Inexperienced Unexpectedly New Hen or Rooster owner???

ldpowell

Hatching
Jan 5, 2017
Hello all,

So I just bough a house out in the country and ended up with a stray hen or maybe rooster?? I need help figuring out what gender and breed it is. I originally thought hen...but I haven't seen any eggs yet (was thinking may be due to it being winter where I live?) and this morning it sounded like she/he was faintly crowing. I say faintly because one of our neighbor's has a rooster and he crows really loud....our hen/rooster let out a similar noise shortly after the neighbors crowed but it wasn't as loud. Below are some pictures...I do not know age or anything really about him/her since it just showed up (and isn't the neighbors...I asked...or maybe they lied if it is a rooster and they didn't want it lol). Also, I believe he/she is currently molting....he/she is shedding a lot of feathers and has been less active....Any help would be appreciated!! :) Thanks!! P. S. either way I am keeping him/her.

Last edited:
Also forgot to mention...I believe he/she is molting...he/she has been less active and is shedding a lot of feathers....

Also I forgot to mention, I believe he/she is molting...he/she is less active and shedding a lot of feathers...

I thought she was originally a hen and had named her Clucky ( I know real original haha)...but then I heard the crowing sound this morning and it made me think different....especially since I haven't seen any eggs....maybe she is still too young?? or too old?? to lay lol

I'd say she's an older hen, around 1.5-2 years or so "I would expect some comb damage if older". If she is molting ,right time of year for it, she'll quit laying. Also most hens slow down drastically in the winter as far as laying goes. Also being brought into new surroundings "stress" upsets they're laying cycle as well. Its likely a combination of all four, age/molting/winter/stress. She'll should start laying again in the spring. Not to say you won't get any eggs till then, just don't expect many.

welcome-byc.gif

That is a hen.

That said, that is a very large comb. And if she's really crowing, she may have a hormonal imbalance that's causing her to show male traits. She may lay eggs come spring, or she may not. Just kind of a wait and see type of thing.

Back
Top Bottom