Indoor(ish) chicken

chooketychook

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2013
Shropshire
Hi there,
I hope this is in the right place ❤️ I have a small concern I’d like some input on please.

I have a small pekin pullet she’s aged around 22 weeks or so maybe a little less we had her since she was 9 weeks old.

When she first joined our family she couldn’t seem to get along with any of my other chickens so at evening I’d bring her in I done that for about a week and during the day integrated her with the rest of the flock,they are fine now and established Infact blue has now turned into a little bully 😫 and bosses around a couple of the bigger girls.

However at roost time blue comes into the house,into her spot/mini coop and settles for the night! Not before having a wipe down,brush and a 30 minute cuddle with me! I’ve tried to put her to sleep with the others but she jumps out and runs down to the house so I felt sorry for her and allowed her to stay in (and to be honest I like the cuddles)

My worry is I keep seeing all this salmonella,parasites and deadly disease warnings about cuddling chickens or letting them indoors.

Is it really dangerous for me to allow blue to keep coming in? 😪

Attachments

• F86C43C7-0138-4693-BFEF-25E40A6BCF20.jpeg
    F86C43C7-0138-4693-BFEF-25E40A6BCF20.jpeg
    677.2 KB · Views: 9
  • EC54B4F9-CB69-4C48-9AED-7546D993348D.jpeg
    EC54B4F9-CB69-4C48-9AED-7546D993348D.jpeg
    667 KB · Views: 2
No just wash your hands your fine hun.
Thank you for replying! The house would feel empty in the night without her now 😅 but every stomach twinge or sneeze I’m thinking have I got salmonella 👀 have I got whatever Illness that comes from feather dust 🤦🏾‍♀️ I bought a small air conditioner just incase.
Sometimes I think having so much information available in the palm of your hands makes life a little less fun 😅

Hi there,
I hope this is in the right place ❤️ I have a small concern I’d like some input on please.

I have a small pekin pullet she’s aged around 22 weeks or so maybe a little less we had her since she was 9 weeks old.

When she first joined our family she couldn’t seem to get along with any of my other chickens so at evening I’d bring her in I done that for about a week and during the day integrated her with the rest of the flock,they are fine now and established Infact blue has now turned into a little bully 😫 and bosses around a couple of the bigger girls.

However at roost time blue comes into the house,into her spot/mini coop and settles for the night! Not before having a wipe down,brush and a 30 minute cuddle with me! I’ve tried to put her to sleep with the others but she jumps out and runs down to the house so I felt sorry for her and allowed her to stay in (and to be honest I like the cuddles)

My worry is I keep seeing all this salmonella,parasites and deadly disease warnings about cuddling chickens or letting them indoors.

it's definitely fine for you to keep snuggling her! I snuggle my ducks and turkeys, but I just wash my hands for 30 seconds every time after I touch them. As as long as you wash your hands, you'll be fine!

Hi there,

No just wash your hands your fine hun.

Thank you so much for responding! I do wipe her down or sometimes dry shampoo her with shampoo for small pets and wash my hands after ❤️ Infact she’s here snuggling with me right now.

it's definitely fine for you to keep snuggling her! I snuggle my ducks and turkeys, but I just wash my hands for 30 seconds every time after I touch them. As as long as you wash your hands, you'll be fine!

Attachments

• 019A5952-AA1C-49C2-84B6-E384DB64AC1C.jpeg
    019A5952-AA1C-49C2-84B6-E384DB64AC1C.jpeg
    687.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom