Infected leg wound

WildCityMum

Chirping
Oct 3, 2017
Hello all,
I'm new to posting on here but am a bit desperate for help! I've only been keeping silkies for a bit over a year. I've been unwell myself this past week and the children have been letting the girls in and out for me. Today I noticed the hen at the bottom of the pecking order wasn't moving much. I brought her in and to my horror found a massive lesion on one leg. She's only a bantam but the wound is huge - perhaps 2.5 inches on one leg? It has a giant scab on it. I have no idea where it has come from or how long she's been suffering. A week ago she seemed very active. I feel terrible I've taken my eye off them. She does get bullied a little so I wonder if it's from pecking?

I've bathed her in antibacterial wash diluted in warm water (tcp ), then dried her with a hair dryer as she went very still and quiet. I tried removing the scabest but it started to bleed quite a bit around the edges and I was worried she might bleed out! It didn't seem to soften much from bathing? I've wrapped it up in a bandage soaked in tcp. She is very quiet and eating only a little. I find it hard to imagine a chicken could overcome such a massive wound but she is the children's favourite and my autistic son will be devastated if we don't at least try to save her. Any ideas?

Chickens can survive quite a bit when it comes to wounds.
What is tcp? Is the wound oozing at all? Any funky smell?
If it scabbed, maybe try some neosporin on it. Maybe take the bandage off though as generally it is recommended to let them stay moist, but not covered.
Can you take a pic?
I just found a new pullet of mine with a gash that I didn't notice for the 5 days that I've had her. I feel bad too, but we just do the best we can.

I had a hen with a large gash under her wing and my vet said to more or less leave it alone unless it started to look inflamed or infected. It took probably 3-4 weeks, but healed on its own. If the others are picking on her, it would probably be best to keep her separated but with the others nearby (like in a dog crate within the coop) until she’s healed. If there’s a scab, it sounds like she’s well on her way to healing.

Hello all,
I'm new to posting on here but am a bit desperate for help! I've only been keeping silkies for a bit over a year. I've been unwell myself this past week and the children have been letting the girls in and out for me. Today I noticed the hen at the bottom of the pecking order wasn't moving much. I brought her in and to my horror found a massive lesion on one leg. She's only a bantam but the wound is huge - perhaps 2.5 inches on one leg? It has a giant scab on it. I have no idea where it has come from or how long she's been suffering. A week ago she seemed very active. I feel terrible I've taken my eye off them. She does get bullied a little so I wonder if it's from pecking?

I've bathed her in antibacterial wash diluted in warm water (tcp ), then dried her with a hair dryer as she went very still and quiet. I tried removing the scabest but it started to bleed quite a bit around the edges and I was worried she might bleed out! It didn't seem to soften much from bathing? I've wrapped it up in a bandage soaked in tcp. She is very quiet and eating only a little. I find it hard to imagine a chicken could overcome such a massive wound but she is the children's favourite and my autistic son will be devastated if we don't at least try to save her. Any ideas?
Can you post some photos?

20181114_224522.jpg

This is the wound close up. The scab is dry but around the edge bleeds if I try to remove any of it so haven't. The leg is hot around it.

20181114_224629.jpg

This is her to show context. She's very placid which may not be a good sign although she is ourgent anesthesia silkie!

20181114_224556.jpg

To show the context of the size on her leg. I think it looks quite big but I have no experience of these things!

I had a hen with a large gash under her wing and my vet said to more or less leave it alone unless it started to look inflamed or infected. It took probably 3-4 weeks, but healed on its own. If the others are picking on her, it would probably be best to keep her separated but with the others nearby (like in a dog crate within the coop) until she’s healed. If there’s a scab, it sounds like she’s well on her way to healing.
That's really helpful. I've moved her into her own box with some food in. Posted some photos of the wound She's mostly not moving around at all in it. I'm lifting her out to feed her a combination of layers pellets mashed with water and water by syringe. She's eating when I offer it to her on my lap but not by herself. I think the others have been pecking at her sadly. Should we look for a vitamin feed? Any advice greatly appreciated. We are fairly clueless.

Back
Top Bottom