INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I locked up the 2 younger drakes this afternoon from the Pekin/khaki group. What a difference in just a couple hours! My mature fella doesn't run after the young ducks like these 2 boys have. I am really not having hen luck in the ducks this year. Normally I don't get many boys. These 2 are freezer bound for sure, terrorizing all my duck hens.

Going to be weaning my little Daisy May - Pixie's calf very soon. We have to remove her horn buds also. Will be doing her cousin Dixie's bull calf the same day, and my Jersey/Angus mix bull calf. We will do vaccs that day as well. Horns are too dangerous for a handler, and the other cows. After Daisy is weaned we start training to a lead and learning to be a milk cow. I think my friend's daughter wants to show her in 4H next summer which will be a big help too. My cow milk stanchion is almost done! So very soon, I can train both my adult cows to it and the other calves too. Aside from milking, I use stanchions to do vaccinations and hoof care on both cow and goat herds too. DH built the goat stanchion like 2 years ago and its been very helpful. I don't need another pair of hands.

Anyone have any advice on npip certification in nort eastern Indiana? It all seems so overwhelming and I don't really know where to start... Thanks in advance, message me please!
I am sure you already have investigated, but inpoultry.com has all of the info.
http://www.inpoultry.com/npip
They also have a contact form if you have more questions. I am wondering if the local extension office would have answers as well?
I am not too far from you, next county over. :frow

Here are some recent yard pics. The flock was only out for a little while this morning. (darn hawks!!!!) We had a Coopers hawk on the ground staring through the run's hardware cloth. Most were already safely inside & I was able to find 3 birds that were hiding. About 90 mins later, there was a giant hawk sitting on the fence causing all sorts of panic. (Thankfully the flock was still locked up. They will have to stay cooped up for a few days.)

Still not sure if we're keeping Cupcake. (Buff Colombian Orp hatched March 25th) She's very pretty but thinks she's a bantam. She was placed with the bantam hatch because she was late & needed TLC. She bonded with them & insists on being with them 24/7.
cupcake1-jpg.1534180

Big Fluffy butt
cupcake2-jpg.1534181

Best friend = her older "sister" Noodle (our serama)
They were twins at hatch
best-buffs-jpg.1534178

DS's hen Chizzy just started to molt but is still looking good.
chizzy1-jpg.1534179

turkey-jpg.1534184

chick = a silkie serama mix
silkie-jpg.1534182

Spitzhauben Chick (I think pullet)
spitz-a1-jpg.1534183
I love fluffy butt.

I'm so tired of hard boiled eggs that peel terribly!
boiled.jpg

Sometimes, they peel fine, almost in an instant and other times, the egg looks like I used a cheese grater to peel it.

As I understand it, fresh eggs don't peel well and I should use 2-week old eggs for boiling because they'll peel better.

Has anyone heard a different explanation for the poor peeling eggs? Maybe I should smash the eggshell differently? I don't know.

What tricks do you use to facilitate peeling? I've heard some people put vinegar in their water before boiling, but we don't do that.

View attachment 1536454
Sometimes, they peel fine, almost in an instant and other times, the egg looks like I used a cheese grater to peel it.

As I understand it, fresh eggs don't peel well and I should use 2-week old eggs for boiling because they'll peel better.

Has anyone heard a different explanation for the poor peeling eggs? Maybe I should smash the eggshell differently? I don't know.

What tricks do you use to facilitate peeling? I've heard some people put vinegar in their water before boiling, but we don't do that.
I think its tap water, other things that affect it. We have awesome soft well water. Tastes just like Ice Mountain bottled water. I do add vinegar to the water. Bring water to a boil, then add eggs. Simmer 10 minutes then scoop out and drop into an ice water bath to cool down. Then to peel, i tap in the air sac area. Start rolling on the countertop. breaks the shell up very well for the birds too. DH love hard boiled eggs, so I cook them a couple times a week.

View attachment 1536454

I have an instant pot that works well for fresh hard boiled eggs. I can never remember the times for it without looking it up so resort to my favorite method that works great too.
I boil about 1" of water, add the eggs to that, turn the temp down, put a lid on so that they just steam for 10-12 min depending on how hard you want your eggs. I then immediately cool them off with cold water. I can peel right away if needed or put in the fridge for later and peel.
I had issues before with store bought eggs and found the steam method (before I had the instant pot too). If you think about it, the IP steams the eggs too. I think it's 6 min in the IP (but would have to look it up to be certain).

View attachment 1536454

Possibly use even older eggs. I use the oldest ones, and if I have only fresh ones, I'll set them out on the kitchen counter for about three days (in warm summer weather) before boiling.

2 Questions for everyone.

1. How many chickens do you all keep over the winter?
2. What size is your chicken housing?

:caf
Since you've been here there's another small shed and area now. This winter we'll have:

The barn: muscovies (not sure of # for the winter yet), 11 chickens (1 rooster, 5 hens, 5 pullets), 1 gander, 1 goose. I almost always open the barn door every day and scoop paths. They can go into the greenhouse too.

Shed #1: 8 chickens (7 hens, 1 rooster), and Big Bun. I may move Big Bun and his things into the barn.

Shed #2: 5 chickens (1 hen, 1 rooster, 3 pullets).

I have to fight the urge. I have a momma that's gone broody and i hate to let that go to waste. It makes me want to get her fertile eggs. My rooster is to young for me to have fertile eggs at this point. But no I will fight this urge, my grow out pen is in use right now anyways.. but it won't be in 3 weeks when they would hatch... What to do... LOL

Back
Top Bottom