Indoor Chicks..

FirstTimer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 3, 2009
Will They Need A Heat Lamp If They Are Indoor? I'm Wondering Because I Dont Want To Even Chance Them In The Very Very Cold Out Side.

how old are they?
if they are under 6 weeks, then yes. also be careful about where you put them - - - they have a huge amount of dust coming off them from 1 day - 5 weeks. if they dont have a full set of feathers, then dont even think about putting them outside...

Look up brooders. Should find some information in the Learning Center.

If they are inside a 60 watt light bulb, depending on how big the brooder is, is usually sufficient. You do need to regulate the temperature.

Once again, find information on brooders. I don't have it all in my head and readily retrievable.

All baby chicks need to be kept at 95' for the first week and then lower the temp by 5' each week by raising the light, unless you have a huge brooder where the chicks can get close to the light if they're cold and get away when they get too warm. Whatever watts you get, I really recommend red lights. It calming to the chicks, and they're able to sleep better then having a bright white light on them 24/7.

Chick starter or crumbles, fresh water, I like wood pellets instead of shavings. Puppy pads over the bedding for the first few days until the chicks know what their food is.

The Learning Center is a great place to read up on raising chicks. Good luck with your little ones.

Back
Top Bottom