Inexplicable drop in production

possumblossum

Songster
11 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Blount Co., TN
I have seven EE hens, all from the hatch in Spring 09. From October, right through the winter, until ~ two weeks ago, they laid six/day religiously. For the last two weeks, I have harvested only three eggs each day; always the same, two pink and one green. Nothing has changed in their routine...same food, same feeding pattern, same forage area, same housing quarters, everything the same. The temperatures have gradually rose from the mid to upper 70's in the mid 80's during that time, but I have consequently increased their water intake. Any thoughts on this sudden drop in production?

Thanks,
Justin

It's probably the heat and humidity. It often affects egg production and eggshell quality. A hens body will try to keep herself cool and stay alive. So she'll eat less food, she may pant, and her blood's acid-to-base ratio changes, lowering her ability to produce and/or adequately calcify her shells.

Keeping the chickens cool is important. Lots of shade and places to sit in the shade, cool fresh water, they also like a breeze (from a fan, if necessary). When the temps are comfortable the hens are able to revert their body's energy back to laying eggs.

they might be going through a partial molt..meaning they will not lose most of the feathers and not lay at all, but only a few of them and cut back...mine are doing it right now also.

Have 19 from a June '09 hatch. Through the winter till about a month ago I was getting 15-19 everyday. Now its down to 10. Wish I knew the deal? Don't think heat is a factor here, has been very mild weather. I have noticed several feathers on the coop floor more than usual. I am guessing a molt. Seems early to me though. HELP!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom