Indoor ducks?!?

Chick2chicken

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2017
Canada
Helloo,
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions about indoor ducks!
So I've been doing my research and all that about indoor ducks and yes I know they're a lot of work but I'm still wondering do they make good pets?
I looked up domestic duck types and completely fell in love with the magpie ducks! Would those work as indoor ducks? If I actually got ducks I would let them go outside a bunch and they would go in the bath every night and all that but I doubt ill actually get ducks. But still do any of y'all have indoor ducks? Is it just downright cruel to keep ducks inside for the night and most of the day? Can they get up stairs? I read that they get lonely by them selves so I would definitely get two ducks if I actually decide to get ducks after I find out if its a good idea and all that...
Anyway thanks for looking at this post and I'm sorry I ever thought about dong it if its cruel... after reading another post on backyard chickens https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-indoor-ducks.733910/ . After reading the reply to that thread with the three ducks and the college student it seemed like a fun and good idea.
Thanks in advance
chick2chicken

Definitely duck diapers. Birds cannot control their bowls the way that a human or even a dog or cat can. They just go whenever and wherever.

Also ducks need water deep enough to dunk their entire head whenever food is available. It's an important part of how they eat, however it also means water splashed for a 3 foot radius around the bowl/bucket. You must have a large area that can get wet like this.

I want to start out by saying: I honestly believe that when push comes to shove, cruelty is really if the animal is unhappy, stressed or in pain.

It's cruel to put an animal in a situation where it's obvious they would prefer something else (well, not like a dog that loves to chase cars, but I think you get my drift ;) )

Understanding that, it then becomes YOUR job to learn about duck behavior before you get your ducks. Read every book you can get your hands on. If you find conflicting opinions, follow the scientific research to find out which one has been proven to be right (not just some random keeper's opinion).
Watch Youtube videos that feature ducks in a variety of circumstances. Figure out what behaviors they exhibit when they are happy and with other ducks/people they like, their vocalizations, tail swishes, etc.

If you are going to be keeping any animal in the house with you (dog, cat, duck, lizard...anything) it becomes your job to speak their language, not the other way around.

That means that if you have them in the house for six weeks and they are okay, but then they start maturing and vocalize plaintively at the door for hours every day, you will have to admit the inside thing isn't working and they either need to be re-homed to an outdoor farm, or you will to have a safe, permanent outdoor coop.

I've seen our "community" ducks at a local park go up and down the boardwalk stairs multiple times.

As a personal addition...I have a Light Brahma pullet that hates being outside during the heat of the day. So, for about five hours each day she is a house chicken! She comes it, gets her diaper put on, and usually naps, goes over and eats a little, pecks around at anything she finds interesting, and then naps some more. She never cries out for the other chickens, and she never appears to be looking for them. Honestly, she may become a life-long occasional house chicken at this point simply because she behaves in a much more comfortable manner when inside the house. (Compared to the coop where she often lies alone on the dirt panting and making intermittent miserable peeps.)

I have 40+ chickens. Most of them will never set foot in my house after leaving the brooder because they have no interest in it.

Definitely don't let a forum alone be your education. Talk to indoor duck owners, read books, study duck behavior...understand what it means when a duck imprints on you and why it's a good idea to teach them young that humans have to go away sometimes. You could also raise your ducks doing everything right and they could have an aversion to hanging out with you.

I love the idea that it's possible to bring them in on occasion without making them miserable. They are my pets so if we have let us say a tornado warning I would bring them in where they are safe. I just want them safe.

The reality of Ducks. They poop every 2 minutes and make huge messes with water and feed. They are much easier and happier outside being Ducks. Duck diapers need to be changed often or they develop scalds from the ammonia in the poop..Not to sound mean at all..I would seriously consider getting a nice Parrot type Bird if your looking for a house Bird..:frow
Best of luck..

@chickens really hit the nail on the head. There are great, funny, personable indoor birds and there are great outdoor birds. In the past I had indoor birds that I loved. My life changed over the years and I no longer feel it is a good idea for me to keep indoor birds. With my killer cats it would be stressful and unsafe (among other things). This was a huge part of my decision to get chickens and ducks. I love having birds around, and for me the transition from indoor birds to outdoor birds was the sensible and responsible move. They are all incredibly fun and rewarding. I urge you to look at your living situation and choose a bird that would best fit with your home and lifestyle. My indoor birds were great for apartment living, my outdoor birds are great in my yard. There are many people on the forum that have had many different animals over the years. I'm sure we can answer some questions about other types of birds as well.

IMG_0320.JPG
@chickens really hit the nail on the head. There are great, funny, personable indoor birds and there are great outdoor birds. In the past I had indoor birds that I loved. My life changed over the years and I no longer feel it is a good idea for me to keep indoor birds. With my killer cats it would be stressful and unsafe (among other things). This was a huge part of my decision to get chickens and ducks. I love having birds around, and for me the transition from indoor birds to outdoor birds was the sensible and responsible move. They are all incredibly fun and rewarding. I urge you to look at your living situation and choose a bird that would best fit with your home and lifestyle. My indoor birds were great for apartment living, my outdoor birds are great in my yard. There are many people on the forum that have had many different animals over the years. I'm sure we can answer some questions about other types of birds as well.
I still have this Guy..Mr. Bird.. He is 12 and a character too..

Back
Top Bottom