INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I had no idea that was a need! Drakes will fight each other?
Yep. They do. They also can ovemate the ducks. But, my guys are more interested in fighting each other or their dad. Lol. But, the "dad" just runs away from them. It's funny, but then also I'm sure its exhausting for him to be on alert all of the time. The 2 that I'm not keeping are brothers and they have tussled so much their feathers are broken and they look very unkempt. I've been keeping them separate and things have settled down quite a bit.

Here's a reminder about a big poultry swap this Saturday, September 18 in Silex, MO. Eastern Missouri.
It runs from 8 AM till noon. Action starts early and often goes beyond noon but in the past some people are starting to leave by 10AM.
This is the annual Fall Poultry Fest run by the River Hills Farmers' Market at the Central Elevator in Silex. From US 61, go west on Highway E through Silex till you get to the elevator.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...86e13baee50c2ac!8m2!3d39.1058579!4d-91.086921

There will be many farmers from area states with all species and breeds of poultry as well as other livestock. Lots of equipment for sale, a seasonal farmers' market. Many rarer breeds of chickens like Blue Orpingtons, Golden Campines, Barred Hollands and possibly Penedesencas.

Open to all and no admission fees nor vendors fees.

For more information on this event and to join the River Hills Farmers’ Market, contact numbers are (636) 697-3447, or (573) 485-7261.

Last edited:
Hey all, been a while.

Looks like a lot of new folks, and some of the reliables have moved on some.

Used to post a bit, and circumstances meant that we moved and had to part with the flock. I may finally be getting back to the country, and I'm excited about it, so I'm trolling around again.

Hope you're all well.

I sure wish I could go pick up some of these!
:oops:

I bought them!

D44B8C55-963C-49BC-8C9A-74B86B7FB0DB.jpeg
815B5A69-0E0B-4F6D-9590-817259F05183.jpeg

The lady said she bought them as two week old poults in the beginning of May, so I figure they hatched mid to late April. So 6 months old?

It looks like 1 jake and 1 jenny, and one still undecided, but probably a second jake. I guess I will have to keep all my recently hatched Sweetgrass poults until I can tell males from females, because now I need to increase my female numbers. I was just about to list the poults for sale, too.

:oops:

I bought them!

View attachment 2871820View attachment 2871821
The lady said she bought them as two week old poults in the beginning of May, so I figure they hatched mid to late April. So 6 months old?

It looks like 1 jake and 1 jenny, and one still undecided, but probably a second jake. I guess I will have to keep all my recently hatched Sweetgrass poults until I can tell males from females, because now I need to increase my female numbers. I was just about to list the poults for sale, too.
:)
we lost several birds this year, but my urge to hatch next spring is strong.
Please give me your most logical advise to convince me I don’t need more birds due to retiring in a few years !

Back
Top Bottom