Infected toe

riversedgefarms

Chirping
Dec 18, 2016
we have a rooster whos 2 and a long time ago he lost a toe nail but has never had any issues. We realized tonight that it is now infected as it is hot and swollen so we brought him inside to get it cleaned up. We cleaned it and wrapped it up. Does anyone have other suggestions on how to help him?

I would be cautious about wrapping up the toe- air flow is good for it. Do you have any blue kote? That is what I would put on it, and I’d keep him somewhere clean and isolated until it starts really getting better. A dog crate with food and water in your garage would work!

Epsom salt soaks each day could help, as well as daily aspirin doses.

Be aware that an infection on a talon is likely to cause your rooster to lose that toe. What happens is your rooster's immune system will wall off that diseased extremity, closing off the blood supply. You will see the toe swell up and the tip will turn black. It will eventually dry up and fall off. It's really an amazing thing.

Daily soaks in Epsom salt might prevent this response. Another thing that could prevent it would be daily aspirin to reduce inflammation and increase blood circulation. He can have up to two baby aspirin per day. Besides reducing his pain, it could help save his toe.

I would be cautious about wrapping up the toe- air flow is good for it. Do you have any blue kote? That is what I would put on it, and I’d keep him somewhere clean and isolated until it starts really getting better. A dog crate with food and water in your garage would work!
We have him in a kiddie pool in our basement. We don’t have any blue kote but we have breathable gauze in him

Epsom salt soaks each day could help, as well as daily aspirin doses.

Be aware that an infection on a talon is likely to cause your rooster to lose that toe. What happens is your rooster's immune system will wall off that diseased extremity, closing off the blood supply. You will see the toe swell up and the tip will turn black. It will eventually dry up and fall off. It's really an amazing thing.

Daily soaks in Epsom salt might prevent this response. Another thing that could prevent it would be daily aspirin to reduce inflammation and increase blood circulation. He can have up to two baby aspirin per day. Besides reducing his pain, it could help save his toe.

I will try the Epsom salts. I’ve never done that before but I will do that. I also didn’t realize you could give them aspirin. That is really good to know

If that is to happen would the whole toe be dead then or would it just be the tip?

Back
Top Bottom