Indoor Coop for Chickens with Special Needs

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Long story short : I have 2 Polish chicks who have special needs (partial blindness and leg deformity). As such, they will need to be house chickens for a while.

Looking to convert an armoire into a multi-level indoor coop to contain them only while we're not home about 4 hrs/day). They will get daily outside time and be able to roam the house when supervised.

How much space should I put between levels? The unit I'm looking at will allow 3 levels if I can make them 15" or 16" at the bottom, with a larger space at the top. Or I can make 2 levels that are around 24" between them.

A 3rd level would provide approx 16 sq ft. 2 levels would be approx 12 sq ft.

I like this idea, can you post a photo of the armoire? Most I've seen are pretty narrow, so thats my only thought.
Second though, multi level, assuming there will be ramps between the levels, wont the polish with the leg deformity have a hard time climbing ramps? I would be wrong, since I have no idea what this deformity is.
Following.

I like this idea, can you post a photo of the armoire? Most I've seen are pretty narrow, so thats my only thought.
Second though, multi level, assuming there will be ramps between the levels, wont the polish with the leg deformity have a hard time climbing ramps? I would be wrong, since I have no idea what this deformity is.
Following.
Here is one I'm looking at. I'd use the bottom part. It's 50" w x 20" deep and can be made into 2 levels (approx 7 sq ft per level, minus some for a ramp).
Screenshot_20220531-201605_Chrome.jpg

Here's another that looks deceptively small, but it's 44" w x 24" d, so similar sq ft.
Screenshot_20220531-201535_Chrome.jpg

Yes, I've thought about the chick with the leg deformity. I'm assuming it will stay on the lower level with the coop/nest box. So maybe 2 levels would be better.

Problem is we just don't have the room for a large footprint. We have a very small house. Eventually, I hope to have them outside in their own coop on our covered deck.

Here is one I'm looking at. I'd use the bottom part. It's 50" w x 20" deep and can be made into 2 levels (approx 7 sq ft per level, minus some for a ramp).
View attachment 3131803

Here's another that looks deceptively small, but it's 44" w x 24" d, so similar sq ft.
View attachment 3131818

Yes, I've thought about the chick with the leg deformity. I'm assuming it will stay on the lower level with the coop/nest box. So maybe 2 levels would be better.

Problem is we just don't have the room for a large footprint. We have a very small house. Eventually, I hope to have them outside in their own coop on our covered deck.
2 levels might make more sense. If she'll stay on the bottom, probably best to keep her friend close by, no farther than the top level. Otherwise she may try to find her and go up the ramp, or something like that. Otherwise, I like it, its a good idea.
Thoughts. If you can guesstimate that each level is about 7 sq ft, thats not enough room for even 1 chicken. If there are two levels thats better, but assuming they will stick together most the the time, I'm not even sure that the Polish without leg issues will go to the upper level much by itself. Surely she will sometimes, but for the most part I bet she'll hang out with her buddy. With that in mind, 7 sq. ft is not nearly enough space for two chickens. Even if the other did go to the upper level often, 14 sq. ft isn't nearly enough room for 2 chickens. Of course, these guys are disabled, so you have to make do with what you have. But, there's definitely some hoops to jump.

Also, a narrow space, is no good. You can always use space better when its square, rather than long and skinny. For bullying reasons mostly. Wether or not there will be much bullying going on with these disabled babies is questionable, but definitely something to think about.

Hmm, I feel ya with the small house, ours is absolutely tiny. I still think that levels probably isn't the best. Just because the leg issues chick wont be able to use the other levels, and or the reasons listed above.
I think that a large open space, such as a dog X-pen, or similar is a better idea. Though the small house makes that design difficult. This is when you have to get creative. I did a lot of reading on this when I had to fit my bun, Aspen into the house when I had her.
Is there a table or similar you could put the X-pen under? Using the space under objects is often a good way to use unusable space, and to not take up any room in the house. Think outside the box. Any unused space, or shareable space you have? Loft beds, or bunk bets without the bottom bunk work great for this.

Alternatively, knowing this is temporary anyway, do you have a garage or shed you could put them in? That would likely, A) Be way better for you. Chickens are dusty, and smelly, and not the easiest to fit into a household. As we both probably know. B) Be better for them. More space, more access to outdoor climate, etc.

2 levels might make more sense. If she'll stay on the bottom, probably best to keep her friend close by, no farther than the top level. Otherwise she may try to find her and go up the ramp, or something like that. Otherwise, I like it, its a good idea.
Thoughts. If you can guesstimate that each level is about 7 sq ft, thats not enough room for even 1 chicken. If there are two levels thats better, but assuming they will stick together most the the time, I'm not even sure that the Polish without leg issues will go to the upper level much by itself. Surely she will sometimes, but for the most part I bet she'll hang out with her buddy. With that in mind, 7 sq. ft is not nearly enough space for two chickens. Even if the other did go to the upper level often, 14 sq. ft isn't nearly enough room for 2 chickens. Of course, these guys are disabled, so you have to make do with what you have. But, there's definitely some hoops to jump.

