Inexpensive Pectin Source

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Dragonfly Ranch, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Songster

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Have been looking for an inexpensive pectin source and wanted to share what I discovered. If you have a Walmart in your area - and they carry "Ball" pectin - our price is $1.50 a box for original powered and $2.68 for liquid - the real saving comes from the coupon in the box which is $.50 off next purchase. Well, I'm not proud I tear off coupon and redeem on the spot making the final price $1.00 and $2.18 respectfully.

Checked Internet for bulk prices - did the math and coupon price is cheaper! Just wanted to share -

Happy Canning - need to get offline and get going have a ton a fresh Boysenberries waiting and Lavender that needs to be stripped and made into jelly this afternoon!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. New adventure

New adventure Songster

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Do you put the lavender in with the boysenberries or just make lavender jelly? Sounds Yum!

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You can make your own liquid pectin. just google it for the recipe.

4. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Songster

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Have not tried the lavendar with Boysenberry. Not sure if lavendar would come through, the pure lavendar jelly is somewhat mild, but I think I'll give it a try. I harvested one lavendar plant yesterday and got about 4 cups of flowers. I made some wine based jelly last week and I think I'll try using the lavendar tea in place of the fruit juice and see what I get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: