Inexpensive Temp Roof Solution

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
Hi All,
I have a small temporary coop my birds will be in while I build their new big coop. Right now the roof is a piece of plywood. What could I put on it to weatherize it? I am looking for an inexpensive solution because it is only temporary. I was going to put some tuftek paneling on it but that can get pricey... What would you all do? Paint it? I have some exterior paint but will that hold up well enough for 1-2 months? Looking for ideas...
Thanks,
Steve

Do you think just some good exterior paint will hold up well enough for 2 months? I know it seems like a dumb question, but usually paint is not used for roofs...
ETA: The total size of the roof is only 4' x 5'.

Last edited:
Quite honestly, I had an old clear plastic shower curtain (the fairly heavyweight kind) over the plywood on my original chicken tractor for TWO YEARS and it was still in fine shape when I sold the thing
tongue.png

So if you have something like that sitting around, it's certainly an easy solution. Pull it real tight so no wrinkles, and staplegun into the underside of the edges of the plywood.

Or just prime and paint. Absolutely that will be fine for a couple months, especially if the roof has some reaosnable pitch to it (so water does not pool) and it's exterior-grade (CDX) plywood.

(e.t.a. -- actually if it is reasonably-thick CDX, you *could* in principle just leave it bare-naked for a coupla months. I would not be inclined to do that myself if I had any choice, because it *will* weaken the stuff a bit in the long run, but it is not like it will actually leak or disintegrate in that timeframe)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited:
It's not exterior grade plywood that I know of, just some scrap I had lying around... I'm thinking with a good priming job and a couple of coats of exterior paint I should be good. If not, I can always add some plastic or tar paper later...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom