View attachment 1539327

Cockerel and pullet brother and sister: View attachment 1539323

Mixed pullet:
View attachment 1539324

Another mixed pullet:
View attachment 1539325

Big Bun and a Dominique hen sharing an afternoon snack together:
View attachment 1539326

How adorable. Does your bunny live with the chickens 24/7? How much area do they share together? We have thought of this before but never wrapped my head around how it works with the different life styles they have.

I had someone call me tonight looking for a home for a potbelly piglet. If anyone is interested, send me a pm and I can give you details. They bought it at an auction and later realized its a pet pig not a "feeder".

Love your Muscovys color, is it chocolate atipico? Or something I haven't heard of yet? You have a lovely flock.

Thanks! I haven't taken time to study what the different muscovy colors are and what they're called.[/QUOTE]
I am pretty interested in colors. Love the breed, I think the "lavender" pied and Atipico (look barred) are my favorites. I don't study much on genetics tho it takes more time than I have to study it. I do know I have to keep black in the flock so I can refresh the lavender gene. I see 2 lavender tails in your ducklings! They have the atipico pattern.

I had someone call me tonight looking for a home for a potbelly piglet. If anyone is interested, send me a pm and I can give you details. They bought it at an auction and later realized its a pet pig not a "feeder".
Potbelly pigs are specifically illegal in our town. A former neighbor moved out of her Chicago apartment to a suburban house with a big backyard - with her pet pig. The village told her the pig was livestock & had to go. She ended up moving to a more pig friendly town & the village wrote a very specific ordinance against pigs.
:confused:

Not sure why they're against pigs, but I found it funny that they were legal in a city apartment but not welcome as a house pet.

Potbelly pigs are specifically illegal in our town. A former neighbor moved out of her Chicago apartment to a suburban house with a big backyard - with her pet pig. The village told her the pig was livestock & had to go. She ended up moving to a more pig friendly town & the village wrote a very specific ordinance against pigs.
:confused:

Not sure why they're against pigs, but I found it funny that they were legal in a city apartment but not welcome as a house pet.
Its funny you mention that. Truth for sure! One of my Berkshire piglets, a runt was taken in by my nephews buddy as a pet. They have an actual house & large fenced yard. I admit he was my favorite piglet, always made sure he got plenty to eat. Tiny little guy wasn't 1/3 the size of his litter mates and became very social with people.
I told him specifically to contact their city (Anderson) to make sure they could have it. Take a day to decide and make your phone calls. The next day they took it home. I guess the guys wife lied to him & me! They spent a lot getting him fixed, trained to a harness, house broke etc. Long story short, someone saw the pig and reported them. They had to rehome it.

How adorable. Does your bunny live with the chickens 24/7? How much area do they share together? We have thought of this before but never wrapped my head around how it works with the different life styles they have.
It works here because they are not kept in a run and have plenty of room. Big Bun is let out every morning with the chickens, and where the fence ends there is a spot where he can go through to get into the larger about 1&1/2 acre fenced area. He stays there most of the time, and there are muscovies, chickens and two geese. He eats like a wild rabbit.

At night he was trained to follow me into the shed and he would get his own special bowl of food. Now though he has been hiding from me at night and staying out 24/7. That will change when it gets colder.

At first when I brought home Big Bun they had to learn that one wouldn't harm the other. Big Bun has learned some chicken language and runs to hide when a rooster cackles about danger.

I think it would not work out if they have to be in a small run together. The chickens would, of course, spill and eat all the rabbit's food, and there wouldn't be enough room to give them space from one another.

It works here because they are not kept in a run and have plenty of room. Big Bun is let out every morning with the chickens, and where the fence ends there is a spot where he can go through to get into the larger about 1&1/2 acre fenced area. He stays there most of the time, and there are muscovies, chickens and two geese. He eats like a wild rabbit.

At night he was trained to follow me into the shed and he would get his own special bowl of food. Now though he has been hiding from me at night and staying out 24/7. That will change when it gets colder.

At first when I brought home Big Bun they had to learn that one wouldn't harm the other. Big Bun has learned some chicken language and runs to hide when a rooster cackles about danger.

I think it would not work out if they have to be in a small run together. The chickens would, of course, spill and eat all the rabbit's food, and there wouldn't be enough room to give them space from one another.
It sounds very cool.

I visited a farm that had rabbits free ranging. When I was a kid we had row of rabbit cages, so I never expected to see assorted domestic rabbits running loose in the grass. The woman said that the large birds (geese, turkeys, swans, etc) helped keep the hawks away. They had horses & a couple border collies as well. I wonder how they controlled over-population of rabbits.

Back
Top Bottom