Infected toe, does tar work?

Jan 3, 2020
So I have a roo who broke his toe and jabbed it in to the point of it sticking up. We tried cleaning it, the toe nail fell off but he still has some nail inside. It’s inflated, yellow and turning green at the tips. We tried cleaning it and pulling out pieces of nail then adding neosporin but it isn’t helping. I bought some salve and was hoping everyone could tell me if it would help. I really don’t want to amputate. It says it’s for use in dogs and horses, and that it’s used to pull pebbles/splinters out of horses feet after races

Attachments

• 6BA8632E-51D5-45D2-8FFC-3C0B2B8BA67B.png
    6BA8632E-51D5-45D2-8FFC-3C0B2B8BA67B.png
    864.8 KB · Views: 3
So I have a roo who broke his toe and jabbed it in to the point of it sticking up. We tried cleaning it, the toe nail fell off but he still has some nail inside. It’s inflated, yellow and turning green at the tips. We tried cleaning it and pulling out pieces of nail then adding neosporin but it isn’t helping. I bought some salve and was hoping everyone could tell me if it would help. I really don’t want to amputate. It says it’s for use in dogs and horses, and that it’s used to pull pebbles/splinters out of horses feet after races
If it's already turning green you likely won't be able to save the toe. You need to get him to a vet before he loses the whole foot from infection. Drawing salve is only really good for minor infections.

He needs proper antibiotics and pain medication.

I'll tag some others here who may have advice.
@sourland
@Eggcessive

Back
Top Bottom