INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I will be back but been on vaca and dealing with SHINGLES!!! But trying to enjoy a little shade and my Tom decided he needed to be In My Face!! Shhheeesh!
Sorry about the shingles.
Your Tom is crazy!!!!
clap.gif

@jchny2000
Thanks for the input regarding the wing clipping...but do you know if the d'uccle will likely raise chicks to be like they are? I have consistently been working on the bantams trying to gain their interest and I must admit, they are much more curious about me than they had been. And the boys will now carefully approach as I'm feeding treats to my big girls but they don't dare come close enough for a bite, but hopefully we will get there. But I still wonder if I should readjust my plans/hopes of having the d'uccle girl raise chicks for me because I would rather have them walking around and being noticeable like all my big girls are. We get so much joy from watching them just be chickens (except when they try to RE-LANDSCAPE per their own preferences grrr!).
I can't say much about broody experience.. I had one go broody but her eggs never hatched.

The first season we had chickens I trapped 15 raccoons and 3 raccoon kiddos within a 4-6 week period. Got a couple of opossums too.

Reminds me I should set the trap again to "test the waters".
I keep traps going all the time. These were babies am guessing they were smaller.

I will be back but been on vaca and dealing with SHINGLES!!! But trying to enjoy a little shade and my Tom decided he needed to be In My Face!! Shhheeesh!
Ugh sorry about the shingles! Love the tom tho!

I've killed 2 coons and at least 2 possums this year. Hadn't had any in a couple of years. Also there is a fox in the neighborhood. I saw it grab 2 chickens one day. I hadn't seen it around or lost any chickens in a couple weeks, I thought it was gone. Saw it in the field across the road yesterday.
We had bad fox issues last spring. When we put electric fence up and haven't seen them since. They were running right through the pasture, coming out of the woods.

ya.gif
Sugar kidded around 9:30 this morning! I have a doeling and a buckling, so happy!
celebrate.gif
Will try to get pictures to upload tomorrow. We are keeping this pair, since the pasture is larger and we have ample space. Will be wethering the buckling.

@Leahs Mom I am starting see 2 roosters developing in the Buckeyes... The plate where the combs come in are wider and redder!
One has the tiniest waddles coming in, very pinkish. I left myself a not to get a couple pictures!

Been so so so busy lately... I have 3/6 of my SS broody right now!!! 2 are missing and I only see every couple days when they come around for food, the other is in the coup... Does anyone on here raise good BLUE eggs? If so can you please pm me? My current blue eggs aren't very dark and are more of a olive blue

@Leahs Mom I am starting see 2 roosters developing in the Buckeyes... The plate where the combs come in are wider and redder!
One has the tiniest waddles coming in, very pinkish. I left myself a not to get a couple pictures!
I think I have at least 2 that I suspect. I haven't looked for wattles in awhile so I'll have to get out there and take a closer look now that you're seeing them.

I don't remember how many you kept but if you're only suspecting 2 out of the larger number you have that's a pretty good ratio!

The first season we had chickens I trapped 15 raccoons and 3 raccoon kiddos within a 4-6 week period. Got a couple of opossums too.

Reminds me I should set the trap again to "test the waters".
For those you you who free range. How do you set the traps and not catch chickens? I've tried it several times, and usually have a hen and an egg in the trap when I get home to check it in the evening. I don't have a raccoon problem, but I've had issues with opposum eating eggs. And now that I have ducklings running around, I'm afraid one of those might get grabbed.

@racinchickins
I feel terrible admitting this but i couldn't help but giggle when i read your post and pictured a hen with an egg in your trap LOL...We only trap at night once we put the chickens away for the night. We used to always get cats that I had already spayed/neutered but we bow just use animal crackers as bait and only catch raccoons now.

Back
Top Bottom