Also, a narrow space, is no good. You can always use space better when its square, rather than long and skinny. For bullying reasons mostly. Wether or not there will be much bullying going on with these disabled babies is questionable, but definitely something to think about.

Hmm, I feel ya with the small house, ours is absolutely tiny. I still think that levels probably isn't the best. Just because the leg issues chick wont be able to use the other levels, and or the reasons listed above.
I think that a large open space, such as a dog X-pen, or similar is a better idea. Though the small house makes that design difficult. This is when you have to get creative. I did a lot of reading on this when I had to fit my bun, Aspen into the house when I had her.
Is there a table or similar you could put the X-pen under? Using the space under objects is often a good way to use unusable space, and to not take up any room in the house. Think outside the box. Any unused space, or shareable space you have? Loft beds, or bunk bets without the bottom bunk work great for this.

Alternatively, knowing this is temporary anyway, do you have a garage or shed you could put them in? That would likely, A) Be way better for you. Chickens are dusty, and smelly, and not the easiest to fit into a household. As we both probably know. B) Be better for them. More space, more access to outdoor climate, etc.

No tables (other than the kitchen table) or bunk beds or anything. No space that wouldn't seriously inconvenience my family. I'd thought 4 sq ft of coop was enough per chicken and that 10 was enough for run space. I figured 4 hours a day in the coop of about 7 sq ft wasn't bad, esp for chickens with limited mobility. And they're only 3 and 4 weeks old. I thought it'd be ok for a few months at most. But I'm beginning to think that this won't work no matter what I do.

I called the lady and said never mind about her chick, and I may just put Myrtle down because she won't have a good life no matter what I do. I always make things worse when I try to do things like this. It's really rather pathetic.

Thanks anyway, but I'm just going to quit while I'm ahead.

Last edited:
I hope you don't put down Myrtle. I don't know if she's the blind girl or the one with a bad leg, but I have two physically "special" girls. Sally hops instead of running after surgery to repair a leg stricture; she is fierce and runs off the rooster. Maxie has horribly crooked toes that all curl toward each other; she has a strange gait but is a happy girl.

I also have a blind dog and a cat born without eyes, so clearly I am more than a bit prejudiced about less-than-perfect critters.

I also have a permanent house chicken. Long story, but Dottie was SUPPOSED to move outdoors -- more than two years ago. She lives in a giant dog crate covered with a wooden table top to make it seem more like furniture. Dots likes to do field trips outdoors and sometimes "free ranges" in the house -- when I can keep the blind dog away from her. It doesn't matter how many times she pecks him in the face, George seems surprised Every Single Time.

Best wishes with whatever you decide. I think it's great that you have even considered going to all the effort of converting an armoire for a couple of special chicks.

I hope you don't put down Myrtle. I don't know if she's the blind girl or the one with a bad leg, but I have two physically "special" girls. Sally hops instead of running after surgery to repair a leg stricture; she is fierce and runs off the rooster. Maxie has horribly crooked toes that all curl toward each other; she has a strange gait but is a happy girl.

I also have a blind dog and a cat born without eyes, so clearly I am more than a bit prejudiced about less-than-perfect critters.

I also have a permanent house chicken. Long story, but Dottie was SUPPOSED to move outdoors -- more than two years ago. She lives in a giant dog crate covered with a wooden table top to make it seem more like furniture. Dots likes to do field trips outdoors and sometimes "free ranges" in the house -- when I can keep the blind dog away from her. It doesn't matter how many times she pecks him in the face, George seems surprised Every Single Time.

Best wishes with whatever you decide. I think it's great that you have even considered going to all the effort of converting an armoire for a couple of special chicks.
I'm just so.... tired. I don't know what I'll do yet.

Oh, I totally get it. I am exhausted today. I THOUGHT I had my limping goose cured; she's not. Some of the chickens are showing signs of worms AGAIN. I spotted two of the runner ducks OUTSIDE the fenced yard this morning; no idea how they managed that.

I forgot to buy flea meds for the cats/dogs yesterday and had to make an unplanned trip into town -- where THREE stores didn't have the kind I need in the size I need it for one of the dogs. I need to get on the riding mower, but it freaks out the blind dog Every Single Time. Indoors, he messes on the floor, and outdoors, he just runs in circles, endless circles.

Pets can add so much to our lives -- but some days, it's just stress. Take care!

Oh, I totally get it. I am exhausted today. I THOUGHT I had my limping goose cured; she's not. Some of the chickens are showing signs of worms AGAIN. I spotted two of the runner ducks OUTSIDE the fenced yard this morning; no idea how they managed that.

I forgot to buy flea meds for the cats/dogs yesterday and had to make an unplanned trip into town -- where THREE stores didn't have the kind I need in the size I need it for one of the dogs. I need to get on the riding mower, but it freaks out the blind dog Every Single Time. Indoors, he messes on the floor, and outdoors, he just runs in circles, endless circles.

Pets can add so much to our lives -- but some days, it's just stress. Take care!
Can definitely relate. I gave a limping duck, too, and a sick chicken in addition to this one. And a dog with a blood disorder, and another dog with a deformed leg. And a cat with a congenital defect that affects his eye and nose. Huh. I'm sensing a pattern here....

Back
Top Bottom