INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Since I just added a new batch of test eggs to the incubator, I cracked open a few of the extras for lunch. I think I'm seeing rings.... or is it wishful vision?

Do you think they're both fertile? (or will I be sad again next week when there's no development?)
img_7279-jpg.1263543
img_7281-jpg.1263544

@Faraday40 I am thinking bobcat from what I can see. Here is a good site with tracks (and descriptions).
http://www.wildthingsultd.org/publications/tracking-identification-guide/
I went out & found all kinds of prints around the yard. It was one big wildlife party!
Who knew so many different animals passed by? After I took these pics, I let my dogs out and they went crazy marking everything!
IMG_7262.JPG
IMG_7265.JPG

Notice the hopping pattern farther out by the shed? (also tracks only went one way)
IMG_7267.JPG

This was a diff animal that had more of a dragging gait.
IMG_7268.JPG

There were also many, many rabbit tracks - but more in front of the garage. They also left dropping trails.

DSCN2002.JPG
DSCN2170.JPG
I would love to breed English buff Orpingtons, but would end up with 50+ pet roosters, as I wouldn't be able to butcher any.

Here's my sweet Goldie. He only lived for 2.5 years. He had problems that started with an impacted crop when he was young.

I have his grandson, Tang, who is a mix, and although he doesn't get held much he is big and cuddly, and I always have to kiss him on the head when I pick him up.

I went out & found all kinds of prints around the yard. It was one big wildlife party!
Who knew so many different animals passed by? After I took these pics, I let my dogs out and they went crazy marking everything!View attachment 1263568 View attachment 1263569

Notice the hopping pattern farther out by the shed? (also tracks only went one way)
View attachment 1263570
This was a diff animal that had more of a dragging gait.
View attachment 1263571

There were also many, many rabbit tracks - but more in front of the garage. They also left dropping trails.
Are you thinking another dog?
If there are rabbits, then I think your chickens should be safe. :confused:
I usually see signs of rabbits, but this winter none. Not sure why. Hoping there aren't any predators about. However, I havent seen any tracks this winter except my dogs, birds, and mice.

Are you thinking another dog?
If there are rabbits, then I think your chickens should be safe. :confused:
I usually see signs of rabbits, but this winter none. Not sure why. Hoping there aren't any predators about. However, I havent seen any tracks this winter except my dogs, birds, and mice.
I'm thinking a fox made the dog-like prints and a skunk or possum or cat made the other tracks. We had a fox visiting regularly in Aug-Sept at all different times of day. My dog was the only deterrent. (The fox only ran a short distance from me, so the dog charging at it sent it temporally running.) I haven't seen it in the yard for months, but these prints (and hole in the window) could mean that it's back. I doubt a small dog made the tracks because of the deep snow & that our yard is fenced. We have an 80 lb dog & a 110 lb dog, so the little prints didn't come from them.

We have way too many rabbits around, but in fall, the fox wanted an easy "boxed lunch" instead of "fast food." No chickens were killed, but the fox did injure one inside a tractor. I now can only let the chickens free range with a dog. He doesn't actually protect, but he LOVES to chase.

Back
Top Bottom