INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Howdy!! My “flock” is currently 4 ringneck, 5 chukar, and 50 coturnix. added a breeding pair of NZ white rabbits that just had 1st litter of 6!! also have king quail and zebra finches
6406DFD3-6651-49ED-86DC-965FC95DDBCD.jpeg 74FA60E9-9F80-4C9F-B2B4-F474864C1D7D.jpeg

Eggs all frozen this morning and cracked ugh. So they get tossed. My single goose hen is laying and a few Muscovy. I need to add a couple piglets for food waste. There is 7 adults here right now but we still seem to have a lot of food waste. No one eats leftovers, just wasteful. I've begun freezing portions so someone will (me).
I've looked for piglets a couple months now. Closest is about 1.5 hours away.

Road Trip to get piglets 😉

Eggs all frozen this morning and cracked ugh. So they get tossed. My single goose hen is laying and a few Muscovy. I need to add a couple piglets for food waste. There is 7 adults here right now but we still seem to have a lot of food waste. No one eats leftovers, just wasteful. I've begun freezing portions so someone will (me).
I've looked for piglets a couple months now. Closest is about 1.5 hours away.

I have never tried goose eggs. I got chickens and ducks and love their eggs. How does a goose egg taste like?

Good morning, folks. I have a question. Has anyone ever introduced adult geese into a mixed flock of chickens, turkeys and ducks? I have an opportunity to buy a trio of adult African Brown geese. Just not sure it it would work out ok. My two turkeys are adult females. I’ve actually been considering getting out of turkeys altogether.

Where do you order them from? have you had any bad experience ordering online?
Thanks
I ordered through Meyer hatchery. They are always healthy on arrival. Only issue was out of stock for my Chinese last year but quickly refunded my order.

Howdy!! My “flock” is currently 4 ringneck, 5 chukar, and 50 coturnix. added a breeding pair of NZ white rabbits that just had 1st litter of 6!! also have king quail and zebra finches
View attachment 2007748View attachment 2007749
Welcome to our thread!
I have never tried goose eggs. I got chickens and ducks and love their eggs. How does a goose egg taste like?
They are richer than a chicken egg, and huge! 1 goose egg is equal to 3 chicken eggs. Husband loves them, and I also do a lot of french toast and baked goods with them.
Good morning, folks. I have a question. Has anyone ever introduced adult geese into a mixed flock of chickens, turkeys and ducks? I have an opportunity to buy a trio of adult African Brown geese. Just not sure it it would work out ok. My two turkeys are adult females. I’ve actually been considering getting out of turkeys altogether.
It may go fine, have they ever been exposed to chickens? Can't say I blame you on turkeys they are expensive to keep.

A big thanks to Rosie for meeting me and giving me some fertilized eggs so that my broody hen and my children could experience hatching eggs!

Picture attached as well as a video of her sitting in them the first time.
I think I may need to remove a couple, she’s not quite big enough to cover them, but I’m waiting to see if she scoots them back under.
How are you getting on with the eggs?

Hi Finnie, don’t know anything about geese but might be able to rehome your turkeys. I bought 2 last year but we lost one to a raccoon. our remaining boy 2728AA4B-6ED4-4507-BA14-391A70E86617.png been strutting his stuff for sometime but today I caught him with a very distressed chicken underneath him in the coop. Bald patch on her back and a very bloodied comb. So she’s back in intensive care and I’ve put the turkey in the main barn on his own for now. I’m happy to build a pen for him to live with a girlfriend or 2 but if I can’t do it easily I think it will be dinner table for him.

Welcome to the group Rosie. No such thing as too many questions. We're always happy to help.

One suggestion- although this sub-forum generally only has Hoosiers in it, questions in BYC in general often benefit from knowing roughly where you are as climate is often a factor. I recommend you go to your Account page and updating your Location field with your general location.
I can’t find where to add my location. Tips please

“It may go fine, have they ever been exposed to chickens? Can't say I blame you on turkeys they are expensive to keep.”

It turns out, they grew up with the Welsh Harlequin ducks I went there to buy, and since I’m planning to keep the WH separate, I decided to go ahead and buy the geese. They can all stay together for now. I’ll worry about integrating them with my own flock later, if I ever decide to free range them.
I didn’t really have time to take pictures before it got dark. The Welshie’s also came with some fertilized eggs that one of them had been sitting on. I needed to get those into my incubator before I could think about pictures

Odd, the quote feature isn’t working right...

Hi Finnie, don’t know anything about geese but might be able to rehome your turkeys. I bought 2 last year but we lost one to a raccoon. our remaining boy View attachment 2009369 been strutting his stuff for sometime but today I caught him with a very distressed chicken underneath him in the coop. Bald patch on her back and a very bloodied comb. So she’s back in intensive care and I’ve put the turkey in the main barn on his own for now. I’m happy to build a pen for him to live with a girlfriend or 2 but if I can’t do it easily I think it will be dinner table for him.
Hi Rosie. I’ll keep you in mind, but I’ve only just begun to think about stopping with the turkeys. I’m not ready to sell them quite yet.

I will say, you need to pen up your tom ASAP. I’ve lost a few hens to my toms in the past. Most of the time the chickens are safe, but when the young jakes get their hormones, or when spring mating season begins, there is a span of time when the tom will try to mate the chickens, and squashing and scalping is the result. Actually, now that I’m thinking about it, spring mating time wasn’t the problem because the turkey hens were available then. It was after they decided to go broody, and that’s when the tom turned to the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom