1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Inexperienced Unexpectedly New Hen or Rooster owner???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ldpowell, Jan 5, 2017.

1. ldpowell

ldpowell New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Hello all,

So I just bough a house out in the country and ended up with a stray hen or maybe rooster?? I need help figuring out what gender and breed it is. I originally thought hen...but I haven't seen any eggs yet (was thinking may be due to it being winter where I live?) and this morning it sounded like she/he was faintly crowing. I say faintly because one of our neighbor's has a rooster and he crows really loud....our hen/rooster let out a similar noise shortly after the neighbors crowed but it wasn't as loud. Below are some pictures...I do not know age or anything really about him/her since it just showed up (and isn't the neighbors...I asked...or maybe they lied if it is a rooster and they didn't want it lol). Also, I believe he/she is currently molting....he/she is shedding a lot of feathers and has been less active....Any help would be appreciated!! :) Thanks!! P. S. either way I am keeping him/her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. ldpowell

ldpowell New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Also forgot to mention...I believe he/she is molting...he/she has been less active and is shedding a lot of feathers....

3. ldpowell

ldpowell New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Also I forgot to mention, I believe he/she is molting...he/she is less active and shedding a lot of feathers...

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    That's a hen, pick out a girly name. Wow what a comb.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  5. ldpowell

ldpowell New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    I thought she was originally a hen and had named her Clucky ( I know real original haha)...but then I heard the crowing sound this morning and it made me think different....especially since I haven't seen any eggs....maybe she is still too young?? or too old?? to lay lol

6. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    yep she is a she. Watch others are going to get comb envy!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hen.

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd say she's an older hen, around 1.5-2 years or so "I would expect some comb damage if older". If she is molting ,right time of year for it, she'll quit laying. Also most hens slow down drastically in the winter as far as laying goes. Also being brought into new surroundings "stress" upsets they're laying cycle as well. Its likely a combination of all four, age/molting/winter/stress. She'll should start laying again in the spring. Not to say you won't get any eggs till then, just don't expect many.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

That is a hen.

That said, that is a very large comb. And if she's really crowing, she may have a hormonal imbalance that's causing her to show male traits. She may lay eggs come spring, or she may not. Just kind of a wait and see type of thing.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by