1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indoor duck pond help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MysticAK, Nov 5, 2011.

1. MysticAK

MysticAK Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2011
    Alaska
    I was wondering if anyone else has a indoor pond for their ducks, due to winters being so harsh that the ducks can't go outside. I currently live in Alaska and as we get further into winter and our weather is getting colder and colder here, i am still trying to master my indoor pond for my ducks, currently i have a very nice setup for them pond wise, however i can not seem to keep it as clean as i would like it for them. I currently have a filtration system for the pond that seems to be doing no good what so ever. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Nope, but would love to see pics of it.

3. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    What's the filter setup like? Have you tried a sand filter similar to the ones used in swimming pools? I think you would need filters to screen out the larger solids before it passes through to the sand filter as well.

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

filteration seems to be a big problem.... as in doesnt seem to work... I have harsh cold winters here.. I enclose my nite pen with plexiglass and plastic, and put a stock tank heater in the pond that turns on automatically if the water temp drops below 32 degrees. I have a drain in my pond and a freeze free hydrant and have had NO problems Yet in the winter ... when its really really cold they stay in the pond as it is 32 or above

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    You have such a cool setup Hattiegun... so do you not worry with filters at all? Just drain and refill as needed? I keep imagining what it must take to actually filter a smallish sized duck pond. Maybe a quadruple filter/sand combo that drains into 50sq feet of bog per duck and finally back to the pond...

6. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    That pool and your whole setup is really, really nice nad you gave me some great ideas. Will be expanding into a large run next summer and just might have to incorporate your wonderful ideas. I'm sure your ducks appreciate it all year round. Thanks for posting!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Your such a show off Hattie, [​IMG] but if I had your set up I'd want to show it off every chance I got too, and gives everyone such good ideas too. Your the best, even if I am jealous [​IMG]

8. Hattiegun

Quote:THANKS [​IMG]
    NO FILTERS... what a hassle.. . My drain is plumbed right out to the back of of pen.. it takes about 4 min to drain.. I rinse with the hose ( bleach/scrub one a week) put plug back in and refill.... I changed the pond every single day this summer as I have 7 ducks now and it was hot..( I also throw their treats in on the shelves at nite) and my water bill did get up to about $40 higher but what would u spend in filters and the TIME to mess with all that !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ElizabethinNY

ElizabethinNY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Central NY
    Hattie, where did you get your pond? I am thinking of building my ducks a nice area like that next spring. I am tired of dumping kiddie pools. Also, did it come with the drain installed already or did you have to install it?

Thanks! [​IMG]

10. Hattiegun

Quote:I got it at Menards... Called the Key Largo.... It did NOT come with the drain , but Im lucky that my dad put it in for me.. its just a bathtub drain with PVC pipe ... even in the winter with COLD AND SNOW it drained great... the water created its own little gully ... its a 270 gallon pond. I looked at some of the stock tanks that had drains already in them, but they were small around and too deep or really huge... I love the shelving it has to throw treats on and they stand and preen on them too.. I want another one also next spring and I hope to get one Just like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by