Our great horned owl is still quite active. Appears my Daisy the donkey is determined its not welcome in her pasture. I heard her braying and sure enough, she was chasing after it. Fanny my cow seems to agree its not OK, right behind her. I have a cow guardian for my waterfowl, awesome! Am not sleeping well after losing my goose, and checking coops several times a night. Huge wingspan and unmistakable feathered legs. It was beautiful to see it, but I sure hope it leaves.

My guinea fowl killed a hawk yesterday possibly a coopers or sharp shinned. Very small maybe a pound, 2 at most. All of my guineas were piling up on this thing attacking it. Once I saw the activity, and heard all the commotion I knew it was a predator.Saw the head I realized it was a small hawk. Underneath the body I found it had killed a young EE rooster. Poor guy was nearly stripped clean.
I hate winter, it sure brings out the predators. Love my guineas for acting on a predator to stop losses in our flocks. Sad for the little EE roo. He was sweet and unusual in color but would not coop up like a normal bird.
Sorry about your winter losses, but your story makes me kind of want guineas. However, your donkey body guard & security cow made me chuckle. What a funny but effective alarm system you have!

Sorry about your winter losses, but your story makes me kind of want guineas. However, your donkey body guard & security cow made me chuckle. What a funny but effective alarm system you have!
Guineas and donkeys are such awesome guard dogs that I actually heard about them before getting into chickens. Peas, turkeys and geese I heard about after getting into poultry, and geese are certainly effective
wink.png

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/06/modern-farmers-guide-guard-donkeys/

Hi pep's,
frow.gif
Just wanted to pop in and say HI. hope every had a great New Years day and hope the year to come is kind to all...
big_smile.png

I have alot to catch up on here, with the barn accident and then coming down sick on top of it all I've just not got the chance to get on.
Been reading a few post but have lots to go yet... lol this thread moves so fast!!
@daskhan sorry to see you are still losing birds I went through hat myself not to long ago.
hugs.gif

@Indyshent BYM is Back Yard Mix I didn't see that anyone answered you but if I missed it... sorry. We will be super bust for the next 3 weeks, but after that maybe we can make a trip to Indy.
@jchny2000 So sorry to hear about you goose.
hugs.gif

been sitting too long starting to hurt a bit so going back to my couch... lol they need to make a bedtop computer... lol
Will try and catch up some more latter...

Experienced my first duck loss...i could see a lot of white in the neighbor across the culs de sac. .i was missing a pied hen and so walked over and sure enough just a ton of feathers. ..no other parts. I honestly am not sure if that was from the other morning when Rocky woke me ..or not.. needless to say ill be penning them now. I just recently had gotten 2 more hens from @jchnny2000 to add for my rescue boy..
I now have 3 girls with the 2 boys. Im so sick of these predator issues! I could literally SCREAM!
RIP little girl! Xoxo love my scovys!
Truly sweeties.

I'm so sorry for your loss she was a beautiful duck.
hugs.gif
I've got a hen missing now I will be checking the garage and shed to see if she possibly went in there and it was then closed up.

Experienced my first duck loss...i could see a lot of white in the neighbor across the culs de sac. .i was missing a pied hen and so walked over and sure enough just a ton of feathers. ..no other parts. I honestly am not sure if that was from the other morning when Rocky woke me ..or not.. needless to say ill be penning them now. I just recently had gotten 2 more hens from @jchnny2000 to add for my rescue boy..
I now have 3 girls with the 2 boys. Im so sick of these predator issues! I could literally SCREAM!
RIP little girl! Xoxo love my scovys!
Truly sweeties.

I have a black hen that needs to go honestly. She's split to lav. I have way too many birds now :/ you can have her

My husband found her she was up in the rafters of the coop hiding. Thanks anyway I hope you find a good home for your hen.

I have a black hen that needs to go honestly. She's split to lav. I have way too many birds now :/ you can have her

I have a SLW you can have if you're interested. Shes my only one. Ive never followed the breed so im not certain of her quality but she is still hatching babies...or i have...she never has gone broody but she just turned 3 yrs old in November.

This is her at roughly 5 mos of age.

No worries, you won't hurt my feelings if you're not. ;)

Back
Top Bottom