infection in both of my chickens feet. I don't know what it is. please help!

lovinTheBirds89

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 2, 2014
I noticed on of my chickens having a hard time walking a couple of days ago and immediately brought him inside to see what I could do about it. Both feet have some kind of infection. They are covered in lumps of thick "cottage cheese " like pockets undDer the skin. I tried to remove some of the pus from the lumps that were open and I literally had to scrape it out, and even then I couldn't get very much of it out. The feet are very swollen, so much that he can not bend his toes. I have done a lot of research about it and everything leads to bumblefoot but there is no black scab and the lumps are mainly on the toes and up the legs. I have soaked the feet in Epson salt and cleaned the feet with peroxide then covered the foot in neo And wrapped in gauze and tape. I don't know what else to do for him. If anyone has seen this or knows what it is please help!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your bird.
hugs.gif
I'm not sure what is wrong, but it may be some other form of bumblefoot. Hopefully, members in the Emergencies section can help.

Welcome to BYC! Ditto to posting in the Emergencies section. Hope your bird's feet improve soon.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry to hear about your bird! He may have bumblefoot. You should get some good help in the Emergencies section.
fl.gif

Good luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like bumblefoot. An infection in the pads from a cut or poke to the pad. You will need to do surgery on the pads to squeeze out all the gunk and keep them wrapped until the pads heal. Usually about a month.

Someone should be able to help you in the emergency section. If not, I can help you through this. Send me a private message and I will walk you through it. :)

Good luck with your birds and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom